Is the steakhouse really good Im considering going

gladimhere

I will be trying it for the first time on my next cruise. I was torn at first. I enjoy the MDR and it is free, but I do love a great steak.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Trust me on this, yes the food is amazing, but the steakhouse is also an experience. Refined elegance in the middle of the ocean.

I personally wasn't a fan of the MDR. I only ate there once on my first cruise and doubt I'll eat there at all on my rapidly approaching Conquest cruise. I found it to be too crowded and noisy. I'm on vacation to relax. So I've booked the steakhouse 3 nights plus the Chef's Table and the other nights I'll likely hit the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by carolinaviking71208

I am itching to go. We cruise with the same couple each April, and the husband part of the couple is one with the mindset, "I'm on a cruise with a TON of free food, why would I pay for dinner?".:mad::mad: Then DH feels bad and says we shouldn't go without them. I disagree:eek::eek: I am going next year, no matter what. lol

Make it a girls night out!:p

I was one of those that thought why go when the mdr is free? Plus I live in Tx where I can get an amazing steak at a few places? Well we tried it last cruise and it was awesome! The same meal would have cost us well over $100 at home. The service is fantastic and food yummy.

Only thing we didn't like was the cheesecake. Tasted like jello no-bake cheese cake. The choc sampler was yummy!

Edited by MichelleChell

It's quite good but not Ruth's Chris. I don't like the escargot preparation in the steakhouse. The Ceasar salad is served in a big hunk rather than smaller chopped pieces. The cheesecake dessert I had them cover so I could take to my cabin was HUGE! Didn't like it at all. The sampler looked better and I'll get that the next time.

We went to the Steakhouse and enjoyed it, but wouldn't likely do it again. The food is lovely but the portions are huge and we didn't find it any better than the MDR. Just different.

If it's the experience you are looking for, you should try it once. The price certainly isn't prohibitive and you'll be able to say you've done it.

I found the steakhouse upscale over the MDR but the service was a little strange. We went first night at 6:30 and there were about 6 tables occupied, there were about 5 servers. When they weren't actively serving they stood in a line near the bar area and stared at the patrons, a little creepy. The portion sizes were mostly huge but I ordered the mashed potato side and got about 2 tablespoons of potato, steaks you get to see ahead of time so you know how big they are. Cheesecake was sized for 4 but didn't have the traditional consistency more like the made with jello kind. Liked the free wine but felt the staff was doing on the job training.

and it my treat and possibly fit dining room in too.I think carnival does a nice job in dining room.Sorry if this was a repeat question i guess im very excited about cruise and still have over 100 days. I will try to not daydream for at least a week

Not daydream about your cruise for a week???

Let me know how this works for you...:confused:

I could NEVER do that!!!

Enjoy your cruise..

Pam

We will be going on our first night also. Love the free bottle of wine that comes with it that night. I should tell you that we are also going to the Chef's table on the same cruise. It is a little pricy but, it is our vacation and we want to make the best of it.....

I found the steakhouse upscale over the MDR but the service was a little strange. We went first night at 6:30 and there were about 6 tables occupied, there were about 5 servers. When they weren't actively serving they stood in a line near the bar area and stared at the patrons, a little creepy. The portion sizes were mostly huge but I ordered the mashed potato side and got about 2 tablespoons of potato, steaks you get to see ahead of time so you know how big they are. Cheesecake was sized for 4 but didn't have the traditional consistency more like the made with jello kind. Liked the free wine but felt the staff was doing on the job training.

It's called fine dining...

Foolish not to go????

I disagree, Now, I never went mind you, but I avoid mdr cause it takes too long, heard steakhouse is longer. MDR food doesn't impress me, so we buffet, just as good, so trusting the steakhouse scares me. Finally, we eat out at home about once a month or so, never in my 50 years have I paid 35 for one meal, even in tourist country where I live...heck why would I do it in a place I already paid big bucks to be on?

Foolish not to go????

I disagree, Now, I never went mind you, but I avoid mdr cause it takes too long, heard steakhouse is longer. MDR food doesn't impress me, so we buffet, just as good, so trusting the steakhouse scares me. Finally, we eat out at home about once a month or so, never in my 50 years have I paid 35 for one meal, even in tourist country where I live...heck why would I do it in a place I already paid big bucks to be on?

So you have never been to a fine dining establishment? Enjoy your buffet and $35 meals but you are missing out on a whole different world of food.

We were on the Pride last week. The MDR was not so good so we ended up at David's 3 times. It was the best part of the cruise.

I am of the opinion that the steakhouse experience actually depends on the ship. I LOVED David's Steakhouse on the Pride---it really was wonderful--and worth going more than once per cruise. But, the Emerald Steakhouse on the Glory, not so much. Two totally different experiences, just a couple of months apart. That being said, I'd still eat at the Glory steakhouse if I cruise on her in the future. Still a nice experience and a good restaurant, just not as good as some of the other ships. If I'm sailing on a Carnival ship with a steakhouse, I definitely will be eating there at least one time, if not more, during my cruise.

We will be going on our first night also. Love the free bottle of wine that comes with it that night. I should tell you that we are also going to the Chef's table on the same cruise. It is a little pricy but, it is our vacation and we want to make the best of it.....

RE: the free bottle of wine-

I will be getting the Cheers program, so my drinks will be paid for.

Wonder if they'd allow me to take the FW back to my room?

Probably not, I'm guessing..

Pam

RE: the free bottle of wine-

I will be getting the Cheers program, so my drinks will be paid for.

Wonder if they'd allow me to take the FW back to my room?

Probably not, I'm guessing..

Pam

They let us take it back to our room, we ended up giving it away at our meet and greet the next day.

A few have commented about their dislike of the cheesecake. I thought I would add my 2 cents on it, having been to the steakhouse on several different ships. I ALWAYS order the cheesecake at the steakhouse and have always liked it. However, each steakhouse has their own chef and the dinners and deserts are bound to be different. At some, my lobster dinner was 3 split tails and at others it was 2 split tails. At some the cheesecake was New York/Chicago style (smaller, denser, with a firm outside and creamy inside), and others it was more French style with gelatin as the binding agent and was light and fluffy (tho MUCH larger than typical French cheesecakes). I will add that at no time did it taste like a "jello" cheesecake. BUT, that doesn't mean it didn't taste that way to someone else.

Bob