Setting up a cash account on Breakaway

RIMAGram

Hi- I will be sailing on Breakaway 15 Dec 2013, 1st cruise. I read on NCL website that you can set up a cash account to pay for purchases. I would like to do this. Any thoughts/ comments from seasoned cruisers? I don't plan on having huge on board purchases, want to stay on budget. Thank you for any input.

Bon voyage!

Here's NCL FAQ on Cash/Traveler's Check Procedures

http://www.ncl.com/faq#onboard-expenses

After you pass through security screening, you'll establish a cash account as part of the check-in process.

Note: Heed the FAQ warning and do not to use a debit card. Also, budget for the daily service charge of $12 per person per day or consider prepaying it. FAQ on the Daily Service Charge http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures

You can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess. US Traveler's Checks can be cashed onboard and are the same as cash.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed onboard.

Edited by kylenyc

Thank you! This info helps. I won't use the debit card & we prepaid the service charges. Was just curious if anyone had experience paying by cash - any pros or cons, or it doesn't really matter one way or another. BTW - good name - my son Kyle & his family are also going along. We're excited! Thanks again.

I did this on the Gem recently, had used a credit card in the past. The one thing I will tell you is don't put a large amount in at one time. You can add to it as you go. If you don't spend what is in the account it is not refunded at the end of the cruise, they send a refund check about 30 days after.

I did this on the Gem recently, had used a credit card in the past. The one thing I will tell you is don't put a large amount in at one time. You can add to it as you go. If you don't spend what is in the account it is not refunded at the end of the cruise, they send a refund check about 30 days after.

Thank you! this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I appreciate the input.

We used cash on our cruise last nov on the Jewel and when we got within $25-0 our card was frozen until we made additional deposit. We had pre paid our service fees and anything else that we could pay for pre cruise.

Thank you also! I am glad for the input because I didn't know exactly how cash would work. Didn't want to mess things up. Can't wait for the cruise!

Do you have to put down $300 per person if using cash or is that a recommended amount? We definitely would not spend that much and usually only deposit $300 total for the 2 of us on a 7 night cruise. Not really interested in putting down twice as much only to have it mailed back to me later lol.

Do you have to put down $300 per person if using cash or is that a recommended amount? We definitely would not spend that much and usually only deposit $300 total for the 2 of us on a 7 night cruise. Not really interested in putting down twice as much only to have it mailed back to me later lol.

You can put whatever amount you want. They don't care to do business that way but it is your choice.

If you don't spend what is in the account it is not refunded at the end of the cruise, they send a refund check about 30 days after.

Actually, NCL leads you to believe this is the case (to eliminate congestion on disembarkation day) as they put that note on your final bill they slip under the door, but you can get the remainder of your money you did not spend on disembarkation day. You just have to go to the service desk.

We did it on the Pearl last year. Over $700 not used. No way we were letting NCL hold that money for a month!

It is also noted on their website that you can receive a refund of remaining funds on disembarkation day.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Actually, NCL leads you to believe this is the case (to eliminate congestion on disembarkation day) as they put that note on your final bill they slip under the door, but you can get the remainder of your money you did not spend on disembarkation day. You just have to go to the service desk.

We did it on the Pearl last year. Over $700 not used. No way we were letting NCL hold that money for a month!

It is also noted on their website that you can receive a refund of remaining funds on disembarkation day.

Thanks! This is great info also.

We had a balance from our cruise in november of .27.....I am still waiting for the darn check. :rolleyes::D;)

The easiest way to do it is to link a credit card to the account, then pay the balance on the shipboard account off with cash near the end of the cruise. Any last night purchases are charged to the CC (maybe not a lot depending on your onboard habits):rolleyes:

Don't know your circumstances so feel free to ignore my post.

Just got off the Gem today, so hopefully this info would also apply to the Breakaway. When we checked in and they set up our key cards, we were asked if we wanted to use a credit card. I explained that I would prefer to use a cash account and we were told to see Guest Services to set that up once on board. So we stopped there first after we boarded, waited in line and when we got up to the counter, the rep simply asked us how much we wanted to put on the account. Nothing was mentioned about a minimum or anything like that.

This morning, a copy of our account info with charges was outside our door along with a letter explaining that a check would be mailed to the address on file if there was cash remaining on the account, but we could also get it by visiting Guest Services (which I chose to do, seemed ridiculous to wait for a check for five dollars and change).

The easiest way to do it is to link a credit card to the account, then pay the balance on the shipboard account off with cash near the end of the cruise. Any last night purchases are charged to the CC (maybe not a lot depending on your onboard habits):rolleyes:

Don't know your circumstances so feel free to ignore my post.

Didn't realize you could do this. Thanks for this tip!

Just got off the Gem today, so hopefully this info would also apply to the Breakaway. When we checked in and they set up our key cards, we were asked if we wanted to use a credit card. I explained that I would prefer to use a cash account and we were told to see Guest Services to set that up once on board. So we stopped there first after we boarded, waited in line and when we got up to the counter, the rep simply asked us how much we wanted to put on the account. Nothing was mentioned about a minimum or anything like that.

This morning, a copy of our account info with charges was outside our door along with a letter explaining that a check would be mailed to the address on file if there was cash remaining on the account, but we could also get it by visiting Guest Services (which I chose to do, seemed ridiculous to wait for a check for five dollars and change).

Thank you for the info! So glad I discovered this site, lots of good advice.

Can anyone give me a reason you would do this? Paying by CC means the money is in your account for an extra 45 days (more interest) and you get cash back/points from your card. Why use cash??

My guess is not everyone has a CC or that is just what they prefer. We prefer to use cash.

For me, this was my first cruise and I was unsure how it would work with having holds on my cc. Plus I had a major issue with the customer service at my cc the past month or so, and I just didn't want to spend the whole cruise worrying about it.

As far as earning interest on the money, the pennies I would've gotten weren't even worth the worrying I would have done. I was much happier using cash and having a relaxing vacation.

And at the end of my vacation, my DH actually admitted that using a cash account kept him from buying more expensive items from the gift shop, so it helped us stay on budget as well.