Western itinerary for beach with kids on the Legend

canadian85

I tried on ports of call but not alot of action there..

I booked Playa Mia in Cozumel (looks good for kids), in Grand Cayman we will cab it to seven mile beach.

Not sure what to do in Belize and Roatan.

I have a snorel trip to Rendezvous Caye in Belize booked, but the kids are too young to snorkel (5 and 3) so we're basically using as a beach day. Has anyone been here to comment on sand/ water quality?

In Roatan, I've read that Mahogany bay is crowded and the water isn't as nice as other beaches. Other option is to book either West Bay (Banarama resort?) or Fantasy Island.

Thinking of booking with Island Marketing. Both are 6 hours, include transportation and 1 drink.

West Bay is 38pp

Fantasy Island is 32pp and includes kayaks and snorkeling

Which has a better beach? (shallow, soft sand, shade from trees). We have a 5yo and 3yo and just want a nice beach day.

Last summer we did the exact same itinerary with my 3 and 5 year old sons. I too thought that they were too young to snorkel, but I was wrong. We went to Chankanaab in Cozumel and as soon as they got in the water and saw the fish, they took over mine and their older brothers snorkel gear. I had purchased snorkel gear for them, but had taken them to a pool to try out before we left and they hated it and could not get the hang of it. So don't count them out on snorkeling. However, my kids do love the water. However, I did bring them their own life jackets, so I didn't have to worry about them in the ocean. In Roatan, we booked a tour with Victor Boden and had a fabulous time. For $25 a person (kids under 5 are free) you can get an island tour and go to West End Beach which is absolutely beautiful. We actually did the zipline and West End beach. My 3 year old was able to tandem zipline with me and he absolutely loved it and my 5 year old went by himself and was going upside down. It was the best day of the trip. I Victor Boden tours come highly recommended on these boards for a good reason. We didn't do the beach in Belize, so can't give help with that stop. I wish you luck. The Western Caribbean is fabulous and I am sure whatever you decide will be great.

I have a snorel trip to Rendezvous Caye in Belize booked, but the kids are too young to snorkel (5 and 3) so we're basically using as a beach day. Has anyone been here to comment on sand/ water quality?

In Roatan, I've read that Mahogany bay is crowded and the water isn't as nice as other beaches. Other option is to book either West Bay (Banarama resort?) or Fantasy Island.

Which has a better beach? (shallow, soft sand, shade from trees). We have a 5yo and 3yo and just want a nice beach day.

We did Rendezvous Caye/Carnival excursion....small spit of land...has a few large trees...sand was pretty coarse though. Water/snorkeling was decent...not much color/coral. They give you a mat to lay on...didn't see any chairs....or it was limited. Food was ok...limited selection. My wife and I - and friends - enjoyed the excursion...but I would have to think hard about taking younger kids if it were me. (not lots of toys...one could kayak...and water could be rough since pretty far out in the ocean. They have a small rock wall that goes around most of the "island"...no true natural beach area...that you climb down to go to snorkel). I think the sand was shipped in? The sand will be a lot better in Cozumel.

Roatan--we did West Bay/Tabyana....GREAT snorkeling..beach gets crowded..but more activity for sure. Plenty of chairs/trees/shade as well.

John in NC

In Roatan, I've read that Mahogany bay is crowded and the water isn't as nice as other beaches. Other option is to book either West Bay (Banarama resort?) or Fantasy Island..

In Roatan, head to West Bay Beach. Very nice there.

I haven't snorkeled in Belize yet, but it has a very good reputation.

An idea - get some of the tubs they sell buckets of beer in - good sand pails for beach.

Edited by Colorado Kat

Last summer we did the exact same itinerary with my 3 and 5 year old sons. I too thought that they were too young to snorkel, but I was wrong. We went to Chankanaab in Cozumel and as soon as they got in the water and saw the fish, they took over mine and their older brothers snorkel gear. I had purchased snorkel gear for them, but had taken them to a pool to try out before we left and they hated it and could not get the hang of it. So don't count them out on snorkeling. However, my kids do love the water. However, I did bring them their own life jackets, so I didn't have to worry about them in the ocean. In Roatan, we booked a tour with Victor Boden and had a fabulous time. For $25 a person (kids under 5 are free) you can get an island tour and go to West End Beach which is absolutely beautiful. We actually did the zipline and West End beach. My 3 year old was able to tandem zipline with me and he absolutely loved it and my 5 year old went by himself and was going upside down. It was the best day of the trip. I Victor Boden tours come highly recommended on these boards for a good reason. We didn't do the beach in Belize, so can't give help with that stop. I wish you luck. The Western Caribbean is fabulous and I am sure whatever you decide will be great.

We have puddle jumpers for them, but the 3yo likes to stay near the shore. The 5yo likes to use goggles in our pool and says she would want to snorkel. I don't think either would want to zipline! I can't wait for the day they do, but I think they'd be scared.

Victor Bodden is free for the 3yo.. then would we pay the 3 person rate $30pp? Since there would be 3 paying people? That would be $90, so it would be cheaper to book with Island Marketing for $76 since we would only go to West Bay for the day.

We did Rendezvous Caye/Carnival excursion....small spit of land...has a few large trees...sand was pretty coarse though. Water/snorkeling was decent...not much color/coral. They give you a mat to lay on...didn't see any chairs....or it was limited. Food was ok...limited selection. My wife and I - and friends - enjoyed the excursion...but I would have to think hard about taking younger kids if it were me. (not lots of toys...one could kayak...and water could be rough since pretty far out in the ocean. They have a small rock wall that goes around most of the "island"...no true natural beach area...that you climb down to go to snorkel). I think the sand was shipped in? The sand will be a lot better in Cozumel.

Roatan--we did West Bay/Tabyana....GREAT snorkeling..beach gets crowded..but more activity for sure. Plenty of chairs/trees/shade as well.

John in NC

I've seen pictures that show about half the island with shallow beach and the other half with the "wall" but hard to tell what pictures are of the other rendezvous cay.. Do both have a dock?

We're fine without chairs, and the kids only need water and sand. Kayaks would be a bonus. The only other option is Bannister Island which i've read has murky water and the beach that nice.

But both are "out in the ocean" so I imagine if one is rough the other will be too. Although wouldn't rendezvous be more protected from the reef?

I've been to Playa Mia 3 times before - kids loved it, and now they even have a waterpark. Seven Mile is a very nice beach too. We did Mahogany Bay a few months ago, and I didn't feel like it was crowded at all, and we were on the Dream. If there is more than one ship in port, it may be crowded. The water wasn't the clearest, but it was fine for a beach day. I don't believe that there are a ton of choices for Belize, but we chose that day to do a snorkeling excursion for ourselves and left our children in Camp Carnival. We were only gone for about 3 and half hours (we have 3, 5, and 7 year old boys), and it was nice to get some adults only adventure time. Also, I personally would feel that 4 straight days of beaches would be a bit much, especially for the little ones, but I know that all kids (and parents) are different.

I've seen pictures that show about half the island with shallow beach and the other half with the "wall" but hard to tell what pictures are of the other rendezvous cay.. Do both have a dock?

We're fine without chairs, and the kids only need water and sand. Kayaks would be a bonus. The only other option is Bannister Island which i've read has murky water and the beach that nice.

But both are "out in the ocean" so I imagine if one is rough the other will be too. Although wouldn't rendezvous be more protected from the reef?

The Carnival/Rendezvous Cay island has a dock. I too read reviews about Bannister and decided on Rendezvous. It was a windy day for us...so waves/current pretty strong...it was iffy on even doing the excursion on our trip. Nothing too hard to handle....but mainly there isn't a typical beach with small lapping waves. I liked the convenience of no tendering required and the excursion crew was great. For snorkeling you did have to follow guide...no independent wondering around.

Next week we are tendering and doing a private excursion to Goff Cay - pretty much same type of excursion..but their cookout/lunch looks better.

John in NC

We did this trip August 2012, in Roatan we rented scooters from a guy at the port and rode them to West Bay. We must have beat the crowd as it was pretty open. The water was some of the clearest I have ever seen and very calm. In fact, it was hard to tell where the white sand stopped and the water began. The beach is lined with palms and wooden restaurant/bars. Many of them rent beach chairs, I think we paid $5 per chair / day. Many different options to choose from to spend your time at the beach, locals offering fishing, snorkel, diving, parasailing, speedboats etc. We did not do any of these and just relaxed by the water on our chairs. The only downside was the constant parade of people trying to sell just about everything, but your going to get this at about every port of call in the Carib. Overall this was one of our favorite parts of the trip and always refer to that beach in conversations about vacations.

I tried on ports of call but not alot of action there..

I booked Playa Mia in Cozumel (looks good for kids), in Grand Cayman we will cab it to seven mile beach.

Thinking of booking with Island Marketing. Both are 6 hours, include transportation and 1 drink.

West Bay is 38pp

Fantasy Island is 32pp and includes kayaks and snorkeling

We've been to Roatan quite a few times over the years. On our last port stop there we decided to give Mahogany Bay a try just to see for ourselves.

It was really not that crowded. The water was gentle, the sand white ... with no steep drop-offs as you entered. Some have said the water was murky ... but it was clear the day we were there. There were some areas with lounge chairs under trees.

If you want to snorkel, that would be a negative. It's a man make beach with a white sand bottom so not good for snorkeling. Mahogany Bay is sort of a "Disney" version of the Real Roatan.

Still, it's quite easy and convenient.

Have fun planning your cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~~

We did Bannister Island in October after a snorkeling trip..personally I won't ever go back...while the pictures you see are beautiful...the sand is more like crushed rocks and shells and not comfortable to walk on..the water is murky and to be honest walking into the water was like walking into mud that sucked your feet in and wouldn't let go, not your normal ocean sand experience for sure...about 2 feet off shore I tripped over a roll of chicken wire that was submerged and down I went.....definitely not an experience I want to repeat

We did Bannister Island in October after a snorkeling trip..personally I won't ever go back...while the pictures you see are beautiful...the sand is more like crushed rocks and shells and not comfortable to walk on..the water is murky and to be honest walking into the water was like walking into mud that sucked your feet in and wouldn't let go, not your normal ocean sand experience for sure...about 2 feet off shore I tripped over a roll of chicken wire that was submerged and down I went.....definitely not an experience I want to repeat

There were alot of reviews like this and exactly why I didn't book Bannister.

Rendezvous seems like a nice (though very small) beach in pictures. Carnival told me that the adults can take turns snorkeling and the kids can play at the shore. Not sure if the beach will suit us, but there aren't any other options.

Even tried a private tour to Goff's Caye but that was full (and would have to tender to shore first).