Tipping -- cash or stateroom charge?

pokerpro5

On previous cruises I've taken, I have opted out of auto-tipping and simply handed cash to those who had served me in some way.

For example, I always used specialty restaurants (or elsewhere on the ship) on my Princess cruises, so I did not want my assigned waiter or maitre d' for the main dining room tipped, as neither had served me at any point.

Also, I liked my steward, and I wanted him to get 100% of my tip, and not have it pooled or shared. (I gave him something generous).

Is it the same on Norwegian? Are tips pooled/shared?

Am I forced to auto-tip in any category, or can I opt out and just tip myself?

And if I tip in cash, are those also supposed to go in the pool, or is it generally assumed the worker will keep it himself (I prefer the latter).

I apologize if this has been discussed and debated a lot in the past. I am new here and didn't see this information.

FYI I am not interested in a debate about tipping. I am just interested in knowing the factual answers to my questions, and I will personally decide from there what I think it right/appropriate.

Also, I don't have a problem auto-tipping "general workers" who work on the ship, but with whom I don't directly interface.

However, I am not going to tip people in categories that don't apply to me. If I am not going to the main dining room, I'm also not tipping anyone there.

If I am not going to the main dining room, I'm also not tipping anyone there.

As an aside, typically this is where your line of thinking (and many others') breaks down. Do you really believe specialty restaurants exists in some separate bubble from the MDRs? Hint: look at a deck plan.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not going to bother.

It's possible that the OP is sailing comp on CAS program. Not that it really matters, but I do think he should have enough experience in the service industry to know just how important tips are. OP is not a novice cruiser.

Edited by kcwingwalker

I have a friend of a friend that works on a Carnival Ship. He said he prefers to be tipped on the Sail and Sign card instead of cash. I found this hard to believe. But his reasoning made sense. He sends the money home. If he was tipped in cash he was tempted to spend it in the ships stores, in port or on other things. If he didn't have the cash he didn't spend it. It helped him save it and send it all back to his wife and kids.

O.P, there are about ten zillion threads on this that you can find with the forum search feature. You may want to try that. Despite you saying you just want factual info it ALWAYS evolves into something else.

Additionally, the DSC charge and tipping policy is in the FAQ section of the NCL web site.

Just a thought, not trying to tell you what to do.

Cheers.

As an aside, typically this is where your line of thinking (and many others') breaks down. Do you really believe specialty restaurants exists in some separate bubble from the MDRs? Hint: look at a deck plan.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not going to bother.

I haven't been on a NCL cruise yet, so that's why I asked.

On Princess, it was the same people serving me every night at the specialties.

If they rotate on NCL, then it's a different story. Then I'd be okay with a pooled auto-tip.

And yes, I am going to opt out and tip my own steward if possible. Otherwise tips are no longer tips, and are instead just a service charge. If you are tipping general workers that rotate, then a service charge type tip makes sense. If it's the same person making up your room every day, and he does a great job, you want your tip going directly to him, not shared by others who may not have done a good job. Similarly, if he did a lousy job, I might want to tip him less, using similar logic.

Anyway, I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I was just asking a few questions, and will decide for myself.

Here's how it works on NCL

A $12 per day Daily Service Charge is applied to your ship account. This is distributed to your room steward, restaurant servers, and behind the scenes staff that make your trip enjoyable. Supposedly, if you remove the DSC, the tips you provide directly are still required to be pooled. So if you directly tip your steward, he's supposed to turn the money in if youv'e adjusted your DSC down or removed it.

The DSC does not go to bartenders or kid's club staff, or the butler and concierge's that serve the suites. If you use them, tip separately.

The same staff that work in the main dining rooms also work in the buffet, the specialty restaurants and even room service. They move around. Your DSC charge pays for them, and no additional tip for them or your steward is necessary. However, if any of them go above and beyond (e.g. special requests, etc.) they will gladly accept cash tips.

The best way to handle tipping on NCL is to leave the DSC in place and tip extra if you would like to those that have provided exceptional service. Some people tip an additional $5 or $10 in the specialty restaurants, but like I said, those servers also participate in the DSC pool. NCL insists that they get a chance to "fix the problem" for anyone who seeks to remove the DSC, assuming the reason somebody wants to do this is because they've had an issue with the service. I agree. If your steward isn't doing what he's supposed to, go fix the problem by talking to the hotel director. Reducing the DSC impacts more people than you want to impact.

The reason this is a "can of worms" is that every week or so someone comes on the board with these great plans of removing the service charge and trying to somehow tip directly. This always leads to a large debate over the mechanisms, who's screwing who in the deal, right versus wrong, etc.

Edited by sdmike

Also I read here... If you remove the auto tips or service charge and then give cash they are required to put the tip back into the tip pool anyways. If you do not remove the auto tip and then give them extra... They can keep it. Just what I have read on here.

The biggest key to understanding this is to know that there is no tipping on NCL. NCL has a Daily Service Charge (DSC) which is different than a tip. (Basically, tips belong to the employee tipped, service charges are the property of the company).

You can get clarifying infomation in the FAQ section of NCL's website.

Just my two cents, not judging anyone for doing it differently.... I paid my DSC upfront. I feel like it's for all the people, including the behind the scenes people that provide a service that I may not interact with. For my room steward, bar tender, kids club staff and specialty rest. servers I will leave a little something extra in the form of cash just because they will probably deserve it.

Also I read here... If you remove the auto tips or service charge and then give cash they are required to put the tip back into the tip pool anyways. If you do not remove the auto tip and then give them extra... They can keep it. Just what I have read on here.

Just want to second this sentiment. Leave the DSC in place, and give tips to those you want to tip. If you remove your DSC the stewards and others are supposed to turn in any cash tips to the pool. (Don't ask me how they know who removed the DSC and who didn't, particularly if you remove the DSC on the last evening...)

Just want to second this sentiment. Leave the DSC in place, and give tips to those you want to tip. If you remove your DSC the stewards and others are supposed to turn in any cash tips to the pool. (Don't ask me how they know who removed the DSC and who didn't, particularly if you remove the DSC on the last evening...)

There have been pictures posted on CC showing lists of passengers that have removed the DSC, supposedly posted in a crew area. I think it's so they put boogers in your shampoo bottle (ok..just kidding about that last part)

Fair points.

Didn't realize you couldn't itemize the withheld auto tips.

Based upon this, I will leave it in place.

/thread

FOLKS, WE HAVE A WINNER HERE!!!:eek::D

Thank you so much for doing the right thing!:p

Have a wonderful trip!!!:D