Decorating the Cabin Door

Atlantian

I vaguely remember reading about decorating your cabin door (and since I booked our cruise 29 days out - I have had my head buried in these boards daily to learn as much as I can so I am a little fuzzy now with where I read little blips here and there! :eek:). Is this something that is fairly popular to do on cruises? If so, what do passengers typically do?

Edited by Atlantian

I vaguely remember reading about decorating your cabin door (and since I booked our cruise 29 days out - I have had my head buried in these boards daily to learn as much as I can so I am a little fuzzy now with where I read little blips here and there! :eek:). Is this something that is fairly popular to do on cruises? If so, what do passengers typically do?

On my past cruises most people do not decorate their cabins doors. But I have noticed that groups usually do, I suppose it's easier that way to find each other if you forget cabin numbers.

It's really up to you and if you wish to have fun!

I have done it on some cruises, I say if it makes you happy then do it. I have gotten some really nice (cheap) items from Oriental Trading. They have a lot of tropical themed things. I am not completely sure on Carnival but some like to use magnets and on some ships the doors aren't metal so you might want to check that if you want to use magnets.

we are sailing December 8th on the Pride. The kids have decided they want to decorate our doors for Christmas! It gives them something fun to do AND it will keep them from getting confused and knocking or going to the wrong door! It sounds fun to me...

Last year we took DD and her BFF on a high school graduation cruise. I went to Party City and bought a bunch of grad stuff and surprised them by decorating their door and cabin. I used a plastic table cloth that completely covered the door. Then various hanging streamers in their room. One night we were walking behind a group of girls that commented on the door decorations. One of them said, "I'm a graduate why isn't my door decorated".

We are going again in a few months and I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to do their door again.

I have seen less and less of this over my last 3 cruises. We never have, though if one is near our room it helps as a marker finding our room :)

I leave the room about 5-6AM and on Port days don't return till about 8:30 for the evening ( putting my girl (8) to bed and retiring myself after a drink and some reading). On Sea-Days I usually make it back to the room once mid-day to refill a flask and/or change clothes. So, seeing my door so rarely, I just don't take the time to do it, plus space is limited to pack anything for it. We never check any luggage for flight or porters to handle and tend to go pretty light with carry-ons.

I think other folks like it though ...go for it if ya want.

When we took the kids for Spring break, we decorated our door and were glad we did....made finding your door really easy. We did not see hardly any others with decorations. I have a cricut (machine that will cut out shapes) so I will be cutting something out of vinyl (the kind that is removable from walls) to put on our door. It was nice not to have to think about which door is yours, especially with kids.

On the two cruises I've been on, only once have I seen a door decorated. It looked like they had just bought some cute little parrot and tropical themed decorations (like you might put on a wall at a kid's party) from the dollar store which they taped to their door. :)

I told my husband we should do that next time..it would make it easier for me to remember exactly which room was ours. :D

ALWAYS decorate my door-

with big stick-on curly ribbons, bows from the dollar store.

Purchasing them for the cruise whets my (*already amped*) anticipation--

Just a cruise ritual for me.

Last cruise, on the Inspiration, the bows wouldn't stick on the door

so I put them on the mirror in my cabin- so festive!!

It was a Halloween Cruise so the deco was orange, black & green.

Pam

I take a few minutes each cruise and decorate our door.

It's fun for me while planning & scheming everything cruise related.

It REALLY helps you find your door.

I always hear nice comments about it.

Yes, never put anything up you don't want "borrowed", probably by some unsupervised kiddos...that obviously should be...LOL

Last cruise was Alaska...took a piece of poster board (that would fit in our largest suitcase) looked up all the states symbols, song, bird, coin, etc....and arranged them on it. The steward was excited to get it at debarkation (he asked), I was gonna peel the quarter off and toss it.

Some abhor the idea, some decorate, while others like or love it.

Enjoy your cruise...whatever you do :D

Edited by silvercrikhix

We always decorate our door and love doing so! I use poster board with some pictures and a greeting for our cruise mates. An added benefit is that it helps us locate our stateroom!

For tomorrow's cruise (girl's only / Paradise), I just used this door sign from an older post:

In case anyone would like......I have a blank Cruise Critic sign that can be edited in Word and downloaded here: http://facultystaff.vwc.edu/~jdaird/CCDoorSign.doc

Enjoy....

capture.jpg

Edited by GottaLuvCruising

I decorate my cabin only in Halloween:)

We always decorate the door. We'll either pick a theme or make posters for a birthday/Halloween. Next theme is flamingos. We also bring clings for the mirrors/balcony door. We decorate the inside of the cabin with cutouts and always the inflatable palm tree.

My flipflop magnet and margarita magnet were stolen off the door by the 2nd day. :(

My bows have "disappeared,"

usually on a cruise when I hear rambunctious kids running down the hall-

Don't spend much on them and can't take them home

(they'd crush in my suitcase.)

So, not a big deal....

Never been on a bad cruise, like everything else, it's what you make of it!!

Pam

I like to decorate our door because it's easier to find! I just print something off the computer, use clear packing tape on the edges & glue magnets on the back (you can get them with sticky on them). I haven't been on a ship where the doors aren't metal. Doesn't take up a lot of room.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app