Driving in Key West

waterbugohio

There is a lot of construction as you enter Key West (the main island). Just follow the detours and you'll be through it in no time. If you are staying downtown, once you drive through the construction you won't be bothered by it again. I was last there 2 months ago so maybe it's better now.

also, unless you have your own sun pass, if you are getting a rental car, look into activating the one on the car, or what your options are. There are many tolls on the way thru Miami and they are electronic. They will bill the car rental place, who will turn around and bill you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

also, unless you have your own sun pass, if you are getting a rental car, look into activating the one on the car, or what your options are. There are many tolls on the way thru Miami and they are electronic. They will bill the car rental place, who will turn around and bill you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You don't have to go through tolls if you take I95 to US1, but it will take an extra hour that way. The fastest way to the Keys is to take the turnpike all the way south to the end to US1, and you cannot avoid tolls on that route.

You don't have to go through tolls if you take I95 to US1, but it will take an extra hour that way. The fastest way to the Keys is to take the turnpike all the way south to the end to US1, and you cannot avoid tolls on that route.

royal,

want to thank you for all your advice. I know we will take the toll road, but still the curiousness in me, makse me have to ask why?

In looking at a map it looks like the toll road is further east (inland) than I95, so you would need to travel further to catch the toll road. If that is the case, than why would I95 take so much longer?? Is it the fact of going thru Miami that takes so much longer.

I'm not second guessing all the great advice on here, just always curious

royal,

want to thank you for all your advice. I know we will take the toll road, but still the curiousness in me, makse me have to ask why?

In looking at a map it looks like the toll road is further east (inland) than I95, so you would need to travel further to catch the toll road. If that is the case, than why would I95 take so much longer?? Is it the fact of going thru Miami that takes so much longer.

I'm not second guessing all the great advice on here, just always curious

Because I-95 ends on the south side of Downtown Miami and US-1 is nothing but stoplights every few blocks. I made that mistake once and it's a very frustrating drive.

Yup, that's it. I had to go somewhere on US1 down there last week...it took about 90 minutes taking I95 from Fort Lauderdale and I didn't even get halfway through the high traffic area. I didn't take the turnpike because where I was going was closer to where I95 ends than where the turpike ends. US1 is always a mess down there so avoid it at all costs.

Archived