Splendor maintenance Tuesday 11/12

KLMMD11

We arrived at 345am in port canaveral for loading work via a crane. They loaded huge CAT generators onboard for some work that needed to be done, but of corse it's now 3 hrs after sail time and we are still sitting here at the dock. They say we're going soon, but they say that every hour so far! We were told we will be arriving late to Nassau tomorrow now and the longer we sit the later out arrival will get if not scrapped! Not happy!!!!

Oh and starting this afternoon workers are now serving all food at the buffets and continuely announcing "wash your hands"!!!!

Edited by KLMMD11

We arrived at 345am in port canaveral for loading work via a crane. They loaded huge CAT generators onboard for some work that needed to be done, but of corse it's now 3 hrs after sail time and we are still sitting here at the dock. They say we're going soon, but they say that every hour so far! We were told we will be arriving late to Nassau tomorrow now and the longer we sit the later out arrival will get if not scrapped! Not happy!!!!

Oh and starting this afternoon workers are now serving all food at the buffets and continuely announcing "wash your hands"!!!!

on our valor cruise for the western, we didn't leave till i think if i remember right about 9pm. hey if they are making sure things run smooth for my cruise then i am ALL for it. your on vacation, chill out, have a frosty and relax.. yeah it will s*ck missing some time at a port, but you are never guaranteed a port anyways.. breath deeeppp.. let it out slowly and say to yourself.. i am ON vacation where alot of ppl can not even afford to just get away let alone a cruise

And yet ... somehow ... life goes on.

:cool:

(you are on a cruise in the bahamas. tomorrow it will be -7 in ontario and I'm making sales calls. Trade ya?)

They loaded huge CAT generators onboard for some work that needed to be done . . .

Sounds like Carnival Splendor is now part of growing number of CCL vessels adding this rather butt-ugly box ("rent a gen") behind its funnel. Three Carnival ships in Nassau at the beginning of this month also had them. Quite unattractive, and seem to have been installed semi-permanently.

Sounds like Carnival Splendor is now part of growing number of CCL vessels adding this rather butt-ugly box ("rent a gen") behind its funnel. Three Carnival ships in Nassau at the beginning of this month also had them. Quite unattractive, and seem to have been installed semi-permanently.

The emergency generator is unattractive but it will look awfully good whenever there is a need for it for, oh I don't know, flushing toilets, lighting, navigational equipment.

The emergency generator is unattractive but it will look awfully good whenever there is a need for it for, oh I don't know, flushing toilets, lighting, navigational equipment.

I fully understand/respect your comment, and agree an industrial rental generator would, indeed, be an amazing item to have onboard in the event of "issues". If I was onboard a CCL ship with those challenges, I'd be myopic to the visual I mentioned, but . . .

. . . it would still remain butt-ugly nonetheless, looking like a container hoisted off a cargo ship, then wrapped in crime scene tape.

Rent%20A%20Gen%202-M.jpg

Rent%20A%20Gen%203-L.jpg

Rent%20A%20Gen%204-L.jpg

I fully understand/respect your comment, and agree an industrial rental generator would, indeed, be an amazing item to have onboard in the event of "issues". If I was onboard a CCL ship with those challenges, I'd be myopic to the visual I mentioned, but . . .

. . . it would still remain butt-ugly nonetheless, looking like a container hoisted off a cargo ship, then wrapped in crime scene tape.

Sadly they don't really make nice attractive generators. I'm glad they are putting the temps on until they can get all the ships through dry dock, where I presume they'll have the time and equipment to tuck them away in the bowels of the ship. The best you can say for the temp generators though is they are a big ugly sign that Carnival learned its lesson from the Triumph and is placing safety above visual appearance.

Probably doesn't run the whole ship just the important stuff..

You're probably right. I've worked with a lot of generators, and I've always been surprised at home much power you get out of a relatively small machine. Running lights takes very little power. I don't know how the water system works, but that's probably a bigger draw. As long as they aren't trying to run heat/air conditioning though it wouldn't take a massive generator. And generators are one of the few things where you don't want signficantly more capacity then you actually need.