MDR poll question

vols_159

Mdr dinning question Do you wanna sit with?  

436 members have voted

1. 1. Mdr dinning question Do you wanna sit with?

• Your party only
    • Strangers new table mates
    • Don't care im on a cruise

We choose ATD just so we can guarantee not being seated with others. In other words seating arrangements are far more important to us than dining time.

We do however enjoy meeting people throughout our cruise but in other situations we feel free to move on whenever we choose.

We chose early dining on our last cruise, also requested a table for 2. Luckily we were able to have the same table every night. I want to enjoy my dinner with my DH and not have to carry on a conversation with people I don't know, or care to hear their unbelievable life story. We ran into a fellow like that in the terminal and avoided him every time we saw him on the ship!

We prefer sitting as a family and choose any time dining for that reason. The tables are very close and we've had conversations with our neighbors and met some nice people. This way it's not awkward or obligatory.

We've been down the stranger route too many times and do not like it. The last 3 cruises we've done anytime dining and love it. Even though the tables are close to each other, you're not obligated to talk to any one but the person you are with. We like that.

Agreed!!

On two of my four cruises so far, I have been solo. I like how Carnival puts me at a table with other single cruisers. I enjoy getting to know where my table mates are from etc...

I will be solo on my upcoming cruise in Jan. This time, I'm hoping at least one of the other people at my table would like to hang out together from time to time. If not, no big deal! I have a blast on my own anyway!

Sat at large tables in the MDR a few times for dinner and at breakfast and HATED it! :mad:

Ever since, we've always requested tables for our family. It's great time to catch up with what everyone did each day and what we'll do that evening. :cool:

Edited by The4Cruisers

I answered this question much differently than I would have 10 years ago. I used to really enjoy meeting new people at the dinner table on a cruise, then we had a couple uncomfortable situations.....one with a couple of very introverted people (if it was uncomfortable for us, it must have been absolute hell for them) on CCL, one with a few women who only spoke German and the remainder of the table was far older than us. That didn't go well (That was on Celebrity)...one with people that came 25-30 minutes late every night (on RCI)

Since we cruise mostly NCL now and are able to meet people on OUR terms on the ship during the day, we can make plans with them in the evenings if we choose to, it's the best of both world; getting to meet people and have meals with them IF we want to.

Win-Win.

So, my vote was that we prefer to dine with our own party...esecially since we rarely if ever cruise without a group anyway these days.

You do if you go to a family style restaurant, which there are plenty of in certain parts of the country. I started cruising knowing we would be seated with strangers. I seem to mind it more now than then. I guess it helps if you have friendly people also at your table. A couple of times we didn't. Then again, they could have said the same thing about me. :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

We don't eat at places like that. We normally cruise with extended family except for one time. We were placed at a ten top with two elderly sisters and one really elderly scruffy looking guy that paid for three very young (looked like teenagers) girls.

The first night the guy and girls showed up. Before the main course was brought out, one of the girls got up and left. The next night none of the girls showed up but the guy did. He complained all through the meal that he had paid for the girls to be his companion and they were ignoring him. The next night he didn't show but two of the girls did. They complained about how creepy he was. We never saw the girl that left the first night again.

The whole thing was creepy and we actually got to the point where we dreaded going to the MDR for dinner.

DH and I always preferred a table for eight until two years ago when we were assigned a table for two. We loved it and now only get a table for two. Next week will be our 30th cruise and we are just plain tired of small talk with strangers. We are in our 60's, no kids, and don't care to have to sit with a family, or with 20-30-somethings who are so self-absorbed and with whom we have nothing in common. DH and I enjoy our own company.

But I think it would be nice if they let you request your table size like other lines do. It may (purely speculation) cut down on the amount of time the Maître D has to spend rearranging people that are unhappy with their darting assignment as well.

We have cruised several times now, and we have always asked for a 4top (and once a 6top) to dine with the friends we cruise with. We have always been accomodated and never had a larger table than what we asked for.

DH and I always preferred a table for eight until two years ago when we were assigned a table for two. We loved it and now only get a table for two. Next week will be our 30th cruise and we are just plain tired of small talk with strangers. We are in our 60's, no kids, and don't care to have to sit with a family, or with 20-30-somethings who are so self-absorbed and with whom we have nothing in common. DH and I enjoy our own company.

Couldn't have said it better.

I'm 32 and I chose the "dine with the person / persons you're with" option. I used to ALWAYS request a large table on my past cruises....then when I met my husband, I realized I enjoy yapping with him way too much to make small talk with everyone else for 2 hours.

I'm a banker and chat with people 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. I love being able to "give it a rest" over a nice, romantic dinner with my husband!! :D

But I do see why people enjoy dining w/others, as I used to enjoy it immensely as well.

Laura

Exceptionally well said I could not agree more.