Altun Ha Excursions - how much time at site?

wendynat

We'll be on the Legend this coming April, and I'm researching excursions. There are two to Altun Ha - the bus through the city/Ruins tour or the River/Ruins tour.

I've searched the forum, but didn't see an answer to my specific question (probably missed it!): which tour gives more time at the Ruins site? From some of the reviews, it sounded like the River tour version may have a shorter time at the ruins.

• 2 weeks later...
Altum Ha is small compared to some others. We did the River Wallace/Altum Ha instead of the city option. We really liked the idea of seeing things on a boat instead of on the bus both ways. We got more than adequate time at the site and enjoyed the River after lunch.

Was this through Carnival or a private tour company?

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have a rough idea of how much time you got at the ruins? Some reviews sounded like the river portion took a lot of the time. Did the river combo trip give you enough time at port to look around? (I'm thinking of a quick stop in the chocolate place :) )

I did this one a few years back and enjoyed it. Most important thing I remember is bring bug spray. The ruins are really right in the middle of the forest and the mosquitoes are the size of small birds!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We took a trip with an associate of Major Tom and were treated to a wonderful talk on the Mayan history at Altun Ha by Major Tom.

We booked this outside the terminal enclosure on the street, but Major Tom has a website and offers all types of tours.

It was a very good trip and reasonable in price. Worth looking into ! He is truly a gentleman !

Edited by swedish weave

We took the River / Altun tour through Carnival last Dec. It was well done. We were on the river and Caribbean about 1.5 hours. Guide stopped to show us wild life all along the boat ride. Got off the boat to have a lunch that was very taste and then got on a bus to the ruins. Did not take too long to get to the ruins. The guide on the bus told us what was outside the bus and also about the economy and such of Belize. Spent about 1.5 hours at the ruins and climbed a couple of them. We were the last tour to show up to the ruins and there was only about 30 of us there. Guide was very good and very laid back. She let everyone shop and we headed back to the ship. Looked at my watch and saw we had 10 minutes until the ship left. It took about 50 minutes to get back to the ship and they waited for all of us to get on. Glad we booked this one through Carnival.

First time posting, so I am not sure how this will look. pics are from the tour.

cc1wc.jpg.1ef1bffb91ed5fa52657df1ac0b5f41e.jpg

cc2wc.jpg.39a3bc1aed47bae4c2b0c680c4a2de6a.jpg

cc4wc.jpg.c0027b152c2ae6dde8c2c89766437601.jpg

cc5wc.jpg.40d4ec173f211f67a4df75ba500c9f1f.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far - keep 'em coming, anyone who's been on either excursion. :)

Laszlo, hope your cruise is fantastic, and I appreciate the offer to let me know how the timing is for your trip.

vjl67 - I've put bug spray on the list!

Broncorick - Wow - those are great pictures! Thanks for the feedback on the excursion, especially the detailed time info :).

We took the River / Altun tour through Carnival last Dec. It was well done. We were on the river and Caribbean about 1.5 hours. Guide stopped to show us wild life all along the boat ride. Got off the boat to have a lunch that was very taste and then got on a bus to the ruins. Did not take too long to get to the ruins. The guide on the bus told us what was outside the bus and also about the economy and such of Belize. Spent about 1.5 hours at the ruins and climbed a couple of them. We were the last tour to show up to the ruins and there was only about 30 of us there. Guide was very good and very laid back. She let everyone shop and we headed back to the ship. Looked at my watch and saw we had 10 minutes until the ship left. It took about 50 minutes to get back to the ship and they waited for all of us to get on. Glad we booked this one through Carnival.

First time posting, so I am not sure how this will look. pics are from the tour.

Nice first post! Well done.

If you've been to other ruins, Altun Ha might be a big let down. Your pic shows there's just not much to see.

Our river ride was 45 min, 10 of which the guide spent going in circles trying to find a manatee he never found. Very, very hot! Make sure you have a hat, sunscreen and bug spray. We saw birds, no other wildlife. We spent about 75 minutes at the ruins. Bored after the first 10 min.

CrusinpsychRN - We've never been to any ruins before, so I don't think we'll be disappointed, but I understand what you mean for people who've been to the bigger sites already :).

Do they have signs and info boards, etc, around the ruins or in a place near the front? DH has a history degree, and we tend to spend more time looking at things and places than most people. I'm also interested in the local shops near the site, so if I get bored before he does I can shop!

It seems like everyone really enjoyed the river part, but we might end up on the city tour due to a) two hours in heat on boat with no shade + two whiner guys (DH and DS) and b) we want to have some time back at the port area to check out the shops there and the chocolate place.

Has anyone been on the City tour and can give some input on the time spent at the ruins?

Thanks huge amounts to everyone who's posted so far - so much help here!!