swimming attire on splendida?

arboreal

Hello everyone! First post on the forums, and it's kind of a random question... I know in public swimming pools in some parts of Europe men are required to wear Speedos rather than trunks... is that the case on the MSC line? And if it's not required, can anyone who's sailed the mediterranean routes give me an idea of what the norm is?

Thanks!

Hello everyone! First post on the forums, and it's kind of a random question... I know in public swimming pools in some parts of Europe men are required to wear Speedos rather than trunks... is that the case on the MSC line? And if it's not required, can anyone who's sailed the mediterranean routes give me an idea of what the norm is?

Thanks!

In north America Speedos is not a norm :p

Mandatory Speedos? heh

You DO NOT want that to be a rule. TRUST me. :p

Some French public swimming pools have that rule for hygiene reasons. Evidently they are concerned that boards shorts/other types of male swim attire may be worn as outdoor wear and therefore not clean on but don't think any one would be wearing speedos outdoors before coming to the pool!

I'm used to seeing guys in speedos on beaches, pools and ships (but not so much on the UK unless they are divers). It's the manikins I can't comprehend. Why would anyone willing wear one of those unless on a stag party or doing it for a bet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi manniebelle,

Could you please help with any info regarding cruising on the Splendida.

We are travelling from Australia to board in Marseille later this month and to be honest I feel a bit abandoned by the agency. I booked directly with MSC in Sydney and now I'm not sure what we might need to know.

For one thing the process of getting to the port and then onboard seems very vague.

I sound pathetic I guess but as a past passenger are you able to give any helpful info about the ship, the trip and your experience?

Thanks in advance,

J

Hi manniebelle,

Could you please help with any info regarding cruising on the Splendida.

We are travelling from Australia to board in Marseille later this month and to be honest I feel a bit abandoned by the agency. I booked directly with MSC in Sydney and now I'm not sure what we might need to know.

For one thing the process of getting to the port and then onboard seems very vague.

I sound pathetic I guess but as a past passenger are you able to give any helpful info about the ship, the trip and your experience?

Thanks in advance,

J

I suggest you start a separate thread asking for this information. Your request is a bit lost here in the swimming attire debate.

Tim.

Now I don't want to be pedantic but I will be anyway for the greater good of this discussion. Speedo "is a manufacturer and distributor of swimwear and swim-related accessories", i.e. Speedo is a brand name. It is associated with swimming trunks (nylon-elastane briefs) but also makes swimming shorts and every other type of swimming garment. The common meaning of 'Speedos' however is swimming trunks.

I can confirm that in public swimming pools in France, men are not allowed to wear shorts and must wear trunks.

On an MSC ship, anything goes apart from nudity. That does not mean you won't be shocked by what some people wear. I was particularly struck by the old Brazillian men wearing skimpy fluorescent 'Speedos' on the Fantasia. I am not sure what look they were trying to achieve and could not imagine how that fashion faux-pas got started.

Anything more modest than that and no one is going to look.