VOIP on Celebrity Reflection

goldencruiser

Has anyone had any recent experience with VOIP (voice over internet protocol) on the Celebrity Reflection or Silhouette. I would hope to make calls over the WiFi but have concerns over it being blocked.

Hi Goldencruiser,

Generally, Celebrity's internet connection (especially via WiFi) are slow and unreliable. I'd keep your expectations extremely low, if at all - for any sort of VOIP applications. I believe that other members have said VOIP is a no-go. Hopefully, other members will share their insights. Wish I had better news for you.

Edited by Host Andy

You will have issues with latency even if the bandwidth was OK.

Depending where you cruise you might find a mobile with 3G works, we had coverage when going up the east coast of Australia with Telstra... I remember using Skype as we went around the top end... their coverage extends 20-70km out to sea.

We were hoping that with the new internet service provider (OnWaves) on the Reflection and Silhouette that the WiFi might be faster. Would love to hear from anyone who has used OnWaves. We don't hold much hope - just wishing.

We could not use VoIP or Skype even with the newer On Waves program. The connection was far too slow.