New to Celebrity & CC - Questions about Century and the Panama Canal

Me&Red

Hello!

We are experienced cruisers (Princess, NCL, Carnival, Regent Seven Seas) but are new to Cruise Critic and preparing for our first Celebrity cruise.

We are booked on the January 20 eastbound Panama Canal cruise aboard the Century.

From what I've read here, it seems that many people think that the Century is "tired" but still elegant. I see that she's got a brief dry-dock immediately after our cruise.

My DW most enjoys reading in a cozy spot, often the cabin or our balcony, or visiting the spa, and I like to be out and about on sea days, joining games and having some fun.

I've not been able to find daily activity guides online for a Celebrity Panama cruise. Can anyone give me an idea of sea day activities? Bridge? Trivia? Movies? Lectures?

Has anyone spent much time in Persian Gardens on the Century? I've read here that there is no therapy pool on Century - what is in the spa area that DW can enjoy?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

One other question, please. Is the library open 24/7 on the honor system, like Regent, or open for check-out during certain hours, like Princess and Carnival? Or something in between?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have done three Panama Canal full transits on Celebrity ships. On each there was a speaker offering lectures about the region, and during the actual transit (which takes about nine to ten hours) there will be a narration available in the public areas of the ship and on the staterooms TVs describing what you are actually seeing.

I've been on Century three times, but not on a canal trip, and Century has a lovely lounge above the bridge (the Hemisphere) which would be perfect for viewing the canal if you find the weather too hot or humid.

Celebrity libraries are open 24/7. The Century library has a quirk -- it has two sides with the main hallway dividing it. On one side is the non-fiction and a card room, and the other side has the fiction with sofas and so forth.