Cruising with Zay - A Breakaway Review

TnomadX

Thank you Zay! Preparing for our Christmas cruise and it was so much fun to read about yours.

You have a great attitude and don't seem to let the little things get you down. As you said, it's vacation, enjoy it! So what if dinner is slow… someone is cooking and cleaning up for you, be happy!

And a special thank you for posting the dailies!

Hi Zay:)

Pete and I have been enjoying your review of our cruise on the Breakaway! We had a great time and it sounds like you did too....too bad we didn't run into each other again after the first day. Thanks again for the tour of the Studios!

Kathy

Since we booked our up coming cruise I have had to start using a walker. Will I have a problem using the tender and also on the island? Your review is so enjoyable and so informative. Thank you for taking so much time to do this for the rest of us. Great job.

Hi Zay:)

Pete and I have been enjoying your review of our cruise on the Breakaway! We had a great time and it sounds like you did too....too bad we didn't run into each other again after the first day. Thanks again for the tour of the Studios!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy. I'm glad we got to spend some. Time together on the first day. I was hoping to run I to you all again as well. I hope to keep in touch.

Zay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

I wanna cruise with Zay! Beautiful pictures and a very informative review. Thanks again !

~robin and brian

Carnival Legend 2008

Carnival Miracle 2010

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

You can cruise with me anytime. I promise I'm a lot of fun :)

Thank you Zay! Preparing for our Christmas cruise and it was so much fun to read about yours.

You have a great attitude and don't seem to let the little things get you down. As you said, it's vacation, enjoy it! So what if dinner is slow… someone is cooking and cleaning up for you, be happy!

And a special thank you for posting the dailies!

Thanks so much. I appreciate you hanging in there with me

Really enjoyed your review and loved your detail. Thanks for sharing.

You are very welcome. My pleasure to share. I hope you have fun on your cruise. Don't forget to let us know how it was.

Since we booked our up coming cruise I have had to start using a walker. Will I have a problem using the tender and also on the island? Your review is so enjoyable and so informative. Thank you for taking so much time to do this for the rest of us. Great job.

You should be fine. The staff will assist you getting back on the tender. Thanks do much for following me. Have fun on your cruise.

Thank you so much for posting such a detailed review. I very much appreciate it. I am cruising with my family in Dec, and we have not cruised since 2005 when my family included just my husband/I. I admit to being quite nervous, but your review helped me to overcome that a bit! Thanks again!

Hi again, so sorry to see your posts end; I have really enjoyed them! Did you hear any feedback about Ocean Blue? I am trying to decide whether or not to spend the money for dinner there. You have me really excited about the Second City shows and I can't wait to do the lunch event.

As an aside, I think it'd really funny that NCL started the freestyle (flexible) meal gig and then it becomes somewhat inflexible as a result of delayed service with regard to getting to a planned show time. Fortunately I can be really flexible when needed, as long as I get a great meal and a great show sometime in the course of an evening, LOL! My husband and I have always had the strategy of skipping desert until after the show; this helps the waistline and if we still really want it after the show, we go for it!

I will really miss your delightful posts now that you are done with your review. I am going to stay subscribed to this thread and I really hope you'll post a review here OR will post a link here to your future Princess review. I am really a Princess fan at heart, and I'll be interested in what your experience is on your future cruise. Kind regards, Laurie

Edited by ljandiernp

Zay I think your review was one of the best I have ever read. I could not stop reading it and read it through in one seating. It brought back some very fond memories for me of both my cruise on Breakaway which was to Bermuda, and of the Florida/Bahamas run that I took on the Jewel.

O'Sheehans was one of my favorite places on board. That pot pie is just fantastic! Get that and a good cup of coffee after. a long night of imbibing and it fixes you right up. Seems like you missed Teppenaki and Moderno both of which are great; did you like the pretzel rolls?

For any readers thinking about Nassau there's a place that's walking distance from the ship called the British Colonial Hilton. It has a small private beach that you get pretty much to yourself. For about $50 you get full use of the hotels facilities including showers. There is a lovely bungalow overlooking the bay that serves lunch and drinks and they are well covered because your ticket comes with a $30.00 food voucher. The beach is crowded with available chairs that all have umbrellas. They also give you a beach towel to use. It's a really nice place, a bit staid and quiet, but you really relax.

Anyway I don't want to go taking over your review. You have special talents Zay, not only in writing but in the way that you seem to get so many people to open up to you. I am certain you are a great friend to have. You really should go out for a cruise director position. You're a natural my friend! :D

Hi again, so sorry to see your posts end; I have really enjoyed them! Did you hear any feedback about Ocean Blue? I am trying to decide whether or not to spend the money for dinner there. You have me really excited about the Second City shows and I can't wait to do the lunch event.

As an aside, I think it'd really funny that NCL started the freestyle (flexible) meal gig and then it becomes somewhat inflexible as a result of delayed service with regard to getting to a planned show time. Fortunately I can be really flexible when needed, as long as I get a great meal and a great show sometime in the course of an evening, LOL! My husband and I have always had the strategy of skipping desert until after the show; this helps the waistline and if we still really want it after the show, we go for it!

I will really miss your delightful posts now that you are done with your review. I am going to stay subscribed to this thread and I really hope you'll post a review here OR will post a link here to your future Princess review. I am really a Princess fan at heart, and I'll be interested in what your experience is on your future cruise. Kind regards, Laurie

Thank you so very much. I really appreciate the kind words. Please stay subscribed as I plan to do more reviews. I've got a few more cruises coming up, and I plan to review them the exact same way. I have really enjoyed this very much. There are some things that I have forgotten about, and as i remember them, I will post them here as well.

Actually...I didn't hear much feedback about Ocean Blue at all. I thought about going there, but time didn't allow me to. I am excited about the Princess Cruise as well, and looking forward to sailing.

Thanks again for following me 'til the end. I can't wait to hear about your experience.

Thank you so much for posting such a detailed review. I very much appreciate it. I am cruising with my family in Dec, and we have not cruised since 2005 when my family included just my husband/I. I admit to being quite nervous, but your review helped me to overcome that a bit! Thanks again!

Don't be nervous at all. Overall, I think you'll have a great time. The shows are great, and there's always something to do. Just remember to there may be delays in service. There IS some good food onboard. If you have an active roll call, it's going to be an excellent cruise.

Thanks so much for following me. I know you will have a fantastic time on your cruise.

Zay I think your review was one of the best I have ever read. I could not stop reading it and read it through in one seating. It brought back some very fond memories for me of both my cruise on Breakaway which was to Bermuda, and of the Florida/Bahamas run that I took on the Jewel.

O'Sheehans was one of my favorite places on board. That pot pie is just fantastic! Get that and a good cup of coffee after. a long night of imbibing and it fixes you right up. Seems like you missed Teppenaki and Moderno both of which are great; did you like the pretzel rolls?

For any readers thinking about Nassau there's a place that's walking distance from the ship called the British Colonial Hilton. It has a small private beach that you get pretty much to yourself. For about $50 you get full use of the hotels facilities including showers. There is a lovely bungalow overlooking the bay that serves lunch and drinks and they are well covered because your ticket comes with a $30.00 food voucher. The beach is crowded with available chairs that all have umbrellas. They also give you a beach towel to use. It's a really nice place, a bit staid and quiet, but you really relax.

Anyway I don't want to go taking over your review. You have special talents Zay, not only in writing but in the way that you seem to get so many people to open up to you. I am certain you are a great friend to have. You really should go out for a cruise director position. You're a natural my friend! :D

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the kind words. I really enjoyed writing the review, and I was hoping it would help others relive their cruise experience as well as be informative for others.

Thanks for the input about the Bahamas. I forgot about that as well. And don't worry. I didn't think you were taking over. All help is appreciated :)

I really wish I had the recipe for that Pot Pie. It really was good. Everyone who went to Teppenaki and Moderno raved about them. They thoroughly enjoyed their meals very much. I really hate I didn't get to try Moderno. I've never had Brazilian food before, and a couple of my friends really, really, really liked it. They have an all you can eat salad bar there, and I would have been in heaven...lol. Maybe next time :)

Thanks again for the kind words. I really do enjoy making people happy. It's what brings me the greatest joy. I don't think I've ever met a stranger. I hope that never changes :)

Edited by TnomadX

When in Nassau, PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY DRUGS!!!! One of our fellow passengers did and got arrested. Imagine what it's going to cost him to get home.

Zay, you are absolutely right! This advice applies to all the ports during a cruise. This happened to someone on our sailing two years ago. There was a family (of about 12 people) who went on the same excursion and was with us in Belize. When we returned to the port area, a member of that family bought drugs from someone. He was arrested and his family had to continue their cruise without him. They were VERY upset, saying he will not be joining them for any future family cruises.

Awesome review. We'll be leaving on the Breakaway 11/17/13 with a friend that really loves Fire & Ice. Was it mentioned how much longer they will be on the ship? I know they do go home for the holidays so we're hoping they will still be onboard when we get there.

Did you talk to anyone staying in the Haven suites? Wondering what they had to say?

Thanks again!!!!

Great review Zay! I'm glad you had a good experience in Cagney's - our server was terrible! It took 20 minutes for him just to come over to our table. The assistant waiter was great but the head waiter not so much. We ate there on the same night - sorry I missed you. I actually kept looking for you because you were the only one on the thread with a picture of themselves. The service definitely was lacking. Another gripe with me was holding events in the Atrium. Way too crowded!

We had orange tags but we didn't wait to be called off. We just went for it and no one said anything! We exited through the front of the ship only to be herded back with all the aft debarkies. It was a mess!

Hi Zay - I read EVERY word of this review - very thorough, honest and balanced!! I can't wait to sail on the Breakaway for the New Year's Eve holiday week.

You answered so many of my questions and reinforced a lot of what others have posted.

One quick question remains!!! I have been to GSC on the Jewel - our group rented two cabanas and had a fun day. Is the lagoon area you described beyond the Cabana area?? I'm thinking that the main part of the island will be very crowded since it's a holiday vacation week - so, we'd like to find the quieter Lagoon area that you described. Thanks again!!

I will be traveling with a friend using a scooter, will we be able to get to SPice H20 area you are talking about for sail away?

No problem getting to Spice. You need to use the aft elevators. The only trick is that there are 6 elevators, 3 on each side. One side goes to deck 16, the other only goes to deck 15. So, if you take the elevator that only goes to 15, you'll need to get out and wait to take the other one up another deck. Spice was our spot for the week. Just loved it there. Enjoy!

Everyone keeps mentioning that pot pie. Guess I'm just going to have to make it this weekend since I missed getting it on the ship. If that's my only disappointment, not a bad trip.

Everyone with upcoming cruises - have fun! We sure did.

No problem getting to Spice. You need to use the aft elevators. The only trick is that there are 6 elevators, 3 on each side. One side goes to deck 16, the other only goes to deck 15. So, if you take the elevator that only goes to 15, you'll need to get out and wait to take the other one up another deck. Spice was our spot for the week. Just loved it there. Enjoy!

Everyone keeps mentioning that pot pie. Guess I'm just going to have to make it this weekend since I missed getting it on the ship. If that's my only disappointment, not a bad trip.

Everyone with upcoming cruises - have fun! We sure did.

What about private island. She has a walker and I thought this would be a better choice since scooter would probably not do well there. Do you think we can get some assistance (ex. transportation to lounges).

Zay, you are absolutely right! This advice applies to all the ports during a cruise. This happened to someone on our sailing two years ago. There was a family (of about 12 people) who went on the same excursion and was with us in Belize. When we returned to the port area, a member of that family bought drugs from someone. He was arrested and his family had to continue their cruise without him. They were VERY upset, saying he will not be joining them for any future family cruises.

What a great disappointment for the family. I know it must have ben stressful for them to have to deal with something like that on their vacation. It definitely would make me upset if I had to deal with something like that.

Thank you so much for following my review to the end. :)