Do many passengers take their own pillow from home?

Pillows pack easily with one of those space saver bags.

My dad used to bring his pillow, blanket and robe on trips. With space bags he'd suck the air out until those items were the size of a pair of pants!

Be sure if you bring this sort of thing, that they are not white. It's possible the cabin steward will mistake it for the ships and send it off to laundry.

If you can't sleep without your own pillow, bring it. Many folks do bring their own pillows. I would suggest a brightly colored pillowcase, so it doesn't get mixed up with the ship's bedding!

I prefer my own pillow, but can do without for 7 days.

I also bring along an extra pillowcase. I can't stand the thought of my pillow hitting the floor then having to put my face on it. Ugh! In addition to this admitted OCD problem, I take all of my personal bedding accutraments (CPAP, eyemask, pillow and Vick's ointment) and put them away so the room steward doesn't touch them. The thought of all my things I use on my face being touched by the same hands that pick up dirty towels and dump the garbage just sends me into panic mode. I also bring lysol or bleach wipes and wipe down the handles, sink, remote control, light switches and anything else in the room that are touched alot. I do this every day after the room has been tidied by the room steward. I'm not sure, but I may have a slight problem.....

Edited by triplett
typo

I have woderful memories of Wildwood How are you doing up there ? Is it built back?

Hi Oppalopa

We were so very fortunate that the eye of Superstorm Sandy actually came very close to landfall near us. That's why our friends up in North Jersey around Seaside and Staten Island NY took the real brunt of the Northerly winds and storm surge. If the eye would have been further south, lets say Ocean City MD or Rehoboth Beach DE, we would not have been so fortunate. Flooding was out our big issue, but didn't really have to deal with the winds that caused so much structural damage up North. Thank you for asking..

Back in 2006, I sailed on HAL's then new Noordam. It featured their 'Mariner's Dream Bed'. I liked it so much, that I bought a pair of pillows to take home with me! They gave us brand new ones in their wrapping on the last day. Since we did not have to fly, no problem toting them home...

They held up very nicely, and I just replaced them this year.....:)

I have never had any issue with cruise ship pillows......until I took a cruise on the Celebrity Summit two years ago. We had been delayed getting on to the ship because of noro and a deep cleaning. When we finally embarked and went to our cabin, we thought our steward was unlike any we had ever had. His English was not good and the room seemed a little unkempt, but we just figured it had to do with cleaning. We went to dinner at the late seating. And as happens many times, the 1st night in the MDR was a little disorganized and we were there longer than we had hoped. When we finally got back to the cabin and got ready to go to bed, I noticed a mark on one of the pillow cases. And after looking at all of them, I was absolutely disgusted. Every pillow inside the case was stained and one even had something that I was completely grossed out with. We called the steward and we got an upper management steward, who after coming to our cabin, complained that he was overwhelmed...

At this point I was in tears...it was probably 11:30 on a VERY long day. The steward got us new pillows after we waiting a while.

The next day, the original cabin steward was angry at us for reporting it. Give me a break.....no one else complained??

Obviously, since then, I bring my own pillow!!!!!

Pillows have never worried me, until two cruises on the same ship, where my pillow was full of tiny rubber granules, which had been washed enough times for them to clump together and make hard patches. They were replaced without comment on both occasions, but since then I take a spare pillow from home, complete with old navy cases from camping days (didn't show the mud, LOL!), and find that it squashes down well inside a soft top suitcase.

I hadn't thought about it until I saw this post.. and this cruise is from a drivable port.. and, well I just had neck surgery. So yeah I think I will this time.. and use a space bag to pack it, and use a colored pillowcase (or two). Learned a lot by reading this thread.