Corcovado and Sugar Loaf in one afternoon?

gatorpower

We are flying into Rio on Jan 2, at 11:30 am for a cruise that begins on Jan 4. We are meeting a friend on Jan 3 that has already seen Corcovado and Sugar Loaf. We are staying at the Sheraton Rio. Is it feasible for us to go to Corcovado and Sugar Loaf on the afternoon of Jan. 2?

We are flying into Rio on Jan 2, at 11:30 am for a cruise that begins on Jan 4. We are meeting a friend on Jan 3 that has already seen Corcovado and Sugar Loaf. We are staying at the Sheraton Rio. Is it feasible for us to go to Corcovado and Sugar Loaf on the afternoon of Jan. 2?

Unless you are contestants in a reality show, it's not something you want to do. However, if someone would be filming you as you attempt to do both in 1 aftrnoon (not day) then post it on youtube. It would be fun to watch the madness.

Yes, it could be done, on a purely time/ distance basis. I suspect the lines for the train up Corcovado might be quite long, but Sugarloaf is nice at sunset.

Whether anyone would really want to is another question. They are both somewhat similar in that they have views out over the city, as do the vista points up in Tijuca. There's only so much of that to see before you get visual overload.

The Sheraton Rio is not very convenient to any sights, but you can have lunch in the favela easily.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. VidaNaPraia, I thought a favela was a shantytown. Where would you go for lunch?

Yes a favela is a shantytown, and one (Vigidal) happens to be the nearest habitation to the Sheraton. Just cross the street and find a restaurant.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. VidaNaPraia, I thought a favela was a shantytown. Where would you go for lunch?

Try Fellini, a "quilo" (by weight) restaurant about a 20 minute walk from the Sheraton on Av General Urquiza 3 blocks in from the beach in Leblon. Excellent food for reasonable prices. Great desserts, too.

Yes a favela is a shantytown, and one (Vigidal) happens to be the nearest habitation to the Sheraton. Just cross the street and find a restaurant.

Finding a restaurant in Vidigal would entail a walk up the entry street off Av Oscar Neimeyer past Av Vidigal (where I used to live) into the midst of the favela. I would definitely not recommend this to any tourists. No way. I lived there and wouldn't go into the favela without someone local and not many non-favela locals would want to do it either.

Edited by pmacher61

I have read that Jobi in Leblon is a good seafood restaurant. Is it close to the Sheraton Rio?

Toward Rio, about a mile. Looks like there's a bus route for most (mebbe all) of the way.

I don't know the area at all, but from hotel reviews, photos, and comments on this thread, Leblon would be a much much better bet than Vidigal, which appears to be a rather run-down shanty town though certainly not as grim as many favelas.

Leblon, certainly in the vicinity of Jobi, appears to be modern Anytown and Jobi is on an Anytown main street, amongst offices, shops & other bars & restaurants. And appears to be safe and errrrr...... "normal".

Eating in Vidigal would give you a "local" experience, Jobi will perhaps be more bland, but I'm pretty sure you'd feel a whole lot more comfortable there.

To stress, this from research (yes, it's raining & I'm bored ;)) & not from personal knowledge.

Here's the route from your hotel & a street-view of Jobi.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Sheraton+Rio+-+Avenida+Niemeyer,+Leblon,+Rio+de+Janeiro,+Brazil&daddr=Av.+Ataulfo+de+Paiva&hl=en&ll=-22.988699,-43.231459&spn=0.012642,0.043216&sll=-22.98858,-43.229399&sspn=0.013926,0.021608&geocode=FVAqof4d0U9s_SGAcQVxi9iN0SkDyW8ETNSbADGAcQVxi9iN0Q%3BFUlFof4dkGls_Q&oq=Avenida+Ataulfo+de+Paiva&doflg=ptm&mra=luc&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=-22.98544,-43.226846&panoid=6ki_4MzDWcUCI_vVm38TMA&cbp=11,320.95,,0,0

You'll not be able to access it if you've not installed Googlemap/Google Earth on your computer.

Very well-worthwhile installing Googlemap/Google Earth, it costs nothing (at least, not in the UK), and it's a tremendously useful tool for the traveller anywhere in the world. I use it, for instance, to see if my bus will go under low bridges on an intended route cos you can even read road-signs.

And here's a tongue-in-cheek take on Google Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRRd6kHoBeU

JB :)

Finding a restaurant in Vidigal would entail a walk up the entry street off Av Oscar Neimeyer past Av Vidigal (where I used to live) into the midst of the favela. I would definitely not recommend this to any tourists. No way. I lived there and wouldn't go into the favela without someone local and not many non-favela locals would want to do it either.

That was kind of the point--that the Sheraton is inconveniently located for the type of tourist that would choose to stay there. Many future guests don't realize that when they book.

However, if you have never been to Vidigal, or not recently(within the last couple of years), please don't make assumptions about what it's like these days;many of the favelas have changed drastically since the UPP police posts arrived. You can see reports on TA of tourists who have comfortably eaten and shopped there while staying at the Sheraton. And quite a few who've chosen to stay in the pousada/hostel right in Vigidal.

It's odd that favela tourism is surging in popularity, but the advice is still put out there about the dangers of merely entering.

"Locals", IMO, are some of the most prejudiced when it comes to favela residents, and are responsible for the discrimination suffered by those residents in employment, so it is not surprising they would not venture into Vidigal.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I have read that Jobi in Leblon is a good seafood restaurant. Is it close to the Sheraton Rio?

Jobi is a famous bar - it is not a good restaurant. Fellini is a very good choice for seafood, too. The best seafood place is Shirley's in Leme, but that's a 20 minute cab ride. You will eat very well for $$ reasonable prices (lunch = $40 for 2). For great Portuguese food including seafood at $$$$ prices you want Antiquarius in Leblon (10 minutes from Sheraton) but open for dinner only. Many rate this as the best restaurant in Rio. I do.

Edited by pmacher61

That was kind of the point--that the Sheraton is inconveniently located for the type of tourist that would choose to stay there. Many future guests don't realize that when they book.

However, if you have never been to Vidigal, or not recently(within the last couple of years), please don't make assumptions about what it's like these days;many of the favelas have changed drastically since the UPP police posts arrived. You can see reports on TA of tourists who have comfortably eaten and shopped there while staying at the Sheraton. And quite a few who've chosen to stay in the pousada/hostel right in Vigidal.

It's odd that favela tourism is surging in popularity, but the advice is still put out there about the dangers of merely entering.

"Locals", IMO, are some of the most prejudiced when it comes to favela residents, and are responsible for the discrimination suffered by those residents in employment, so it is not surprising they would not venture into Vidigal.

I lived on Av Vidigal directly across the street from the Sheraton for a few months back in 1976 before my guesthouse became Bar Zeppelin, but I lived in Leblon (a few blocks from the Sheraton) continuously for the past 13 years until May of this year. Largely because of the World Cup and Olympics there has been some real estate speculation in parts of Vidigal, the lower part along Av Vidigal. Further up the hill the favela remains a place tourists should not stroll around in - even during the day.

Contrary to your accusation, whatever prejudice locals may harbor against the favela residents, it's not why the locals don't lunch in Vidigal. They're simply realistic. The streets are not entirely safe. That's why Cariocas who don't live there don't go into favelas like Vidigal to lunch. That and the absence of good restaurants. Moreover, to blame employment discrimination that exists on Cariocas as if they were bigoted is naive. Minimum wage laws shape the employment market. I concur the minimum wage should be increased in Brasil, but it should be increased in the US, too. By the way, given the prevailing exchange rates, most Rio maids and unskilled laborers (many of whom live in Vidigal) now earn about as much as unskilled laborers in US fast food joints earn given the US minimum wage of around $7.50/hour.

The increase in favela tourism is not a good measure for the gentrification and safety of the favelas. Favela tourism involves going in a group led usually by a favela resident who has cleared the tour with the drug lords who, for the most part, still control the streets. Pacification has not been completed in Vidigal any more than it has been in Rocinha.

I could not get the point of your post about the Sheraton's location. Tourists won't either because your point on this subject is confusing. On the one hand, you seem to say that the Sheraton is poorly located because it is across the street from the favela. On the other, you seem to say that the streets of Vidigal have been gentrified to the point where tourists may lunch there. Guests staying at the Sheraton should not be advised that they can safely stroll into the favela looking for a lunch spot, even if the more adventuresome might manage it on their own.

Edited by pmacher61

I lived on Av Vidigal directly across the street from the Sheraton for a few months back in 1976

when Rio (and many cities worldwide) were another world altogether.

… I lived in Leblon (a few blocks from the Sheraton) continuously for the past 13 years until May of this year. Largely because of the World Cup and Olympics there has been some real estate speculation in parts of Vidigal, the lower part along Av Vidigal.

There has been a real estate bubble all over Rio (which some say is going to burst soon) and prices have gone sky-high. As in many cities where this has happened (including my US home city), new people come in with fresh eyes; neighborhoods that “natives’ avoid because of historic conditions or remembered bad incidents become revitalized, by people who often “do not know enough” to be afraid, are looking for good values in cities where prime property has become unaffordable, and they succeed in revitalizing these neighborhoods, which is happening in Vidigal and elsewhere in Rio.

One example is this newish Favela Vidigal Guesthouse on Av. Pres. João Goulart in Largo do Santinho in Vidigal. One guest there says ”Vidigal is one of the safest areas I have been to in Rio. It's a pacified favela and feels like a little village. People know you, greet you and I was never ever the tiniest bit afraid to walk around there, even at 4 o'clock in the morning ……. If you're going for the real roots of Rio, less touristy, more local - that's your best shot.”

Here is a Rio Times article on another guesthouse in Vidigal.

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-real-estate/vidigal-guesthouses-thrive-after-upp/

There is a boutique hotel in the works as well in the neighborhood afaik.

Here’s another foreign resident’s view on Vidigal:

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-real-estate/favela-living-the-view-from-vidigal/

which seems to contradict your view.that

Further up the hill the favela remains a place tourists should not stroll around in - even during the day.

….. whatever prejudice locals may harbor against the favela residents, it's not why the locals don't lunch in Vidigal. They're simply realistic. The streets are not entirely safe. That's why Cariocas who don't live there don't go into favelas like Vidigal to lunch.

Wealthy cariocas are some of the most prejudiced people I’ve ever met regarding the poor, second only to Paulistanos maybe. Ask any carioca favela resident you know---oh, but maybe you don’t know any.

And just in case you don’t, Zezinho, a resident of the Rocinha favela (who is now gaining some notoriety for showing visitors around his neighborhood) has a lot to say on that subject, including: “the prejudice by the outside world against "Favelados" is notorius. I experience every time I leave the favela by the police or anybody who doesn’t live in a favela.“

That and the absence of good restaurants.

A foreign guest at one of the guesthouses comments: “Vidigal is a safe and nice community with great Pizza and Sushi and lots of really nice people.”

Moreover, to blame employment discrimination that exists on Cariocas as if they were bigoted is naive. Minimum wage laws shape the employment market.

What shapes the employment market in Brazil for low-skilled jobs is the minimum amount the rich can get away with paying under the table and that the poor must accept to sustain themselves and their families at the most basic level.

By the way, given the prevailing exchange rates, most Rio maids and unskilled laborers (many of whom live in Vidigal) now earn about as much as unskilled laborers in US fast food joints earn given the US minimum wage of around $7.50/hour.

The monthly Brazilian salario minimo (official minimum monthly wage) is currently R$678 which is equal to U$293.77 per month, not U$1200.00 (calculated at U$7.50 per hour for a normal 40 hour work week x 4 weeks per month) IF (big if) they have an official job and not one that is under the table which pays much less. “Most Rio maids and unskilled laborers” do not have official jobs ‘on the card’, and eke out a living at whatever pittance the rich deign to offer.

The increase in favela tourism is not a good measure for the gentrification and safety of the favelas. Favela tourism involves going in a group led usually by a favela resident who has cleared the tour with the drug lords who, for the most part, still control the streets. Pacification has not been completed in Vidigal any more than it has been in Rocinha.

If only the favela tours were led by favela residents! The majority are still run by outside agencies who take the majority of the money paid by curious tourists. There are a few exceptions, Zezinho being one and Rocinha Favela Tour (www.rocinhafavelatour.com) run by resident teens, another. Tours are not paying druglords, but Rocinha residents are complaining about the rise in petty crime since the druglords, who tightly controlled things, have left the neighborhood because of the pacification.

I could not get the point of your post about the Sheraton's location.

Well let’s make it very clear then.

The Sheraton is in an isolated location, which is not really an integral part of the Leblon neighborhood which is its stated address. If a visitor stays in Ipanema or Copacabana or Leblon proper, there is the possibility to go out the door and stroll to a restaurant. From the Sheraton, you take a taxi, probably even during the day unless you enjoy a long walk back and forth, or explore Vidigal which has the closest restaurants.

On the one hand, you seem to say that the Sheraton is poorly located because it is across the street from the favela. On the other, you seem to say that the streets of Vidigal have been gentrified to the point where tourists may lunch there.

Poorly located because the only nearby choices are in the favela, whereas in Copacabana, for example, one can walk to more variety of places in that neighborhood and in Ipanema.

Guests staying at the Sheraton should not be advised that they can safely stroll into the favela looking for a lunch spot, even if the more adventuresome might manage it on their own.

On the contrary, “The more adventuresome might manage it on their own.” And yes, IMO and that of those quoted above, “they can safely stroll into the favela looking for a lunch spot.”

I suggest potential visitors do some of their own research online to get a better understanding of conditions to help make up their own minds about Rio neighborhoods in which they might be comfortable.

Jobi is a famous bar - it is not a good restaurant. Fellini is a very good choice for seafood, too. The best seafood place is Shirley's in Leme, but that's a 20 minute cab ride. You will eat very well for $$ reasonable prices (lunch = $40 for 2). For great Portuguese food including seafood at $$$$ prices you want Antiquarius in Leblon (10 minutes from Sheraton) but open for dinner only. Many rate this as the best restaurant in Rio. I do.

On the subject of restaurants, I have also read good things about Casa de Feijoda in Ipanema. What is your opinion?

The increase in favela tourism is not a good measure for the gentrification and safety of the favelas. Favela tourism Guests staying at the Sheraton should not be advised that they can safely stroll into the favela looking for a lunch spot, even if the more adventuresome might manage it on their own.

On the contrary, “The more adventuresome might manage it on their own.” And yes, IMO and that of those quoted above, “they can safely stroll into the favela looking for a lunch spot.”

I suggest potential visitors do some of their own research online to get a better understanding of conditions to help make up their own minds about Rio neighborhoods in which they might be comfortable.

Neither of the articles you linked support your argument that Vidigal is now a safe place for tourists to be casually strolling around in, especially the largely American tourists who stay at the Sheraton. On the contrary these articles seem to support the opposite notion.

Like I said we disagree. You want to make sociopolitical arguments and this forum is not really the appropriate place (and I share some of your philosophy). I think the main thing is that the average tourist should be walking the 1/3 mile to get to the numerous restaurants in Leblon and not venturing alone into Vidigal looking for a place to lunch.

Edited by pmacher61

On the subject of restaurants, I have also read good things about Casa de Feijoda in Ipanema. What is your opinion?

It gets good reviews, including from the widely read Veja magazine (almost like Time or Newsweek).

Fejoada is part of the history of slavery in Brazil, traditionally made with the left over parts of the pig, and can therefore be an acquired taste, although I suspect for U$30 per person (that's about 1/10 of the minimum monthly wage we've been discussing on the other thread) the more upscale restaurants like this one include less of the gelatinous pig's ears and more of the meaty carne-seca and costeleta do porco.

Happy eating.

You want to make sociopolitical arguments and this forum is not really the appropriate place

On the contrary. I strongly contest that this is exactly the appropriate place.

Rio in particular is a city that has had a lot of bad press in the past which has left many travelers leery of visiting. Being informed about current socio-economic/socio-political conditions helps a traveler make better decisions about his/her visit.

With the changes that the city and its neighborhoods have seen in the past few years, fresh eyes have new perspectives on the old fears and prejudices.

The possibility of enriching a visit to Rio by opening up one’s horizons in the city’s neighborhoods is of interest to many visitors, who are curious not only about the ‘glamorous’, most wealthy neighborhoods where most tourists stay. But they need to be encouraged to sift the chaff of old negative reports from the wheat of new possibilities for interacting with local residents in their neighborhoods that were until recently more off-the-beaten-path.

Neither of the articles you linked support your argument that Vidigal is now a safe place for tourists to be casually strolling around in, especially the largely American tourists who stay at the Sheraton. On the contrary these articles seem to support the opposite notion.

Did we read the same articles?

I saw quotes such as:

Vidigal Guesthouses Thrive”

“Now open for two years, Casa Alto is enjoying increased popularity. The guesthouse is booked solid for Carnival and have seen a steady increase in visitors – particularly Brazilian guests who had avoided the area prior its pacification.”

trends in other pacified favelas provide reason for optimism”

“…a Californian currently living in Vidigal…... I decided to find a place in Vidigal, which has a small-town feel… a real sense of community.”

“As well as spectacular sea views and easy access to the Zona Sul beaches, Vidigal has been a thriving cultural center since the 1980s.”

“… if you are …. adaptable and in search of an exciting locale, then Vidigal might well be the place for you.”

Perhaps it’s just a matter of looking for the positive and for enriching and interesting local experiences, instead of dwelling on the most negative and off-putting factors lingering from the past.

I think the main thing is that the average tourist should be walking the 1/3 mile to get to the numerous restaurants in Leblon and not venturing alone into Vidigal looking for a place to lunch.

In reality, “the average tourist” who stays at the Sheraton is not likely to walk along a relatively deserted (except for the small “fishing point”) narrow path between the oceanside cliff and the highway, which seems much longer than 1/3 mile while sweating in the heat and humidity, every time they want to go out for a bite or go back to change clothes. S/he is going to take a taxi, which adds up fast. Driving around, seeing the city through the windows of that taxi, insulates the visitor further from the very city s/he has come so long a distance to experience.

However, under current conditions, as shown by comments from others who have done so (do check out more comments on TA from visitors to the area guesthouses and restaurants), it is not so outlandish an idea to walk across the street to get a modest meal (perhaps even a feijoada) at a local restaurant at the base of the hill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I may be entering a little controversial thread but here goes

4 of us did Rio and carnival (a couple of years ago) Princess cruises used Sheraton for pre cruise stay. It is within walking distance of shops and bars but use the sidewalk it is not near any tourist spots. There is/was a large favela on the hillside nearby but you take precautions in any country you visit.

We had a private guide found under Tours by locals and he was able to jump the lines for tickets for Sugarloaf and took us by car to the statue of Christ the Redeemer. At the time we were all mid 50's and I do not think it would have been possible to do it any other way.

Rio is a wonderful place-enjoy your trip

The following is a copy of a post from my roll call. How common is the event described? Is it safe for a North American to go anywhere in Rio without a guide including Corcovado and Sugar Loaf, the Centro area, and Ipanema and Copacabana beaches?

"Remember it is Rio. I just talked to 2 couples in their 20s who returned recently from Brazil. I know many of us are arriving early to see Rio. One of the young men is 6'4" and married to a Brazilian girl. They told me to exercise extreme caution at all times. Seems like the four of them were staying at a nice beach hotel and it was about noon... They were just a block from the hotel, many open shops, a lot of traffic and they were mugged. The 3 young men who jumped them were after the man's camera, the woman's purses, and men's watches and wallets. They yelled for help to no avail. The tall American ended up on the ground but held on to his camera. Later his Brazilian wife yelled at the shopkeepers and others who stopped after the incident was over and asked why no one came to their aid...the upshot was that it happens all the time especially to North Americans. I immediately went to the Viator site and booked a full day tour on the 3rd...I guess this is a goo

recommendation for organized tours. Bob"

The following is a copy of a post from my roll call. How common is the event described? Is it safe for a North American to go anywhere in Rio without a guide including Corcovado and Sugar Loaf, the Centro area, and Ipanema and Copacabana beaches?

"Remember it is Rio. I just talked to 2 couples in their 20s who returned recently from Brazil. I know many of us are arriving early to see Rio. One of the young men is 6'4" and married to a Brazilian girl. They told me to exercise extreme caution at all times. Seems like the four of them were staying at a nice beach hotel and it was about noon... They were just a block from the hotel, many open shops, a lot of traffic and they were mugged. The 3 young men who jumped them were after the man's camera, the woman's purses, and men's watches and wallets. They yelled for help to no avail. The tall American ended up on the ground but held on to his camera. Later his Brazilian wife yelled at the shopkeepers and others who stopped after the incident was over and asked why no one came to their aid...the upshot was that it happens all the time especially to North Americans. I immediately went to the Viator site and booked a full day tour on the 3rd...I guess this is a goo

recommendation for organized tours. Bob"

Well, anyone stupid enough to make himself into a victim by walking around with a camera out in the open, wearing fancy watches, carrying purses, and all their money in a wallet is at best tempting fate. And to not just give whatever it is up is tempting death. I would guess they were overconfident because they were with Brazilian women (who should have known better, but maybe have been living abroad too long). That kind of incident has decreased markedly in Rio over the last few years, though, so check when this one actually took place.

The wide gap between the rich and the poor is more readily visible in Rio because of how the neighborhoods are organized next to each other. Besides being IMO rude/arrogant to show off what you have to folks for whom the value of your camera represents what they earn to feed their whole family for a month, it is an easy thing to simply put it away in a plastic grocery bag after taking a photo. The ticketed heights are full of other tourists and safe. Why do you need a watch in Brazil anyway? You're on vacation. A small back pack worn in front or a small waist pack you can keep your hand on are more practical than a huge purse or an easily slipped out of a pocket wallet. In fact, most tourist crime in Rio is pick pocketing or grab and run, not armed robbery.

Of course you can be unlucky enough to be in the right place at the wrong time, even with a guide, but if you are reasonably prudent, Rio is fine to get around on your own. Take taxis at night and for longer rides to the sights. Don't walk in deserted places (anywhere). Always remain aware and vigilant. Leave anything you can't afford, financially or emotionally, to lose at home. If put on the spot, give up your stuff without resistance. But I have to say that I have been traveling all over Brazil (solo, female), often to neighborhoods you wouldn't even consider, for almost 2 decades and am none the worse for it.

Have a great trip.

Well - we will start a TA from Rio. So will fly into Rio and arrive early in the morning. I have booked a hotel on Copacabana where I have read that they give rooms before the official time which seems to me important to get to a room safe early to leave watches etc in the safe. I have a small canon Iixus camera, some years old and hopefully will keep this. The value to me is the pictures taken with it. I hope this is nothing they will look for. And I will prepare a belt under my clothes with credit card and money and will have only some cash in my purse. Puuuhh - hope my preparation will be good.

Well - we will start a TA from Rio. So will fly into Rio and arrive early in the morning. I have booked a hotel on Copacabana where I have read that they give rooms before the official time which seems to me important to get to a room safe early to leave watches etc in the safe. I have a small canon Iixus camera, some years old and hopefully will keep this. The value to me is the pictures taken with it. I hope this is nothing they will look for. And I will prepare a belt under my clothes with credit card and money and will have only some cash in my purse. Puuuhh - hope my preparation will be good.

You still do not seem to have a reasonable grasp of the situation.

Do not trust room safes. Trust your friendly treatment of the hotel staff, and tip them well daily for their poorly paid hard service that makes your trip comfortable.

Leave the valuable watches at home and buy one for $10 to use during the trip.

The camera should be kept out of sight when you are not actually taking pictures. Out of sight does not mean a fancy camera case. Take an extra memory card and download any photos of value to a CD or email them to yourself on a regular basis. When not on the touristed heights, be aware of your surroundings while you are distracted by your picture taking.

Do not carry a purse. You cannot control it sufficiently and the handle is vulnerable. At most, if you insist on carrying a lot of junk, get a small backpack to wear in front. Better yet would be a small belted waist pack that you can keep a hand on, which might also fit the camera.

Carry only enough cash for the day, and divide cash and cards in different places on you. Some people carry a throw away wallet with enough cash to give if stopped.

It is not likely that anything will happen, but IMO it is best to be logically prepared. Pick pocketing and snatch and run are more common than armed assault, so do remain vigilant. But you should have an uneventful trip in that aspect.

• 2 weeks later...