Royal Caribbean Tipping

IngFam

Hi there, I know that I've seen a thread about this but couldn't find. I am about to make final payment on my cruise tonight. We've opted for the set dining and I just want to know if we can pay our tips upfront once we board or is it better to pay to the travel agent before we leave. Also we are 2 adults and 2 children in the room are we able to only pay for the 2 adults and have the 2 kids auto tipping removed. Would love to get some feedback on this, thank you.

Hi there, I know that I've seen a thread about this but couldn't find. I am about to make final payment on my cruise tonight. We've opted for the set dining and I just want to know if we can pay our tips upfront once we board or is it better to pay to the travel agent before we leave. Also we are 2 adults and 2 children in the room are we able to only pay for the 2 adults and have the 2 kids auto tipping removed. Would love to get some feedback on this, thank you.

if you do a search you will find plenty of topics about tipping but here's one

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1939041&highlight=royal+caribbean+tipping

From what I understand you can pre-pay or pay onboard. Question though, if you remove your kids tips will you then pay theirs once you're onboard?

For me I've prepaid for the whole family, that way I don't have to think about it again unless I buy drinks or someone goes above and beyond, so I decide to tip extra. Plus, we're doing My Time Dining so you have to prepay tips anyway.

For me I've prepaid for the whole family, that way I don't have to think about it again unless I buy drinks ....

On RC, drinks automatically include 15% tip - the price you see on the drinks menu will include the tip eg local beer US$5.50 includes 15% tip

Plus, we're doing My Time Dining so you have to prepay tips anyway.

That is what I thought but on my recent Rhapsody cruise the couple at the next table stated that they had removed their gratuities and this was at My Time Dining.

Elaine.

We prepay tips for our family of 4. The staff are very attentive to the children and the stewards still have to make beds, clean the room, bathroom etc for all the 4 in the family. The gratuities are calculated on every member in the stateroom.

That is what I thought but on my recent Rhapsody cruise the couple at the next table stated that they had removed their gratuities and this was at My Time Dining.

Elaine.

Perhaps they were confused, or having you on.

You do have to prepay for MTD, and you can't generally get a refund of that once onboard.

On RC, drinks automatically include 15% tip - the price you see on the drinks menu will include the tip eg local beer US$5.50 includes 15% tip

Thanks, yes I'd forgotten that. I always think of tips as extra.

They usually are with RCL, e.g. if you catch any of the cruises aside from Australia.

Just here they made pricing inclusive to be more local.

Handy! I'll still take a small stash of US dollars just in case.:)

Probably the most common time it may come in useful is if you take up room service, where cash is the only possible form if you wish to tip (which is expected).

If you still want to give an extra tip with drinks, you can add it to the drinks charge when you sign, so you don't specifically need cash for that.

Still, any extra US cash you have, you can put into your on board account at the end so it will be of use in any case. :-)

OK, no point in paying Travel agent or Cruiseline your tips (Gratuities) ahead of the cruise unless you are needing a low shipboard account final bill at the end of the cruise.

If you were doing MTD you have no choice they must be paid in advance and are non removable at any stage..

You are doing Traditional dinning which does not require compulsory Gratuities like MTD.

If you choose not to pay tips ahead of cruise you will each be charged Daily Auto Tips which will be added daily to your ships spending account.

Your daily Auto Tips can be removed at any time during the cruise, first day in the middle or last night.

You can remove all or part of your daily charged Auto Tips for any day or everyday even if you decide to remove them at the end of the cruise.

You can remove your Childrens daily Auto Tips any time you wish onboard but you cannot remove "pre paid" onboard Gatuities and get the refund onboard!

Pre paid tips are paid direct to RCI head office and you will need to re claim them back from head office once your cruise is over. (good luck on that:D)

In some case I have read that some who have had a less favourable cruise experience have been able to get their "Pre Paid" tips refunded onboard but it is not common place as the ship acounts department have to get the OK from Head office .

Your best bet and i know I am possibly too late? is to decide onboard.

If you can afford the tips for your children you can just leave them in place.

If you decide you want to remove Daily Auto Tips for either yourself Children or others "then you can and it is your choice":)

Why would you remove the children's tips?

Some people think that children are too young to pay adult style tips and in some respects for most Australian conditions they are correct.

I Am pretty sure children in Australia are not expected to tip like adults do in other service industries even though tips are not supposed to be expected by Australian staff?

Even in USA,s huge tipping culture a Hotel Doorman would not expect a tip from a child for opening a door or holding an umbrella to a cab, but would for an adult!

In USA a Restroom attendant in a Hotel would not expect a tip from a child using a bathroom!

Cruise staff tips are part of their wage structure so tips are expected on head count not real life people.

I have no Children but I doubt any service worker who relies on tips would expect all children to be included in the tipping culture as adults are, even the actual cruise staff themselves. But with a cruise Company we are all just a number no matter what age and that number funds their workers wages to the companies benefit not the cruisers.

Some people think that children are too young to pay adult style tips and in some respects for most Australian conditions they are correct.

I Am pretty sure children in Australia are not expected to tip like adults do in other service industries even though tips are not supposed to be expected by Australian staff?

Even in USA,s huge tipping culture a Hotel Doorman would not expect a tip from a child for opening a door or holding an umbrella to a cab, but would for an adult!

In USA a Restroom attendant in a Hotel would not expect a tip from a child using a bathroom!

Cruise staff tips are part of their wage structure so tips are expected on head count not real life people.

I have no Children but I doubt any service worker who relies on tips would expect all children to be included in the tipping culture as adults are, even the actual cruise staff themselves. But with a cruise Company we are all just a number no matter what age and that number funds their workers wages to the companies benefit not the cruisers.

Agreed, and good points.

Going back some years, 'expected' tips actually used to be half for children with RCL, though they 'simplified' that to make one for all about 6 years back.

I think about half is reasonable myself and it's understandable if they're in a twin share so that staff don't lose out, but when you have 4 in a cabin, the extra is just a bonus. Then some say children are messier, but that's just a subjective thing as you can also have a bigger mess from a couple of partying types in a cabin than a family as well.

Try here for an easier way to work out how much to budget for when calculating gratuties on board. Be aware if you are travelling in a suite extra is expected for the concierge service provided.

In case you happen to check, I need to update the calculator, as the recommended tips have changed slightly.

Expect to get it updated this weekend.

Theron

Perhaps they were confused, or having you on.

You do have to prepay for MTD, and you can't generally get a refund of that once onboard.

No, I was surprised when they were talking about getting their gratuities back. They were doing a lot of complaining such as calling security every night for noise complaints. They ended up receiving 20% off a future cruise and a free meal at one of the fancy restaurants. They were encouraging us to do the same as we were in the cabin next to them and although I did hear some noise it wasn't enough to bother me.

The couple did say that they prefer to tip who they wanted to tip but I noticed they didn't go to dinner that night because I could hear them in their room while we were packing or should say whilst my husband was packing because I was busy watching Forbidden Planet on the TV :)

Elaine.

The couple did say that they prefer to tip who they wanted to tip but I noticed they didn't go to dinner that night .....

Sounds like people I would really like to cruise with - NOT. Pre-pay to take advantage of MTD, then complain a lot and have the T&G's refunded & get some perks & then don't go to dinner last night and stiff the staff - wonderful human beings. It takes all kinds as they say. And they also encouraged you to do the same - I think I may have been tempted to remove their luggage tags last night or similar :rolleyes:

Happy cruising

No, I was surprised when they were talking about getting their gratuities back. They were doing a lot of complaining such as calling security every night for noise complaints. They ended up receiving 20% off a future cruise and a free meal at one of the fancy restaurants. They were encouraging us to do the same as we were in the cabin next to them and although I did hear some noise it wasn't enough to bother me.

Yes, that's what I meant by "generally." :-)

If you've actually had a serious problem, or just spend most of your cruise being dissatisfied, the line may make an exception for you, because they do try to give good customer service.

The couple did say that they prefer to tip who they wanted to tip but I noticed they didn't go to dinner that night because I could hear them in their room while we were packing or should say whilst my husband was packing because I was busy watching Forbidden Planet on the TV :)

Elaine.

No, people saying one thing and then doing the opposite... Well, I never! :)

Sounds like people I would really like to cruise with - NOT. Pre-pay to take advantage of MTD, then complain a lot and have the T&G's refunded & get some perks & then don't go to dinner last night and stiff the staff - wonderful human beings. It takes all kinds as they say. And they also encouraged you to do the same - I think I may have been tempted to remove their luggage tags last night or similar :rolleyes:

Happy cruising

Yes, got to wonder who is more privileged, those going on the cruise or the staff working for them. But they expect the workers to work for free... so that they can have more money.

Just greed...

RCI,s biggest market is North America and with so many USA T/A,s giving "Free Pre Paid Gratuities" as a bonus for booking with them I would assume it is a valid reason "Pre Paids" are very difficult to remove whilst onboard because the cruiser ( In a free Grats instance) has not actually parted with any cash but wants cash given back onboard.

Its worse with Carnival USA! People buy Cruise Dollar Credits $ for $ like buying your own OBC , sort of like a holiday slush fund only to find out its non refundable if not spent onboard!:eek:

I personally prefer to pay Grats whilst onboard, daily or cash but do understand those that like to get as many expenses out of the way before the actual cruise holiday daily expenses start to mount up.

I am sure companies are closely looking at the Australian cruise model of tips included in the price! After all it will just put the whole gratuity debacle back to who wants to tip a bit extra for good service just tips a bit extra cash or signed for:)