Having Fun with Those That Cut it Too Close

centerpoint

Just wanted to check this out here: How many have stood out on the deck at Coz to watch people who are cutting it too close at departure time? The reason I ask is that it can be quite a show.

We will make our fourth trip into the area aboard the Carnival Sunshine - and have watched this on the Valor, the Holiday, and the Elation. It's sort of become a tradition.

YEP! Cozumel is the best port for "Pier Runners". Because of the location of bars/restaurants right near the ships (as well as those in town) many people think they will have time to have ......just one more drink, or shop......just one more shop. When the horn blows, you may already be SOL. :)

We love watching pier runners and have enjoyed watching some of them get left behind. One cruise in St. Thomas, we were actually at anchor and tendered in. We began to sail at the end of the day when a "harbor patrol" type boat came flying out after us. The ship stopped and the passengers actually climbed a rope ladder type thing back onboard. We watched it all from our balcony. THAT doesn't happen very often. Must have had a really nice ship captain!!

YEP! Cozumel is the best port for "Pier Runners". Because of the location of bars/restaurants right near the ships (as well as those in town) many people think they will have time to have ......just one more drink, or shop......just one more shop. When the horn blows, you may already be SOL. :)

We love watching pier runners and have enjoyed watching some of them get left behind. One cruise in St. Thomas, we were actually at anchor and tendered in. We began to sail at the end of the day when a "harbor patrol" type boat came flying out after us. The ship stopped and the passengers actually climbed a rope ladder type thing back onboard. We watched it all from our balcony. THAT doesn't happen very often. Must have had a really nice ship captain!!

We love watching the pier runners too! Grand Turk is also a great port for this. They come running out of Margaritaville when the horn blows. We were on deck at sail away and there were some crew members watching too. They said it was their favorite port to watch the drunken dash.

We've seen people jump on the ship as it moves away from the pier while crew members grab their arms and pull them onboard, taxis race up the pier with horns honking and lights flashing. It is crazy!

Not only do we watch, we recruit others to join us. We have watched from the Holiday, the Inspiration, Fantasy, Triumph and Conquest. We look for the Drunks and those who are very sunburned. Free Tequila on the beach all day long is a recipe for either disaster or entertainment.

One of my favorite spectator sports. "The Running of the Drunks" is always good for a laugh. If you don't want to get laughed at, don't get drunk and have to run to make the ship in time.

Edited by Rudyard

Over the years as I have watched them running back to the ship, I have always wondered what their Plan B was to either catch up to the ship at the next port or even get back home.

The most notable ones were 4 young ladies jumping out of a cab in their swimming suits carrying a towel. The cab had to stop some distance from the ship so they were trying to run in their flip flop beach shoes. They saw that the security fences were gone and only one crew member was still standing on the dock by the gang way. For them missing the ship really would have been an adventure.

Bob

This definitely seems to be the best port to watch the last minute (or sometimes last hour) runners. I remember once we actually stayed in port 2 hours later than we were supposed to. It got dark and the city lit up and it was very pretty. There were quite a few pier runners that day. Those poor guys on the trikes got a work out that day! :D

Over the years as I have watched them running back to the ship, I have always wondered what their Plan B was to either catch up to the ship at the next port or even get back home.

Evidence seems to show that they don't have a Plan A, do you honestly think they're thought far enough ahead for a plan B? :)

Guys, this is really simple-minded, but the funniest jeers are the simple but reliable "boooo!!!" Also, "run, Forrest, run!!!" is a hilarious one!

I'm thinking I may film it this time - never thought of doing that!

There's a number of clips on Youtube. Just do a serch for Pier runners. Some are hilarious, some are just sad!! :)