Beginning to rethink my excursions

rfholcom

I booked my excursions as soon as I could and I have been happy with my choices. Now with a week to go, I am rethinking my decisions. Here is what I have. I am going with an autistic 7 year old who loves animals and nature but is scared of other things and an active 8 year old. We fly into Anchorage on Sunday. I plan on going to the Alaska Native Heritage, a Glacier Pilot baseball game, H2Oasis Waterpark and the Sourdough buffet and show(has anyone done this-how was it?). Sitka-Russian Heritage with the dancers and the Raptor Center. Ketchikan-Lumberjack Show and Totem Pole park. Skagway-Car rental to make the drive. We have reservations to the Soapy Smith show but I am not sure we can make it. We arrive in port at 7am but we probably will not get the car until 8. The reservations for the show are at 2. Can we make it in 6 hours?

Juneau-Whale Watching with Capt Larry and then car rental. I am rethinking the car rental because I am not sure what we will do with the car. I was going to drive to Mendenhall Glacier. The car rental is $40.00 for the day. Suggestions. Thoughts?

You choices all look good. In Skagway, 6 hours is enough to get to Emerald Lake and back in time for the show. In Juneau, I don't normally think that a rental car is a good idea, but I think your boys will both enjoy the beaches north of town, even if the weather isn't great - get out away from the crowds and "blow some stink off", as my Mom used to say :D

Murray

If you have a car, and depending on how much time you have after your whale watching trip, you could drive across the bridge to Douglas Island, take a left toward Douglas, go through the little town area to Sandy Beach (about 2 miles). Lots of parking and a choice of playing on the beach or walking the trail through the remains of the old Treadwell gold mine. Lots of ruins and some spectacular scenery (practically my favorite thing to do in Juneau). Actually, you could do both. Depending on your time, you might be able to include a trip to the Glacier as well as Sandy Beach. One day a few years ago, in less than 6 hours, we did "Juneau's Greatest Hits" -- the Glacier, gold panning up on Gold Creek and walking the Treadwell Trail. It was my last day in town and a quick recap of my favorite things.

That is indeed, a consideration. However, my recommendation stems largely from my experiences with my two nephews, now 20 and 22, who have grown up in Douglas, and have spent many hours at Sandy Beach and Treadwell. If you stay on the beach, I don't think there are too many pitfalls. And I don't see a problem with the Treadwell trail unless parents are unable to keep the kids on the trail. Another alternative would be to go the opposite direction on Douglas Highway, out to False Outer Point and Outer Point. Incredible scenery there, too, with beaches in both locations.

You'd need to check the salmon bake hours, but given the time you have, you should easily be able to do both. I haven't been to the salmon bake since it moved to its current location, but it is in the same direction as the glacier. As Yukon suggested, you might in that time also be able to go on north to the beaches in the Auke recreation area or Eagle Beach. Although I like downtown Juneau (especially outside the South Franklin Street area), I think kids often find it tedious. By the way, on Sunday, my sister saw a mother bear and two cubs at the glacier, so maybe you'll get lucky, too.

I am sure you have already thought about this. But does your son with autism have difficulty with loud and/or new noises. I have not been to Alaska yet (going in a month) but, I would worry about this at the lumberjack show - I saw a thing on the travel channel and it had a lot of loud noises. I am an OT so I think about these bizarre little things. Depending on your son's level maybe preparing a schedule for him (with or without PECS) could be helpful to handle the consistently changing routine. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived