Manatees

kmarie10531

I just saw that in chankanaab they have a manatee encounter ?? I've done the dolphin swim I believe at the same place a long time ago . But can someone just give me some info about it ? Like how would we get there from port , how did you like it ? Was it really worth the money ? Also is there time to shop after your excursion ? Thanks for any info in advance

Where are you sailing from? If Tampa, I would suggest you trying a manatee encounter, about 90 miles north of Tampa in Crystal River. The best manatee encounter. Bar none. The best part, they are free to come and go as they please. None are in captivity.

Where are you sailing from? If Tampa, I would suggest you trying a manatee encounter, about 90 miles north of Tampa in Crystal River. The best manatee encounter. Bar none. The best part, they are free to come and go as they please. None are in captivity.

We are leaving out of Port Canaveral

Yes, Chakanaab has manatees. Last year I did the dolphin swim, and they let us in with the manatees at the end.

Just grab a cab there.

Yes, time to shop after. We shopped and had a light lunch.

Can you just swim with the manatees ?? I've swam with dolphins twice already and I'm kind of burnt out with that haha

Can you just swim with the manatees ?? I've swam with dolphins twice already and I'm kind of burnt out with that haha

Yes. There is a separate longer program with just the manatees if you want to purchase that. We did all 3, dolphins, manatees and sea lions. Each one is separate although they have an encounter with the manatees that's part of the Royal swim.

Check dolphin discovery website for details.

Yes, you can book just manatees. I would expect that to have fewer people in the water, as most tourists want dolphins.

Chakanaab is a very pleasant spot to wander, or just sit, or snorkel as well.

The price for the encounter did it include the admission to the park ? I saw online the price but does that include the admission fee too ?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Yes, any of the swims you do includes admission to the park. :)

Can you book these privately? I have looked at other places with swims and normally get told I can't book as I am cruising in. I would love to book privately and not pay the Cruiselines upcharges

I just went on their website to check prices and it looks like you can book directly. They went through a time that if you said you were coming in on certain lines you had to go through cruise ship, but I did not see that just now. The website is dolphin discovery, Cozumel.

We got to swim with the manatees (well not actually "swim", but get in the water with them) after we did the dolphin swim. They were so neat and gentle.

IMG_5859-L.jpg

IMG_5862-M.jpg

Yes! This is exactly where we went too. Thanks for the photos. Back there next month!

Can you book these privately? I have looked at other places with swims and normally get told I can't book as I am cruising in. I would love to book privately and not pay the Cruiselines upcharges

We did. They said you had to book through the ship but we just booked directly on the website. Really, I don't think we saved much after the cab fare but at least we got to do it on our schedule with a smaller group.