Question regarding Advance Purchase of excursion and current Guest promotion

divinmule

Has anyonehad any experience using the current promotion for the OBC for shore excursion and how that works if you need to do an advance purchase.

The promotion fine print reads that it "cannot be used to reserve shore excursions prior to sailing".

With that in mind if I reserve an excursion in advance with my credit card...can the OBC then be used once I am onboard to offset the excursion that I reserved with my credit card.

We really need to go ahead and reserve our excursions since there are only 3 spots currently still available for the dives we want to do. I find it amazing that 90 days out there are only three spots but we sure don't want to miss them since there are no good alternative dive operators in this particular port.

I have sent an email to the shore excursion group as per the direction of the Carnival rep that I spoke to, but was just curious to see if others had delt with this situation while I awaited their response.

Thanks

Has anyonehad any experience using the current promotion for the OBC for shore excursion and how that works if you need to do an advance purchase.

The promotion fine print reads that it "cannot be used to reserve shore excursions prior to sailing".

With that in mind if I reserve an excursion in advance with my credit card...can the OBC then be used once I am onboard to offset the excursion that I reserved with my credit card.

We really need to go ahead and reserve our excursions since there are only 3 spots currently still available for the dives we want to do. I find it amazing that 90 days out there are only three spots but we sure don't want to miss them since there are no good alternative dive operators in this particular port.

I have sent an email to the shore excursion group as per the direction of the Carnival rep that I spoke to, but was just curious to see if others had delt with this situation while I awaited their response.

Thanks

The answer is no to this. When you book an excursion on Carnival.com, it is charged in full to your credit card. You actually purchase it. If you have to cancel it the money is refunded to your credit card.

There is no way to use OBC to "purchase" an excursion online. It is not a "reservation," it is a purchase.

If you wait until you get on the ship, they yes you can use it to purchase an excursion ON the ship.

We have booked over 75 Carnival excursions over 35 cruises, and most were purchased before sailing to ensure the purchase. May excursions sell out before sailing, so pre purchase does work well.

If the excursion is cancelled due to missing or port of by carnival, the money you paid earlier via CC will be returned to you as OBC on the ship.

So I received a reply from Carnival, nice to see how accomadating they are regarding prebooking the excursion...

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We have received your email message and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Please go ahead and book the tour online. Once you have boarded the ship please stop by the Shore Excursion desk and they will make the adjustment on your onboard account.

Be careful! Many others have called with you situation and were told that the OBC for this promotion can only be used for excursions purchased on the ship. If you were to call Carnival you will likely get the same response.

There is no grey area here - the fine print on the promotion clearly states that this is only for excursions purchased on board. If you change your rates and have to pay more to get this promotion you will most likely end up very upset.

Be careful! Many others have called with you situation and were told that the OBC for this promotion can only be used for excursions purchased on the ship. If you were to call Carnival you will likely get the same response.

There is no grey area here - the fine print on the promotion clearly states that this is only for excursions purchased on board. If you change your rates and have to pay more to get this promotion you will most likely end up very upset.

I think I feel very confident in this case. I have their reply in writing. So I would be very surprised for Carnival to not honor that.

I think the folks that called and got a different answer need to contact the correct department..in this case the Shore excursion department directly. When I called the individual told me that this had to be handled thru the Shore Excursion department.

Also, If you read the fine print it does not say it has to be purchased onboard, it does state that it "cannot be used to reserve shore excursions prior to sailing"

For us its an easy decision, but of course everyone else will have to make their own decision.

I agree with you, but obviously the original poster is answering their own question, and what we posted is irrelevant.

Like I said after 35 cruises and over 75 Carnival excursions.....

....let us know how that works out for you:p

I agree with you, but obviously the original poster is answering their own question, and what we posted is irrelevant.

Like I said after 35 cruises and over 75 Carnival excursions.....

....let us know how that works out for you:p

Wow, you guys get a bit testy over these things.

I am posting exactly what I received in writing from Carnival regarding the situation. Trying to relay the info as we received it to perhaps help others wondering the same thing.

And in terms of numbers..while we don't have the awesome 35 cruises. We are platinum and since we dive every port on every cruise we have a pretty good handle on how excursions are typically handled.

So thanks so much for the input , hopefully the take home message for folks is to go straight to the horses mouth and get it in writing...then go enjoy an Awesome cruise. That is of course our plan. :D

• 3 months later...