Restaurants in London for a nice dinner with good atmosphere and service?

We will be in London for 3 days before our cruise. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice dinner restaurant that won't break the bank? I noticed there are several very nice ones. I am looking for any personal recommendations.

We like French or British or modern European.

We will be staying in the Mayfair area, but plan on using a taxi when necessary.

Thanks!

Ginny

If you are up for Pub Grub, the Clarence Pub down the road from Trafalgar Square at 53 Whitehall, has the best sausage and mash I've ever had. Okay, it was the first sausage and mash I ever had, but those were damn good sausages. They have reasonable prices and are recommended by Rick Steve's in his 2005 London book.

If you are anywhere near Russell Square, there is a good kind of Italian style restaraunt called Cagney's off Southampton Way. We ate off their front patio which is essentially in an alley shared by a couple of pubs.

One trick to learn from our mistake is at Picadilly Circus there is a "famous" fish & chips place (can't remember the name). Anyhow we went in the first door and sat down in a nice restaraunt. About 1/2 through dinner I realized there was another door that went into a fastfood version of the same restaraunt. We could have eaten there for 1/2 the price. But don't get me wrong, the price was okay anyway. I've since heard some other places have different levels of formality available for different prices.

I go to London several times a year and my favorite places to eat in Your area...

Lanagans Brassarie on Stratton street.

Shepards TAvern in Shepards Market

The greenhouse

Tamarin (Indian food)

Nobu (Japanese food)

The Ritz for tea

Wheelers for fish off Jerym Street

Fortnam and Mason for light pre theater dinner

My all time favorite resturants for a real English food are "Rules" and "Simpsons on the STrand."

For really special dinners the SAvoy grill or The Ritz.

harrodsfan,

Thanks so much for all the recs!! I printed them off. I have read about several of them and am glad to hear that a real person recommends them.

I think I am going to check out Simpson's. It seems like Rules has a lot of game.

Thanks again,

Ginny

I want to jump in on this thread to ask advice for a single female diner- I will bein London 8/18 for two nights prior to my cruise. Any suggestions where I won't feel awkward? I am staying in the South Kensington area at a B&B.

Thanks!

Deb

A great place in London for casual dining is -

Maggie Jones

6 Old Court Place

It is small (off the beaten path) with loads of atmosphere and great food!

We have been there twice and plan to return on our next trip to London in

August 2006.

Debbiecape,

I travel alone to London all the time and have never felt awkward dining by myself. In your area, 'Bibendum' is a wonderful place to dine, with an oyster bar downstairs and upstairs, a full restaurant.

One of my favorite spots for brunch is Fortnum and Mason's, over-looking the food halls (much smaller, less touristy, and more intimate than Harrods). Then you can pop across the street to the Royal Academy for a look if you want.

Also, I think a 'must-see' this summer is the Dutch Masters' exhibit at the Queen's Gallery at Buckingham Palace. It's a small place and a great stop if you don't have a lot of time.

Jane in PHL

Try Zuma at Knightsbridge (Fusion - Very Hip)

Sal E Pepe (Italian) Pavillion Road Knightsbridge (Locals Eat here!)

Scallini (Italian) Chelsea - Lots of Celebs mix with Business Folk

Rules (English) - Covent Garden

For fast Eats:

Wagamama - All over the place!

Yo Sushi - All over the Place!

go pack..thanks for the thanks. You will love Simpson's. Yummy roast beef but lots of other great food too.

Totally agree that Harrods has great food alone or in a group.(Note my name.):)

I travel as a single woman to england and never feel strange eating alone. I usually bring something to "do" while waiting..writing postcards or in my journal.

Love WAgamma too.

We will be in London for 3 days before our cruise. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice dinner restaurant that won't break the bank? I noticed there are several very nice ones. I am looking for any personal recommendations.

We like French or British or modern European.

We will be staying in the Mayfair area, but plan on using a taxi when necessary.

Thanks!

Ginny

Hi Gopackgo, The most popular Restaurant at the moment is the Wolesley which is next to the Ritz Hotel in Piccadilly. I eat there about three times a week.It is open for Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner and it can be hard to get a table for dinner so book ahead.

Where are you staying when in London ?

Regards

John

Chimes Restaurant Cider/Wine Bar is a wonderful place for English food at its best, such as steak and mushroom pie, stilton and cheddar loaf, crumbles, syllabubs and treacle tarts. But best of all are the ciders, both draft and bottled. Warning, British cider is an alcoholic beverage, but different styles in cider making make tasting two or three a wonderful experience!

If you've ever wondered about the Dowager Dame Ursula's Homemade Gooseberry Wine, well, they don't have that particular vintage but they do have plain old gooseberry wine, as well as elderberry wine and ginger beer.

Chimes in in Pimlico, on Churton Street in SW1V. I think it was around a twenty minute walk, heading northeast from Victoria Station on Vauxhall Bridge Road. Can't wait to go back!

One tip I have is book through a website, where you'll find special offers and deals unavailable direct with the restaurant. You'll also find some AMAZING deals and ideas for meals. Here's a couple -

www.lastminute.com

www.toptable.co.uk

Enjoy yourself. There's some great restaurants out there! (And I would have to rate Selfridges above Harrods!!)

Hi Gopackgo, The most popular Restaurant at the moment is the Wolesley which is next to the Ritz Hotel in Piccadilly. I eat there about three times a week.It is open for Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner and it can be hard to get a table for dinner so book ahead.

Where are you staying when in London ?

Regards

John

Good Morning John

Long time no speak, how are you?

Amanda

Good Morning John

Long time no speak, how are you?

Amanda

Hi Amanda, good to hear from you again ,I had wondered if you had been "put off "by a certain person.I am posting on some other topics and am finding it interesting to put my Knowledge in the ring.I will look forward to the red sari on one of our formal nights(What about the red dot on your forehead?).Not long to go now,I bet you are getting excited.Have you received your travel documents yet?

I am trying to work out what JCAF Means,does the J stand for Jeff?

Regards

John

Hi Amanda, good to hear from you again ,I had wondered if you had been "put off "by a certain person.I am posting on some other topics and am finding it interesting to put my Knowledge in the ring.I will look forward to the red sari on one of our formal nights(What about the red dot on your forehead?).Not long to go now,I bet you are getting excited.Have you received your travel documents yet?

I am trying to work out what JCAF Means,does the J stand for Jeff?

Regards

John

Hi John,

I did try to email you but it doesnt work. Yes I was a little put off but im back now.

I didnt realise it was your birthday on the 7th, what a lovely way to spend it.

We opted for the early embarkation in the end, despite arriving in Venice on the 3rd. My documents arrived 10days ago, where is your suite located, im on deck 5.

Regarding the sari, I am awaiting an adjusted blouse from India but I dont think it will arrive on time. J is for Jacob by the way.

Amanda

Hi John,

I did try to email you but it doesnt work. Yes I was a little put off but im back now.

I didnt realise it was your birthday on the 7th, what a lovely way to spend it.

We opted for the early embarkation in the end, despite arriving in Venice on the 3rd. My documents arrived 10days ago, where is your suite located, im on deck 5.

Regarding the sari, I am awaiting an adjusted blouse from India but I dont think it will arrive on time. J is for Jacob by the way.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,We arrive in Venice Marco Polo at 10.30am and have a private transfer booked to take us to the Ship.We will unpack and go ashore for lunch and miss most people arriving at 3.00pm. We are in 824 on deck 8 which is a mid-ship suite.

Have you booked any tours yet?.You can book tours and spa treatments on the website

John

Hi Amanda,We arrive in Venice Marco Polo at 10.30am and have a private transfer booked to take us to the Ship.We will unpack and go ashore for lunch and miss most people arriving at 3.00pm. We are in 824 on deck 8 which is a mid-ship suite.

Have you booked any tours yet?.You can book tours and spa treatments on the website

John

We are in 516. I have booked one for Zadar and we are still looking at the others, nothing is really jumping out at me yet.

Amanda

We are in 516. I have booked one for Zadar and we are still looking at the others, nothing is really jumping out at me yet.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,we have not booked anything and probably won't.We find that it is much better to walk around and arrange a car and driver,but my wife likes the shops and we lunch and return to the ship.sometimes we do not even get off, especially if we have been to the port many times before.An empty ship is great when you just want to chill and sun worship

John

Hi Amanda,we have not booked anything and probably won't.We find that it is much better to walk around and arrange a car and driver,but my wife likes the shops and we lunch and return to the ship.sometimes we do not even get off, especially if we have been to the port many times before.An empty ship is great when you just want to chill and sun worship

John

Thats exactly what we want. Peace and quiet with a good book on a nice ship with great service, good food and wine - couldnt ask for anything else. Can you recommend any good restaurants in Venice?

We look forward to meeting you both.

Amanda

Thats exactly what we want. Peace and quiet with a good book on a nice ship with great service, good food and wine - couldnt ask for anything else. Can you recommend any good restaurants in Venice?

We look forward to meeting you both.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,Harrys Bar is probably the best,but you should check out the Cipriani Hotel,they have a good restuarant outside overlooking the water and they also have one called cips which I have not tried yet.Have a look at a web site called europe for visitors it has some great things about Venice

John

Archived