Does Carnival Charge your CC before boarding?

psadvocate

I put my CC to use my Sail Pass a long time ago, and didn't notice any charges - my sail mate just did it today and Carnival charged her credit card $200 and said anythign she didn't use, she would be reimbursed my check. Was my CC billed $200 months ago when I signed up for the cruise?

Has anyone had any issues getting a check refund?

They do verify you cc before you board. It is much like they do when you check into a hotel. They charge the card at the end. Depending on the amounts of days the verify 200 pp (not sure of they actual amt). if you go over, they verify your card again and sometimes call you if they need you permission or card is declined.

I put my CC to use my Sail Pass a long time ago, and didn't notice any charges - my sail mate just did it today and Carnival charged her credit card $200 and said anythign she didn't use, she would be reimbursed my check. Was my CC billed $200 months ago when I signed up for the cruise?

Signing up for, or booking a cruise normally requires a deposit of amount you mentioned, then the final payment is usually about 70 days prior to the cruise, so yes they do charge your credit card.

To my knowledge they don't charge ahead of time, perhaps a hold, but then again never heard of it being in advance. At check in, you are asked if charges will be on the card they have on record, another one, or even take off the card and use cash.

From Carnival's web site;.. (FYI, if you give them all your CC info for your sign and sail card by checking in online before you sail, they won't do anything to your card until embarkation day.)

How is my credit card charged?

During embarkation, when your credit card is swiped, an initial hold of $100 (for cruises 5 days or less) or $200 (for cruises 6 days or more). Then, throughout the voyage incremental holds will be obtained as needed. You should know, this will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in the checking/debit account. Authorization hold releases to your account is entirely up to your issuing bank.

All charges will be automatically billed at the end of the voyage. On the final morning of the cruise, a statement detailing all purchases made with your Sail & Sign card will be delivered to your stateroom. If you made a cash deposit and there is an overpayment at the end of the cruise, you can cash-out at the onboard Sail & Sign Kiosk or with the Guest Services team – otherwise, you will receive the overpayment in the form of a refund check mailed directly to the address on file within 7 days of your cruise.

Cash Deposit:

U.S. Currency and Traveler's Checks may be used to open your Sail & Sign Account. Once on board, please visit our Guest Services Desk who will gladly assist you in opening your account. Throughout the cruise, as you approach the deposit limit, our Guest Services Desk will notify you that additional money must be deposited.

"Recommended" deposits per sailing duration:

2-4 day cruises: $100 USD deposit pp

5-8 day cruises: $200 USD deposit pp

9+ day cruises: $350 USD deposit pp

Signing up for, or booking a cruise normally requires a deposit of amount you mentioned, then the final payment is usually about 70 days prior to the cruise, so yes they do charge your credit card.

I'm wondering if this person is getting deposit on the cruise mixed up with the spending part of the cruise. They don't put a hold on the card until you get on the ship itself.

We were on our way to the port and about 9:00 my card was charged $200. (I have alerts set up that I receive an email every time a charge is made). The charge was a "hold" and since we did not spend that amount we were only charged the amount spent. (we prepaid tips ahead of time, I can't stand a large bill at the end of vacation).