Would Anyone Choose Elation over Dream?

Ceece911

I've all ready booked a cove for the Dream sailing 4/14/13, our son's spring break week. This is the first Dream sailing out of NO and it's only a 6 not 7 day western. The Elation will be leaving on the same day on a 5 day western. I didn't book ES so I can change until the end of Jan.

I booked the Dream because I've never been on one of the bigger/newer ships, only the Fantasy and retired Holiday. Due to my son's disability, this may be our last cruise for a LONG time.

Now, I'm wondering if the Dream is worth the extra $600. The extra day doesn't matter to us, the 5 day would actually be more convenient. The ports doesn't matter either.

Looking at just the ships, would anyone choose the Elation over the Dream?

I am not a fan of the Fantasy class, plus I like a balcony, so the Elation would be my second choice.

The Dream is a big ship, does you son's disability make it difficult for him to get around? When we sailed on the Dream we had an elderly couple at our table and she told me the ship was just too big, too much walking, she was going to stick with the smaller ships. So you might want to take that into consideration.

You might want to study the deck plans and think about what you do when you cruise. Other than the fact that the Dream is bigger, I really don't know how different it is from the Elation.

Have been on the Elation twice (the second trip was just this month) and it is an older ship. That being said, it is well maintained and we like the ship just fine. Usual can score a really good rate.

I have also been on the Dream in 2010 when it was new and absolutely loved it! So many things to do and many alternate dining options. I have been on 9 cruises (larger and smaller ships) and I personally prefer the larger ships.

I may not have helped very much, but if the budget works, and you haven't sailed on a bigger ship, you might want to stay with the Dream.

Either way, it is a CRUISE, and you will have a delightful trip. I hope your son enjoys his vacation!:)

Actually, my son won't be going on the cruise, just my husband, 3 year old daughter and myself. My parents are taking my son to visit other relatives for the week. With my son's mental disabilities, he wouldn't do too well on a cruise, which is why we haven't been on a cruise in a while.

We've been on the Elation, fantasy and the Conquest. I know we will have a good time and great time service regardless. Unless you have your heart set on the cove balcony or the water park feature then I would probably go with price.

I'm a little confused about all the mention of your son since he is not going. :confused:

However, based on everything else you wrote, it sounds like you'd rather be on Elation.

Have fun with whichever you decide. :)

My sisters and I went on a 4 day cruise when Elation OTS was on the Pacific Coast. We had a blast!! The cruise director was outstanding! He mad all the special events such fun. But, please remember there were no kids with us. Just a girls cruise. Elation is an older ship, but they were maintaining it very well. We were on this ship in April of 2009. I hope this helps some in your decision making.

I'm not a fan of the Fantasy class ships unless we are strictly sailing on a short, cheapie cruise and we're not expecting much. In fact, our last cruise on a Fantasy class ship almost made me choose to NEVER sail Carnival again.

Thankfully, we did cruise on Carnival again, and it was on the Dream. Not only was the experience much better, it ranked as one of our best Carnival cruises ever (2nd to our Eastern cruise on the Liberty). :D

So I'd pick the Dream. The Elation may be cheaper, but we've learned that cheaper doesn't always mean good.

I have sailed on both and loved both of them. I was on the Dream in Sept. for the 1st time, I went with a group of ladies. Ages ranged from 26-60. We all loved the Dream but all agreed we liked the smaller ships better. We were walking about 4-5 miles a day on the Dream. That did help keep some of the weight off from all the eating we did. We had an DOV on the Dream and it was the best room we ever had. We are thinking about taking a short cruise in January and it will probably be on the Elation.

The Dream has a lot of choices when it comes to eating and we only ate in the main buffet area once.

We just thought the smaller ships felt more relaxed and not as busy.

I too, am a BIG fan of the "Fantasy Class" ships, although I do like "Dream" too. If mobility is a problem, I have no doubt that I'd switch to "Elation". I don't think there's any doubt that you'll have a great time aboard the smaller, Fantasy class ship, and you can enjoy spending that $600 too!

Either way, you're a winner!

"SKY"

all the answers show that everyone has their own style. I prefer the smaller more intimate ships. We cruised the magic a couple years ago and it was just too big and too crowded for my taste. I enjoy getting to know my fellow cruisers, seeing someone act silly then getting to say, hey your that guy, instead of never seeing them again. The lines, the food options, the open areas, the stage shows, the pools, all were very busy and full and it turned me off on the larger ships. That said, unfortunately the smaller ships lack some of the newer nicer amenities, and the elation doesn't have any of the newer 2.0 upgrades that Im aware of.....gonna miss those guys burgers :rolleyes:

The Dream will have a lot more food and entertainment options. The oceanview rooms are bigger on the Dream, and there are many balconies (which are not available on the Elation). The rooms also have a "cooler" (not really a refrigerator). The Dream has a very nice Waterpark as well. If any or all of these things would enhance your experience, then I would sail the Dream. If budget is a big concern, than the Elation would be a fine choice as well - it just won't have all the bells and whistles that the Dream has.

I'll give a thumbs up to the Elation and her crew. Sure, she's an older ship, but very well maintained and crewed. I would have no problem going again if the itinerary was interesting.

Having said that, I'm currently booked on a western Caribbean on the Sunshine in January!

Been on both, and like them both for different reasons. We did the Dream last week, and she is a beautiful ship. That said, she is so big that I never did get tp see it all in the 7 days onboard lol! Elation was smaller, but to be the layout was spot on. Very convenient!

Im probably not any help, because I haven't met a cruise ship I didn't like lol!

I will say that experiencing a cove is awesome. Being that close to the water is magical!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I think I'll keep my Dream booking. I've been wanting to try a Cove since the Dream was introduced.

Thanks to this forum, I did just change my room from under the galley to under the dining waiting area. The room I had 2414 had bad reviews on here.

The Dream carries over 4000 passengers, whereas the Elation is just at 2000. My wife has cruised on the Elation with her parents, and had a great time. The extra day in some cases simply means an extra day at sea, and unless you get involved in the games, etc., it's a "lost" day between ports, or getting to and from the home port. Since New Orleans is so close to us, our next cruises will probably be on the Elation & Dream after she moves to New Orleans next year.

If not going in a while..definitely pick newer ship with more options and wow..that cove balcony would cinch it for me.

However, get a great deal on a Fantasy class when you deperately need it and still go, they are sleepers..I think you can get special attention, special dining room experiences..in what used to be Large amt of passengers and now is medium to small with so many mass market newer ships!! They will phase out,,this size..sadly for me..now they are fun history too..how fast is goes..Sarah

I've been on Imagination, Inspiration and Paradise. I do really like the Fantasy class ships.

That said, I've been on the Breeze for a 2 night cruise (equivalent to Dream), and liked that too.

If this was going to be my last cruise for a while, I'd definitely splurge and go on the Dream! and the balcony!

Archived