Formal night alive and well

marielco

That's nice, but how do or your DH feel to be seated next to folks who are dressed casually?.. You took the time and trouble to pack responsibly. Please don't say that you don't care because it may be true for you, but not for your husband! I know!

How does one pack irresponsibly? Just wondering.

And I remember a time when I sailed P&O with my parents and every night was formal for dinner and it was all silver service but hey that was a long long time ago.

Now I love cruising and any excuse to get dressed up is fine by me, bring on the formal nights.

That's nice, but how do or your DH feel to be seated next to folks who are dressed casually?.. You took the time and trouble to pack responsibly. Please don't say that you don't care because it may be true for you, but not for your husband! I know!

That's the great thing about choice and free will. A cruise ship is not a totalitarian state nor is it a dictatorship (though some apparently would like it to be). It is a quasi-democracy with a benevolent Head of State (the Captain).

No individual passenger has the right to sneer at another because they don't fit their idea of what is "proper". If the State (the cruise Line) allows it, that is the end of the discussion.

Why must some make such a major case out of such a minor thing as dress preference? Really, what is the point? :confused:

1) True, Caribbean cruises are less formal.

2) Also, American cruisers are less formal when cruising.

Combining #1 and #2 leads to very informal settings.

What about Americans cruising in Europe:)

On our Liberty cruise this summer in the Med. the highest percentage of passengers were American and the turn out for formal night was extremely high.

A real good effort from you guys bringing Tux's and evening gowns 5000 miles so it's strange to read you don't do the same in the Caribbean.

I think the ones reporting it is dead or dying are those who just wish that to be so. All of my cruises have been in the Caribbean, with primarily US passengers aboard, and there has been no sign of the formal nights being dead or on life-support.

<resounding applause>

ICAM! I have noticed that more people adhere to formal night dress policies on European cruises.

Just sayin'

Edited by jt1120

Hi,

It was 2001 when I did a cruise from Florida and everyone was dressed up on the formal night....but I realise this was 12 years ago and not really relevant.

On my cruise on the Liberty round the Med in April most people were dressed up for the formal night. I don't get much chance to dress up so absolutely loved it!!!

I would not bother me at all if other people are not dressed up as much, this is evident in the fact that we dressed up every night....we were not in cocktail dresses or gown as such, but we were in dresses/skirts, more than the "casual" expectation but that's because we wanted to make the most of our holiday :D