Local currency

Thebosn1

I am cruising on LEGEND in August from LA to Sydney. I have a question about local currency at the South Pacific ports. I'm sure that Fiji and the French ports have their own currency, but will I NEED to exchange US dollars there?

If so, where and when should I do that? I don't want to get off the ship and stand in line with 2000 other people to exchange a little spending money for the port.

So can I use US dollars or credit card in any of these ports? If I have to have local currency what is the best way to get it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim

In Papeete, there are few banks with atm machines right across the street from where the ship docks. They will accept cards with a (4 digit) pin-code.

I can't guess as to how crowded they might be when/if one is trying to access them at any particular time of day, but when we were there, they were either available or we had to wait for a person to be done before using them. There weren't any lines at all to speak of.

It is a really easy process.....just like using an atm at home(U.S.), as long as one is familiar with the exchange rate. The current USD to XPF rate is 1:85 -- (it was around 1:90 at the time when we were there).

For those arriving by air, there is also an atm in the airport. IIRC, there was a couple people in line there using it, but it wasn't much more than a 5-10 min. wait to use the machine.

In FP, many places do accept USD, but I've found (like in most foreign places in the world that accept USD) often the exchange rate offered usually works in favor of the vendor. While this may not make much of worthy difference for small purchases, it may for larger ones.

Have you checked if your ship does any currency exchange for your ports? They may not have very good exchange rates, but if you're only getting a few dollars converted, it could work.

Don

Don I was told they do not.

Jim

I am cruising on LEGEND in August from LA to Sydney. I have a question about local currency at the South Pacific ports. I'm sure that Fiji and the French ports have their own currency, but will I NEED to exchange US dollars there?

If so, where and when should I do that? I don't want to get off the ship and stand in line with 2000 other people to exchange a little spending money for the port.

So can I use US dollars or credit card in any of these ports? If I have to have local currency what is the best way to get it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim

The local currency in Fiji is the Fijian $. If you are docking in Suva, there are plenty of ATMs in the shopping area. These are mainly attached to Australian banks and you need the 4 digit pin. I know most vendors used to dealing with tourists will accept AUD and calculate the change rate but any change will be given in Fijian currency. Larger stores will probably exchange USD but if say you wish to buy something at a pharmacy, you would need local currency in all likelihood.

As the ship should dock right in town, if you really need to get some Fijian $ it will be no hassle just to access an ATM.

I agree with previous poster re ATMs in Papeete, we had no wait at the local ATM and it is very close to where the ship docks. It's very hard to estimate how much you will spend in these places but as it's very hot and humid, we always seem to stop somewhere for a cool drink and DH often buys a T-shirt so we always spend more than we expect. :D

Enjoy your cruise.

The local currency in Fiji is the Fijian $. If you are docking in Suva, there are plenty of ATMs in the shopping area. These are mainly attached to Australian banks and you need the 4 digit pin. I know most vendors used to dealing with tourists will accept AUD and calculate the change rate but any change will be given in Fijian currency. Larger stores will probably exchange USD but if say you wish to buy something at a pharmacy, you would need local currency in all likelihood.

As the ship should dock right in town, if you really need to get some Fijian $ it will be no hassle just to access an ATM.

I agree with previous poster re ATMs in Papeete, we had no wait at the local ATM and it is very close to where the ship docks. It's very hard to estimate how much you will spend in these places but as it's very hot and humid, we always seem to stop somewhere for a cool drink and DH often buys a T-shirt so we always spend more than we expect. :D

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you. Going to be complicated trying to figure out how much local currency to bring for these places. :eek:

You have 3 stops in French Polynesia. Except for small local crafts you won't need any money in local currency. Just use the ATM in PPT when you arrive at your first stop in French Polynesia. For any large purchase like pearls at the better quality shops they will accept credit cards. Some of the tour vendors prefer local money but usually will accept USD but won't give you the best exchange rate. Don't over due the exchange, a bit hard to sell back without taking a hit. I would figure $200 USD converted is about right for the local craft stuff. Add extra depending on your tours you will be taking on the 3 FP islands.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

You have 3 stops in French Polynesia. Except for small local crafts you won't need any money in local currency. Just use the ATM in PPT when you arrive at your first stop in French Polynesia. For any large purchase like pearls at the better quality shops they will accept credit cards. Some of the tour vendors prefer local money but usually will accept USD but won't give you the best exchange rate. Don't over due the exchange, a bit hard to sell back without taking a hit. I would figure $200 USD converted is about right for the local craft stuff. Add extra depending on your tours you will be taking on the 3 FP islands.

Thank you.

We stopped at Papeete, bora bora and Moorea on Our recent cruise. We got about$100 equivalent out at the ATM and its was about right, even a little too much. In Papeete we used some at a market to buy some vanilla, bought a drink, but then used a credit card to buy pearls (Amex). In bora bora we had a tour which wanted payment in US cash, and we went to a little shop and bought water. They also took $US which one shopper used but they only took notes and gave change in Francs. I used credit card at another pearl shop and local cash at a shaved ice vendor. There was also a market set up for the day for the tourists and they advertised their prices either in francs or dollars.

Same for Moorea, did a ship tour and used local cash to buy a drink, and there was a market that took both currencies.

So if you're only planning on making big purchases, only get a small amount out in cash for incedentals like if you need a drink.