Tahiti Cruise disembarkation

rhsjr

We are trying to find options to return home after a Tahiti cruise. The ship docks in Papeete at 8 PM and Princess Disembarkation starts at 8 AM the next morning according to the itinerary and a call to Princess. BUT All U.S. flights leave at 7:55 AM or 11:50 PM. Has anyone experienced Princess letting you leave the ship at 4:30 AM to catch the 7:55 AM flights?

We've done the Tahiti cruise three times. On our last, we left the ship immediately after it docked in an attempt to beat the rush the next night at the airport (terrible!). You need to request a deviation from Princess before you sail and you are completely on your own as far as responsibility and arrangements. You would need a guarantee from a taxi company that someone would be there and also that port security would let you out that early in the morning.

We've done the Tahiti cruise three times. On our last, we left the ship immediately after it docked in an attempt to beat the rush the next night at the airport (terrible!). You need to request a deviation from Princess before you sail and you are completely on your own as far as responsibility and arrangements. You would need a guarantee from a taxi company that someone would be there and also that port security would let you out that early in the morning.

Yes, I have heard of folks being let off early. But keep in mind that you will have to tend to your own luggage when deboarding and taxis must be prearranged for early pickup. The early taxi is especially hard to "reliably" obtain if the debarkation falls on the weekend (and especially so on a Sunday).

Instead, why not take advantage of the arrangements that Princess provides? you are permitted to stay, or go and return, to the ship all day long as the sip stays in port overnight for guests boarding for the next cruise. They will also stow your luggage in a secure area so you are unburdenered to tour, shop, whatever until your later departure to the airport. Although they want you out of your cabins by 8 AM you are permitted all day use of the buffet, the pools and showers, and all of the public spaces on the ship until the transportation leaves for the airport in the early evening. You can use this time to arrange a day tour on the island of Tahiti, shop, or just hang-out in town.

Some folks also like to do a day rental from one the Papeete hotels to pass the time. The Intercontinental often does this for Princess guests in the low-season after Christmas/New Year until March.

Edited by TRauppius

We got a deviation from Princess and will disembark the night before the cruise ends. As the OP says we will have already spent 3 full days in Papeete before the cruise. For me the vacation is over once I have to give up my cabin and I don't find it relaxing to hang out in the ship all day with twice as many guests as usual. This is my feeling on land vacations as well.

As far as getting transportation to the airport I'm going to ask the concierge at the Intercontinental to reccomend a service. I'm sure that it'll be more than a taxi but I'll have piece of mind that we get there.

Thanks and what you say is all true, but since Princess starts the cruise with 2 days in that port, adding a 3rd day is a little tooo much.

I would suggest getting up very early on one of those two days and taking the ferry to Moorea for the day! That island has the prettiest beaches in all of Tahiti.

Also, having been there several times I can't fathom why anyone would want to leave Tahiti one second before they absolutely HAD to.

Edited by chamima