which one and why

golfer1903

Only been an a cruise once and that was sensation out of port canaveral. Port was very nice ,fast and easy. Looking at next cruise from fort launderdale or miami 9 seems to be cheaper and more chioces) in the summer months. Which do you prefer and why. Not for the ship reasons just for the port and airports.

I heard miami is terrible was wondering if true?

also how far is the port from the airport at these locations and for flight reasons how far apart are they.

Thanks

Absolutely Ft. Lauderdale. Port is much easier to board in, and the airport is FAR easier to navigate. Also, the airport is right next to the port! You can see your ship from the aircraft, (if you happen to be on the correct side of the plane) as you approach the airport for landing. :cool:

"SKY"

I vote for FLL as well.

I've never sailed from there (yet), but the airport is so much easier. And, as already mentioned, it's real close to the port.

We fly into FLL for cruises out of Miami. It's about 30-40 mins, depending on traffic. We use www.ridesas.com to get back and forth.

I really like sailing out of Miami. Sailing past the hwy as people in convertibles wave/cheer to you. Some of the cars are pretty exotic. Sailing past South Beach. I'd like every cruise sail away to be like Miami's

I haven't sailed from Carnival's Port Everglades Terminal, but I'll tell you Terminal 29 is less a terminal and more a warehouse. Thankfully I don't think that one is used as much, by any company.

The ONLY thing I don't like about Port of Miami is flying into MIA. I don't mind the airport, but the flights are ridiculously expensive. You can fly into FLL and taxi while still spending much less than flying into MIA. Depending on traffic, Port of Miami is about 30-45 mins from FLL.

Edited by seannyice81

Hey i seen you been to alot of places which did you prefer and the past cruise to

1. grand caymen, ochio rios

2. nassau, half moon cay, grand turks

those are my choices fro fll on freedom in the summer months

not into scuba or snorkling, nice beach, shop, jeep tours, site seeing kinda stuff

Hey i seen you been to alot of places which did you prefer and the past cruise to

1. grand caymen, ochio rios

2. nassau, half moon cay, grand turks

those are my choices fro fll on freedom in the summer months

not into scuba or snorkling, nice beach, shop, jeep tours, site seeing kinda stuff

In Grand Cayman, we do the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/tours.htm. Or there is shopping right in the port area and you can take a short cab ride to 7 Mile Beach.

In Ocho Rios, we've been to Dunns River Falls and river tubing with http://www.jamaicaphil.com/tour-description.aspx.

Nassau...we stay on the ship. Once was enough for us, but I know some people like this port.

There is not a lot of sight seeing at HMC or Grand Turk.

HMC is a private island. It's a beautiful beach day.

At Grand Turk, the beach is right at the pier with a pool and Margaritaville. You can take a stroll down the beach to Jack's Shack http://www.jacksshack.tc/.

If I were choosing between the two, I'd choose Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios.

Edited by KenMo

Ditto Cayman and Jamaica and those exact excursions. Great trip, we are actually looking at that again late next year with our new 21 year old. I'm a little biased because we went to Jamaica (Sandals Montego Bay)) for our honeymoon, but I still have a picture of us at the falls in our bedroom :-) Very romantic if you want it to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Whether you sail from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, you can fly into either airport. While the Ft. Lauderdale airport is indeed the most convenient when sailing from Ft. Lauderdale, the drive down to Miami isn't too tedious (30 minutes with no traffic).

I do agree that while Ft. Lauderdale is more convenient, Miami is a cooler departure (specially if your ship has to make the 180 turn in the basin in front of downtown Miami). Lots of thing to see. Bayside, Downtown, Star Island (and the houses of the rich and famous), South Beach, and Fisher Island

As someone said, pick ship and itinerary first, then select your flights.

I hate Miami in General, not fond of the port either. But leaving it was interesting and we did the 180 turn. That was pretty cool. Also did a cruise from Ft Lauderdale and it was easier to get to.

I would sail from Miami if the ship or route was interesting enough for us. But it's not my favorite port.

Edited by Kudos2Fly

I am not a fan of flying and take valium along just in case, but I admit flying into Miami at night with the expansive runway lights and massive cityscape lights was one of the coolest experiences of my life. We also used Miami less than 12 hours prior to hurricane Andrew hitting, and the ship had a lot of no shows/cancellations which gave us more space, food, attention, etc. It was one of our best cruises after we realized we were not in danger. The ship left port an hour early and we didn't waste time getting over to the western side of the gulf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app