6/27 southbound Sun Princess-A+

SunnyCal

Thought I'd share our experience for anyone considering an Alaska cruise. It was a fabulous trip and one I hope to do again in the future. We are a family of five, with three kids 9, 12, and 13. I posted a review a few days ago, but I don't see it yet.

Precruise-3 full days in Anchorage. Stayed at Big Bear Bed & Breakfast. Host was very knowledgeable about Alaska and shared her expertise with us. Food was unbelievably delicious and unique to Alaska. Day One-Hiked Flattop mountain, explored the Tony Knowles trail, saw the Northern Lights movie in downtown and ate dinner at the Mooses Tooth (great pizza and homemade rootbeer). Day Two-drove south to Girdwood, stopping at scenic points. Took Alpine Air helicopter to Punch Bowl glacier where we dogsledded. Also in Girdwood we tried our luck at gold panning at the Crow Creek Mine. Continued drive south to Portage Glacier. Day Three-Drove south to Eklutna. Hiked to Thunderbird Falls and visited the old Russian cemetary, Visited the Alaska Native Heritage Center and then shopped at Alaska Wildberry Products. Dinner at Mooses Tooth again. A great three days. We did need bug repellent. Dogsledding here gave us three advantages: left Skagway and Juneau open for other excursions, had a three day window in case of bad weather, and it was several hundred dollars cheaper. This was the hi-lite of the kids week, though they loved everything we did.

Cruise-Not a single complaint about the Sun. Great food, fun entertainment, good kids program, excellent service. We had one balcony and an interior triple across the hall. I wouldn't cruise Alaska next time without the balcony. Amazing views all day and into the evening.

Skagway-did the 8:15 White Pass Railroad. Beautiful scenery and narration was interesting. Back to ship for lunch then did the Chilkoot Hike and Float through Southeast Tours. This was a fantastic excursion. We had a guide to ourselves. Hiked 2 miles of the Chilkoot (only first 1/4 mile was strenuous). During our leisurely hike the guide pointed out signs of bears, eagles nests, talked about goldrush and native peoples. He allowed us to try wild cucumber and watermelon berries. My tired kids were soon enthusiastically chatting and searching for berries. At the end of the hike we were given waterproof boots and we floated down the Taiya River. Four ships were in Skagway that day, and we saw not another soul on the river. Saw eagles soaring above us. We learned a lot and this was one of our top experiences.

Juneau- Took Captain Larry's whale watching excursion. An added bonus, we were on the maiden voyage of his new boat "the Awesome Odysea". The boat is new, fast and PURPLE. Saw eagles, sea lions and humpbacks-a few even breeched for us. Larry chatted with the kids and posed for photos.

Ketchikan- Michelle of Island Wings took us in her floatplane into Misty Fjords. Yes, it was misty and incredible beautiful. Because it was cool and overcast it was perfectly smooth flying weather. Landed and experienced the solitude. MIchelle was also very good with the kids.

Vancouver-stayed over one night to get a taste of Canada. Figured out the city buses and headed to Cappellano Suspension Bridge. The Treehouse experience is pretty neat. It was a nice couple of hours in the woods. Went to Stanley Park. They have a free shuttle which we took advantage of. Would have loved to spend another day here, hiking some of the trails. Only saw a fraction of what the Park has to offer.

Overall Comments: this was an expensive vacation and well worth the $$$ spent. Our family has wonderful memories and once in a lifetime experiences. I would not hesitate to sail the Sun Princess again. Weather was typical for Alaska: cool by my standards. Never wore the shorts, t-shirts or swimsuit. It rained lightly in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, but with raincoats and a hat we went about our plans. Maybe luck, maybe my over-planning, probably a bit of both, but everything went like clockwork. No disapointments. Every excursion met our expectations and then some.

Feel free to ask questions, I am having a bit of withdrawal and still reading this board to hear of other's trips.

Sunnycal

Sunnycal - How did you contact Southeast Tours and how long did it take for you to hear back from them? I've left them a voicemail and sent an email, but no reply yet. I've read other posters on these boards have had the same experience with them not getting back to you.

I e-mailed the request for a tour (from their website)back in February and Dave called me the next day. I'm sure since it was off season he had nothing else to do but return calls. I was disappointed to read of others' frustration in trying to communicate with Southeast. It certainly is busy there now, but if they want to stay in business, they better get their act together. They certainly don't make it easy with no phone number on the website. Too bad, because they do offer a worthwhile excursion.

Your information was wonderful. I'm going on the Sun Princess on August 8th and can't wait! We have the flexible dining time instead of the reserved seating. Which did you have? What would you recommend in terms of dining? What were the entertainment highlights on the ship?

We had traditional dining, early seating, and this worked out really well for us. Verdi's Pizzeria was good as was Sterling Steakhouse. We didn't try the outside grill-too chilly to eat outside.

As for the entertainment; we enjoyed the piano player in the lounge. We loved the comedian/juggler. In fact we saw his 8:00 show, and when the kids came back from the kids club at 10:00 we took them to see him too. Young and old enjoyed his humor and juggling ability. The comedian/ventriliquist was funny also. We didn't make it to any of the musical type shows, too tired from our early mornings and excursions.

You will have an awesome trip. Tell us all about it when you get back.

Sunnycal

SunnyCal, we were on the same cruise, we were even on the same maiden voyage with Captain Larry with you, and if I'm not mistaken we were took the Island Princess flight plane with Michelle right after you. You have 3 daughters. I remember seeing them and their parents. Amazingly we were also on the 8:15 a.m. train in Skagway, but I don't remember seeing you on that. Isn't it a small world. Like you and your family we had a wonderful cruise, we had an ocean view and really enjoyed our window. We were able to "sit" in the window and look out. We didn't know if we would have been able to enjoy a balcony, I was cold most of the time. Went up on deck as much as we could but the rain and cold kept us inside so we really enjoyed that window. Sorry we didn't get to meet but hey, maybe next time.

We are doing the SB Sun in August. What nights were the formal nights? Where could you eat if you decided not to dress up? I don't think I am going to bring suits for my teen boys. Do the washers and dryers work while in port? I was planning on doing all the laundry as soon as I get on the ship!

I was glad to hear you had such a marvelous time!

Thanks for all the good information -- I am leaving northbound on August 1 -- figuring out what to bring clotheswise seems to be the most difficult decisions to make right now -- I don't want to overpack, but am concerned I will be too cold or too hot and not have enough of either kinds of clothing. . .This is my first cruise -- I'm excited and nervous -- first time on a helicopter too. I'll post my experience when I get back too. As far as cruising, would you do it again?:)

The high in Juneau yesterday was 63F. The most important thing to pack is a water repellant layer to protect you from the mist and rain that often occurs in this part of Alaska. This layer will also provide a certain amount of warmth as well. Light weight windbreakers are ideal. I've found that a polo shirt and a windbreaker are usually sufficient but if not I stop in a shop and purchase a sweatshirt to put in between. While in port you'll find it very casual. Pack comfortable walking shoes and a pair of walking shorts as they may come in handy if the weather gets warm (and it can).

Anchorage has been experiencing similar temperatures.

Have a GREAT trip to the GREAT LAND!!!

SourdoughSteve

You'll find the Horizon Court on board the Sun Princess with a 24 hour menu and casual dress is not a problem. I eat there rather than the formal dining room most of the time as I still want to be able to see the magnificent vistas along the way which are often hard to see from some of the tables in the dining room.

Have a great trip!

SourdoughSteve

AuntB-yes, that was us with the three young ladies. Amazing, our itineraries overlapped so much and we didn't chat. Did you by any chance catch a photo of the Humpback breeching in Juneau? We thought we did, and after downloading and viewing them last night, we were disappointed that we didn't have more than a splash.

Tiggrbaby- My advice for the laundry is to hit the laundry rooms ASAP after boarding. Many, many people are coming off a land tour and everyone wants to do laundry that first afternoon. We spent a few hours exploring the ship and then tried to wash clothes. Big mistake. Our first dinner was spent running back and forth to check on the dryer and remove clothes. If the machines are full one one deck, run up or down and check the others. Our formal nights were College Fjord and Ketchikan. We chose to eat at Sterling Steakhouse the night we were in Skagway. We had early seating, but our excursion didn't finish until 6:30. Fortunately, the kids club was having a kids dinner at 7:00 and the girls were happy to go there. My husband and I had a wonderful dinner by the window-filet mignon and three desserts. There was no problem getting a reservation for the time we wanted.

Nevertolate- I would cruise again and again if time and money were no object. And I wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Sun or other Princess ship in the future. I am already thinking of a future trip back to Alaska, maybe in 3 or 4 years time, trying to fit in a longer land adventure pre-cruise, still cruise south and yet hit different ports.

Enjoy your cruise and Alaska,

Sunnycal

AuntB-yes, that was us with the three young ladies. Amazing, our itineraries overlapped so much and we didn't chat. Did you by any chance catch a photo of the Humpback breeching in Juneau? We thought we did, and after downloading and viewing them last night, we were disappointed that we didn't have more than a splash.

Yes, I have a lot of pictures with splashes in them too. I did get one picture with the humpback breeching, but I had not zoomed in so it is a distant shot. I know there was another lady on the boat with a digital camera that apparently got some really good shots. If you would like me to send you the one picture let me know.

Glad you had a good time, don't know about you guys, but we plan to go back again, hopefully soon. Next year we are doing the Panama Canal, so maybe 2007. :)

AuntB-thanks for the offer of the photo. I have one more person to try, she actually posted the photo here on cruisecritic and it was nice and close, so I am hoping track her down. I've got to search through past posts.

Jax-I had no problem communicating with Alpine Air back in Feb. I called and talked to Sarah. She was very helpful in helping me select a day and time. They are like all the companies up there right now, extremely busy. The helicpoters drop one group at the glacier and take the previous tour group back to the hangar, and it is like that all day long. I hope you are able to get a hold of them, it was a great experience.

Archived