Picture Heavy Review - Freedom Western 10/13/2013

jmak315

Just my two cents.... I don't think the food suffers due to the size of the ship. Last year we did Vision, Freedom, Voyager, Allure, and Oasis. I found the food consistent. I, personally, like the food. As the OP said, some hits, some misses. But all in all it's pretty good.

As for service, I found a few years ago that, in my opinion, the service had improved significantly. But it does seem our Freedom cruises (last 2 New Years) was the "least" in terms of service. On one, our Cabin Attendant just "wasn't happy." She did a more than adequate job, but her personality just wasn't there. Then one day (around day 3) my wife and I, while waiting for our friends, began talking to her in the hall. She had been on the ship for many months, it was the holidays, and she had kids at home. Ok, that certainly may explain it. And, after we chatted, her attitude definitely picked up.

Last New Years it was our waiter. She was more than efficient, but still no personality. Never figured that one out. But we found most everyone else to be fine.

We are doing Freedom again this New Years. We are going with my son and daughter-in-law. He is a Navy Pilot and will be deploying shortly after the cruise. We want them to really love it. I am a bit concerned as I have read too many posts about the "service" on Freedom. I can say without hesitation that this is not the case on Voyager, Vision, Allure, or Oasis. So why Freedom???? Maybe a "change at the top" is warranted. Seems the Hotel Captain needs to step up.

Any other experiences lately with Freedom?

I would like the compasses and the bar menu please. Is it easier for you to email them to me, or to post them on your review?

Also, did you book the Dolphin excursion that you did in Cozumel thru the ship, or independently?

Thank you!

Cindy

I can post them here :)

I would like the compasses and the bar menu please. Is it easier for you to email them to me, or to post them on your review?

Also, did you book the Dolphin excursion that you did in Cozumel thru the ship, or independently?

Thank you!

Cindy

We booked direct with the company, Dolphin Discovery - Buy One Get One For $1.00.

Actually, here is the link to my photo stream for compasses:

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/jadaknox5/library/?sort=3&page=1

For the alcohol menu (pictures taken with Fuji FinePix X60 for the menu):

http://flic.kr/ps/2CeGWc

Awesome! Just what I needed to get me through the next 4 weeks before heading out for a little Freedom for our family. Thank you so much! :):p

Great review and photos. We'll be on the FOTS, for the first time, in April 2014. My hubby and I are not soda drinkers, so we don't purchase the soda package. Other posters have reported that, when they purchased the beverage package, it was difficult getting service by the pool since gratuities were already included in the package, and the servers preferred to wait on "paying" customers (not exclusive to RCCL). Although we are not big drinkers, we do enjoy having a glass of wine with dinner, so we usually purchase the dinner-wine package.

IMO, I believe that service on cruise ships has declined since most cruise lines push for prepaid gratuities. :(

Great review.

I was another one on this cruise and have to say that Freedom now is my new favorite ship!

That being said, I felt the service on this cruise to be lacking compared to others. We never received any letter regarding the towel animals but I'm not surprised as our stateroom attendant was not as visible as in past cruises and for a few days in a row did not remove our room service breakfast items.

Our dining room team had their hands full with a large table next to ours so we had to wait for them to take our drink orders and then another long wait for food orders. One evening we got our food and we pretty disappointed with the taste. They did offer to bring other entrees but by that time it was past 9:30 pm and I couldn't imagine waiting another half hour for them to return. I can't say if the lack of "wow" factor in the service department was due to the ship's size but my experiences on smaller ships have been the exact opposite.

We were on the ship this cruise and then also did the western the week after. We love freedom of the seas, we had no experiences of lacklustre service or food at all - either week.

Falmouth - the port area is nice and we got a taxi to red stripe beach which was beautiful and we had a lovely day here. Previously we have been river tubing in Jamaica which we also enjoyed. All the ports were good for different reasons:)