watching weight.... I did it !!!! well sort of

Jldevlin

We took a panama 18 day cruise with 3 days in Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago .. I thought I was being good .... lots of walking ,no bacon... and I gained 21 pounds !!!! I did not think this was even possible.On many 7 day cruises I have gained between 5 and 10.

So when we booked a 15 day to Hawaii all I could think about was ... crap that is 15 pounds I have lost that is going to come back on.So we went into it with a new thought .. can I eat what I want .. how I want ... and not come home with a small child on my hips??

We are very active 50 ish people ... we hike and walk all the time .. I go to a gym 4 times a week ..I dont eat red meat anymore and try to watch how I eat at home. But I dont have all the really good stuff at home either .. and all the choices 24 hours a day is so much fun. I also hate to cook so having food prepared for me is a treat all by itself. And that is the way I tried to look at it .

I found some of the choices before I sailed .. I knew you could get egg white for the omelettes ... so that is what I had every morning ... and fresh fruit with a cup of coffee and a container of skim milk. Mornings I am not really hungry so this was easy for me .

But then came lunch ..the deli was the best thing ... turkey wraps and they have pickled veggies right beside the deli counter. But they also had the best potato salad!!! So if I had a little salad I could not have dessert ...but if I ate the veggies I could have ONE piece of dessert. And then I would run out of there and go and find hubby at the pool having a burger and fries covered with chili ..but since I was full it never bothered me.

Dinner at the mdr was pretty easy ...We had anytime dining and we went around 6 .. ...I know from past cruises I really cant eat and appy and soup and entre and dessert. We tried to ask for the bread basket to not be brought to the table but they brought it anyways lol .. so if I had bread I could not have dessert ...and if I had soup I would not have an appy.And knowing if I still wanted more then I could always get more .

Now alchohol is another issue .. so lite beer it was ... and we stuck to one glass of wine with dinner ... this also helped with our bar bill !!!!!

The one thing that was hard for me was room service .. I love eating out on the balcony late at night ... so I made sure I had fresh fruit in my room for those munchies .. we did order a few times but kept the order small .. no extra cookies this time.

And this is not to say we were perfect .. we did do a buffet run one night for pizza ...and it was great ..but because we had not done it before it made it a little more special lol...

And I kept telling myself that just because there is food everywhere does not mean you have to eat it all .. I would have little bits of things I liked .. but only little bits ...not plate full.

We made a point of walking for exercise every day .. not just the wandering about kind you have to do to get anywhere ... and we had a plan to use the gym but it was rough the first time we tried and it is not fun to use a treadmill when the ship is moving and we never got back.

I really enjoyed every meal I had ... because I thought about what I wanted and not just have what was offered.. and having some one else cut up my cantaloupe is a treat all in itself!!!!

So after 15 days what was my gain ???? 4 .. yep still 4 pounds in 15 days .. that is a lot better than any other cruise ... and I still really had fun .. I just did not make it about eating as much as I could.

My first cruise I only gained 1 pound by watching what I had constantly, I also walked the jogging path everyday at least a mile mostly 3 miles.....my last cruise though I was slack about bread, alcohol and gained 15 pounds....I went to the gym every other day and every other day I walked the track...I have lost most of it back but I am not looking forward to the next cruise in 2 months for this reason. I do realize what I did wrong on this last one and as it will just be my DH and myself and not a large group like last time, I do believe it won't be as bad.

We cruise a lot 13 this year with 4 more before the end of the year.

I lost 35 lb's during that time. My secret I don't know but i'm very carful of every bit. Have found that a lot of my problem before was the salt, that is why you say it is easy to lose. I gave up salt don't use any, now the food on ship tastes so salty to me.

I'm very proud of myself,:D I also can't do much walking in fact I have a small gogo scooter to get me from one end of the ship to the other.