Hurricane in Philipines

RivaDiva

With the news of the Hurricane in the Philipines our hearts must go out to the beautiful Filipino staff on Fred Olsen lines. They are the most lovely people and a lot of them must have friends and relatives affected by this catastrophe.

There must be many worried people amongst the crew and staff on the Fred. Olsen ships. I know in the past the company have done their utmost to ensure that all possible is done to help any affected by storms, earthquakes etc. I assume they will launch an appeal for funds to help those in need and will ask regular cruises to contribute and the company will match the funds received.

Our thoughts are with all the Philipino staff at this very difficult time.

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines supports Filipino crew members affected by ‘Super Typhoon Haiyan’

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is taking urgent action to support those of its Filipino crew members who have been affected by the terrible impacts of ‘Super Typhoon Haiyan’ upon their homes and families.

The majority of Fred. Olsen’s crew aboard its four cruise ships – Balmoral, Braemar, Boudicca and Black Watch – are from the Philippines. Many have family and friends who have been affected by the recent flooding and devastation caused by ‘Super Typhoon Haiyan’ – one of the most powerful storms ever to make landfall – and have seen their homes and belongings destroyed, and many families left homeless and some, sadly, feared lost.

Fred. Olsen is facilitating the return home of a number of staff from the most devastated areas in the Philippines, and is sending a sizeable donation to its crewing agent in the region – Bahia Shipping – to distribute to families in urgent need of help.

A number of Fred. Olsen customers, past and present, have also expressed their concern and asked how they can help. In response, the cruise line is establishing a fund to help victims related to its crew members, and donations will be distributed through its crewing agent. Those guests currently on board Fred. Olsen’s ships can contribute through their onboard cabin accounts by completing a donation slip and returning it to Reception; cheques can also be made out to ‘Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines’ and sent to Deborah Moore, Accounts Department, Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Fred. Olsen House, White House Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 5LL, United Kingdom.

Mike Rodwell, Managing Director of Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, said:

"This is a very worrying time for many of our crew, with families in the Philippines, and we are offering them as much support as we can at this extremely difficult time.

“As a company, we want to do as much as possible to help those of our seafarers and their families who are most in need, and we are all very touched by the concern shown by so many of our guests for the crew and their loved ones."

Fred. Olsen is also co-ordinating activities and events amongst its staff at its Headquarters in Ipswich, Suffolk, to raise desperately-needed funds.

For further information on Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, visit the website at www.fredolsencruises.com

Edited by louise1809

Many of our lovely customers have been sending in donations to the office, this is very touching, we obviously have many caring compassionate guests, also, in head office we are having a dress down day tomorrow for the fund, and I have heard many stories about the fund raising on the ships, including tug of wars, and throwing the captain in the pool among others! Its heart breaking to watch the news, and it is not going unnoticed by any of us, we will carry on fund raising and praying for everyone out in the phillipines.

We have just returned from a lovely cruise on Braemar where the passengers raised over £8,000 from donations via their on board accounts and a raffle of a hamper by the on board shop. It's a pity that the ship was not sailing full as much more could have been raised. However, I'm sure that the lovely Filipino staff will very grateful for all donations from all four ships. Our thoughts are with them and their families.

We have just returned from a lovely cruise on Braemar where the passengers raised over £8,000 from donations via their on board accounts and a raffle of a hamper by the on board shop. It's a pity that the ship was not sailing full as much more could have been raised. However, I'm sure that the lovely Filipino staff will very grateful for all donations from all four ships. Our thoughts are with them and their families.

Welcome home Iceland.

We are say in a cafe in Dover about to board the Braemar.

How was the mood of the crew onboard? Some worried people I would guess?

You will find our staff onboard to be very professional at all times, and there for whatever you need, but I am sure they are still concerned for those at home, of course.

We are continuing fund raising here in the Head Office, and offering support to any staff who need it. We had a dress down day Friday and on Monday next week are holding a Quiz, there is even car washing going on at work for the appeal! Our passengers are also continuing to send in donations, which is so lovely.

Enjoy your cruise on board Braemar!

Hi all.

Just got off the Braemar yesterday. I have to say the crew are an absolute credit to Fred Olsen and themselves. There were some worried faces, but under the circumstances who could blame them, I certainly didn't. Professional service from all.

The Vista speakers, Shirley Anne Fields and Tony Soloman auctioned some movie memorabilia, and you could donate to the appeal fund through your onboard account. I'm not sure how much was raised but Shirley Annes' signed movie cell went for £250.