Hawaii-Which Island 4 Best Diving

Socref124

We are starting to look for a vacation in Hawaii in January of 2015 :D and would like to know which island has the best diving. Also, we will be looking for a good dive company. Any help will be greatly appreciated. We might cruise on the POA but will probably do a week at a resort. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Maui and by extension Molokini is the best for diving if limited to a single island. If you can, go to big island / big island divers and do their night dive with the Manta rays, simply awe inspiring.

( I am a native Hawaiian that move to the mainland may years ago, but I visit often )

Hands down Big Island Kona coast.

I've dove in Oahu, Kona, and Maui/Molokini.

Oahu has decent diving with some good wrecks, and the Makaha Cavern in the west is very good. Can see some big turtles. But need to do more research to know the dive ops. Some have a shop and no boat. Some have boat(s) and no shop. Some have both. And lots of brokers that have neither. Of course it's best to go with the ones that have their own boats, so you have better chance to go to the sites you want.

Molokini is good, especially the back wall. But have to get up very earlier, as the boats leave very early. Trade wind picks up in later morning, noon.

Kona was great. Better coral growth, more colorful, healthy marine life. Lots of good shops (that have their own boats). The night Manta Ray dive is world famous.

If you're staying a week, go with Kona.

Archived