Upcoming Dining Changes

This is not directed at any one person- it's just that I have to say I'm a little frustrated by some of the comments.

I realize everyone comes from different backgrounds and lifestyles, but reading over and over- "why not just raise the rates to keep what we want????" gets to me.

Not everyone is in the position to afford an increase. It's sometimes scraping by and cutting back to take that cruise!

It's strange- many are looking for something free from the cruise lines, others want to keep their luxuries and raise the rates!

Go Figure!

I also may be in the minority, I don't know- but I have never liked dressing up! I do it very well, but it's not what I especially want to do on vacation. I'm required to do it in the real world enough. Give me my capri pants and sandals- that's how I like to go- especially on vacation!

Bravo....my same thought.....If I have to dress up even for dinner on my vacation....I get grumpy. I go to the Caribbean to dress casual and enjoy myself. Not to try and keep up with the Jones ( which I CAN thank you ).

It's ok with me if you want to....but don't think my experience is any different thatn yours. I do not want to pay more cuz I don't NEED more....I am satisfied with what Carnival has to offer...if I don't want MEATLOAF I order something else....plenty of nice thing son the menu. And I love seeing people enjoying themselves which is what Carnival is all about. I went on a HAL cruise one time....like I said 1 TIME and that was enough for me. Food was great but OMG very quiet and no fun at all....well I did enjoy the cruising part !!!!

Glad to hear that there are cruise lines that meet your needs and expectations. I value my time "away" and it is important that we all get what we need. I am blessed to have actually never had a vacation that I could complain about and that is really a wonderful thing. I apologize for taking this "thread" into negativity. It was never my intention. Please enjoy your vacation time on whichever line you chose (even if it is Carnival). I know all too well... life is too short for controversy!

For any other new cruisers, just my opinion, but for the money... there really isn't a better valued vacation.

Glad to hear that there are cruise lines that meet your needs and expectations. I value my time "away" and it is important that we all get what we need. I am blessed to have actually never had a vacation that I could complain about and that is really a wonderful thing. I apologize for taking this "thread" into negativity. It was never my intention. Please enjoy your vacation time on whichever line you chose (even if it is Carnival). I know all too well... life is too short for controversy!

For any other new cruisers, just my opinion, but for the money... there really isn't a better valued vacation.

Naz, that really is all that matters, your opinion. :D

In 1986 on the Holiday, my first Carnival ship, we sat with strangers at big tables. There were crackers and celery sticks on the tables, along with fresh flowers.

There were very few items on the menu, and your sides were served on big trays by the busboy who went from passenger to passenger, dishing the veggies onto your plate.

On formal night, the baked Alaska was flamed and paraded around the dining room--it was your only option for dessert.

I've seen plenty of changes in the MDR over the years. As with any change, I hated to see some things go, but generally was happy with the new choices. I'm sure I'll be happy with most of the changes happening in the dining room, after a short period of wishing things were back the way they were.

Bravo....my same thought.....If I have to dress up even for dinner on my vacation....I get grumpy. I go to the Caribbean to dress casual and enjoy myself. Not to try and keep up with the Jones ( which I CAN thank you ).

It's ok with me if you want to....but don't think my experience is any different thatn yours. I do not want to pay more cuz I don't NEED more....I am satisfied with what Carnival has to offer...if I don't want MEATLOAF I order something else....plenty of nice thing son the menu. And I love seeing people enjoying themselves which is what Carnival is all about. I went on a HAL cruise one time....like I said 1 TIME and that was enough for me. Food was great but OMG very quiet and no fun at all....well I did enjoy the cruising part !!!!

Thank you! One other point I just HAVE to make!

There are PLENTY of ships in the sea. We can all make choices.

If you don't like one- try another!

Re: Dining changes

Here's my prediction of what may happen and it would be brilliant, imo, because we'd definitely pay.

I think this scenario is pretty realistic and would be a money maker.

Maybe cruisers will be offered a choice of dining experiences/programs.

Basic Dining at no extra charge ie: the everyday menu with a daily special or two.

Enhanced Dining for a fee of, say, $10 - $15 pp/per day with not only the Basic Dining program available but a specialty menu with better choices than we have now - always a good cut of beef included.

I have no doubt the logistics could be handled by dedicating a portion of each dining room to each program or, based on popularity, an entire dining room.

$15 is pretty much the charge for onboard specialty restaurants besides the steakhouse.

I also think it's time to end allowing multiple entrees too.

The number of people I saw doing that was mind blowing. :eek:

If you're still hungry after dinner, time to go to Lido - jmo.

I still don't see enforced dress codes but what do I know.

Edited by PresDuLac

Here's my prediction of what may happen and it would be brilliant, imo, because we'd definitely pay.

Basic Dining at no extra charge ie: the everyday menu with a daily special or two.

Enhanced Dining for a fee of, say, $10 - $15 pp/per day with not only the Basic Dining program available but a specialty menu with better choices than we have now - always a good cut of beef included.

I have no doubt the logistics could be handled by dedicating a portion of each dining room to each program or, based on popularity, an entire dining room.

$15 is pretty much the charge for onboard specialty restaurants besides the steakhouse.

Wow. That's a great idea. You should share with john heald on his Facebook page.

Sounds a lot like free style dining II that NCL has which is why it will never happen.

Edited by jimbo5544

The Carnival cruisers (on CC anyway) do NOT enjoy options that cost extra for some reason.

I don't know how the CCL cruisers who are not CC members feel, but if it were up to the cheer-fans here, this would never fly.

GOD forbid, someone pay extra and get extra...they don't like that. If they can't afford it they want NO one else to have it either.

Edited by halos

The Carnival cruisers (on CC anyway) do NOT enjoy options that cost extra for some reason.

I don't know how the CCL cruisers who are not CC members feel, but if it were up to the cheer-fans here, this would never fly.

GOD forbid, someone pay extra and get extra...they don't like that. If they can't afford it they want NO one else to have it either.

Who knows.... I do kind of like the thought, maybe not quite as far as NCL took it. When we toured the Breakaway in New York, it was interesting to see all the food choices and options. (and I do qualify for a cheer fan) But as a realist, I recognize that it would equivicate to same as we will enver see a rock climbing wall or flow rider on a Carnival ship (although they did put one in Gran Turk).

Slippery slope when they start asking you to pay for option after option.

Fine for us to pay extra for steakhouse and a drink or two but when they start charging for more stuff in the DR or a show would not be a happy camper.

Fine for us to pay extra for steakhouse and a drink or two but when they start charging for more stuff in the DR or a show would not be a happy camper.

Even if it were something that is currently NOT on the menu??????

What is the difference if the free menu remains the same?

They sort of tried this a few years ago already on the ships without steakhouses. Have to admit that I even tried it once. Once was enough, the quality of my "premium" steak in the dining room was nowhere close to what is served in the CCL steakhouses.

While I hear your point, I think there is plenty of wiggle room in the middle (Slippery slope and wiggle room in the same thread WOW, let's keep it going:rolleyes:). There was a poster here a while back who I would get into it with many times. She kept telling me options are good, not bad. I believe she was correct, its in moderation. Shows (or should I say entertainment), now that is a whole differnet ball game (does that count as three??:confused:).

They sort of tried this a few years ago already on the ships without steakhouses. Have to admit that I even tried it once. Once was enough, the quality of my "premium" steak in the dining room was nowhere close to what is served in the CCL steakhouses.

It did not work out. I wonder if the ambiance was (maybe is) part of the equation.

Sounds a lot like free style dining II that NCL has which is why it will never happen.

Oh, and here I thought I was being all innovative and positive. :(

I've heard about freestyle but, honestly, have never investigated it because NCL doesn't fit in my plans.

I still think it's going to be something more on that order than the removal of tablecloths, meatloaf & fried chicken only, and allowing bare chests and feet in the MDR. :rolleyes:

I've heard about freestyle but, honestly, have never investigated it because NCL doesn't fit in my plans.

I still think it's going to be something more on that order than the removal of tablecloths, meatloaf & fried chicken only, and allowing bare chests and feet in the MDR. :rolleyes:

Sure hope so. After we wasted all this time discussing;) My guess it will be just what John said it would be....all about the food. We will see.

I couldn't remember if John had mentioned when this new roll out menu of changes was going to be. Im trying to decide which night for our Steakhouse reservation. I read over Zydeco's posting of menus last night and chose the 2nd night formal night; but if the menus are changing by Xmas, that reservation might change.

Just my opinion but this is how I see a modernised dining room experience.

Freshen up the menu (many choices are old fashioned in both the presentation and style).

Have the sides ordered separately. As it is now, many people are leaving the sides and that is a huge waste. If the sides were plated up separately, then people could chose which to add to their meat portion and eliminate a lot of wastage.

Brighten and simplify the décor.

Offer wine matching and increase the DR bar staff.

We tried NCL and liked the variety of restaurants but they were not FREE so we didn't get their Freestyle dining advertising! Too many for fee and too few for free venues.