The drives up - scary roads?

GeezerCouple

Hi,

I've just heard conflicting reports about two drives we were considering passing up (one might have an alternate route, one doesn't for sure).

First is Maui, the drive up to see the sunrise or sunset.

Second is Kauai, the drive up to view the "grand canyon of Kauai" (or other nicknames).

We've already ruled out the Road to Hana, for several reasons.

It looks like MAYBE only one of these two drives might have some driving along the edge of cliffs (below)?

On some such drives along canyons in the continental US, in many cases, one can choose the direction, e.g., N-S or S-N, so at least one is always - on these canyons, differs for mountains) on the "inside".

But we can't really do a "one way" drive *down* a long drive, and this type might have switchbacks so that both directions experience the drop off right next to the passenger side, anyway.

For those of you who have DONE these drives, is there one that really doesn't have severe drop-offs?

I think it's the Maui drive we've heard is NOT particular difficult in terms of "height anxiety", etc.

Many thanks!

GeezerCouple

We've done both drives (Haleakala a few times) - I don't remember drop-offs going up to Waimea Canyon, but Haleakala has a few spots that you might be a bit nervous. The road is in excellent condition though and if you drive at the posted speeds, you should be fine. I would consider doing it in the daytime though to avoid driving the road in the dark. It's spectacular to see in the daytime - see the photos that CruzBuds posted in the thread "Is it realistic to drive up Haleakala in the time that we have".

I would suggest doing both drives - they are both very scenic!

I would reconsider both of these drives, if you have someone with a fear of heights. You are going up a mountain/volcano on Maui. And while the road isn't right on the edge of the canyon at Waimea Canyon, there are some spots where you are looking a long ways down.

Going up, I don't recall it being bad. I have a severe fear of heights, and my husband did the driving, so I just closed my eyes until we were down.

The thing about Haleakala is that no matter if you choose to see the sunrise or sunset, either way you'll be driving in the dark one direction. The road is wide however, and there are not steep dropoffs as the road winds around itself. Driving canyons in California are much more nerve-wracking.

The Hana highway is extremely windy (wine-dee) as Im sure you've read, and there are some nervous spots. Plus its very narrow in some places, like one-lane narrow. Not for the faint of heart honestly.