Balcony upgrade worth it?

Reese88

Hello all-

I purchase the OV gty on the Inspiration and was upgraded (unless it changes) to the Empress deck. However, I was thinking of trying to call the TA and get upgraded to a balcony (and pay, of course). The cheapest balcony is on the Verandah deck, Cat 11. I remember someone saying that the balcony on the Inspiration was not worth it. Can anyone chime in on this? It would probably cost an extra $1000, roughly, IF they let me upgrade on a purchase I already made. Suggestions? Should I stick with the OV on the Empress?

Also, I noticed the Upper deck balcony (Cat 12) is more expensive than the Verandah but the Verandah is on a higher deck. Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks!

Hello all-

I purchase the OV gty on the Inspiration and was upgraded (unless it changes) to the Empress deck. However, I was thinking of trying to call the TA and get upgraded to a balcony (and pay, of course). The cheapest balcony is on the Verandah deck, Cat 11. I remember someone saying that the balcony on the Inspiration was not worth it. Can anyone chime in on this? It would probably cost an extra $1000, roughly, IF they let me upgrade on a purchase I already made. Suggestions? Should I stick with the OV on the Empress?

Also, I noticed the Upper deck balcony (Cat 12) is more expensive than the Verandah but the Verandah is on a higher deck. Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks!

There is no Balcony Cabins on this class of ship they are all suites.

The Cat 12 are bigger then the Cat 11.

Hello all-

Thanks!

I had a Balcony on a Fantasy Class Ship It was GREAT!!!!!!! try not to get the first on V1 it is next to the stairs back from that is better!!!! Watch out though this is where I got hooked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on Balconys!!!!!!:)

A balcony is VERY worth it!!!!! We had an extended balcony on the back of the boat on the Pride in october 2003. It partly made up for us being rerouted due to the hurricane in Cabo that year. Plus, if you can get one on the back of the boat you can look down (or up) and see if anyone else is out there (you can't see onto their balcony's but you can see them if they lean out too!). We met a bunch of people this way before we even left port. Be aware though that you CAN see (and be seen) by peeking around or under the sides of the divider walls (so don't do anything you wouldn't want photographed! :rolleyes: )

I think balconies are great, but I found on cold weather iteneraries (alaska or canada), they aren't as practical because you won't use it as much. When I was in Alaska, I had to force myself to sit out there so I felt like I got some use out of it....but I was freezing!

Lately I've been traveling solo, so I choose the inside rooms. They are only at a 125% surcharge whereas the balconies are 200%. I'm going with a roommate on the Legend in October and we got a balcony. When you are cramped up with someone, especially someoone you are not romantically involved with, having that feeling of "infinite space" is really nice.

1,000?? for a upgrade to a balcony??? and almost everyone here thinks its worth it?? this is NOT for a 7 day cruise.. this is for a shorter cruise. On a ship whose balconies are not very big at all. SOme balconies even have an obstruction.

for 1,000 I can buy a 7 day cruise plus airfare plus spending money for one person. WOW.. for 1,000 more that balcony better be on my house.

IMO

But is a balcony even aaileble for your sailing. Cat 11 & 12 are very few on the Inspiration.

We're going on the Elation and the upgrade to a balcony woudl have been exhorbidant, considering the Elation only has balconies on suites or demi-suites (?).

So, we are going with our little portholes.

I'm just happy to have a window to let some light in. My only other cruise was an interior room which was dark as a tomb. Nice for sleeping, but I'm going to appreciate having a view of the view before hitting the lido deck.

Besides. I told my PVP he's been an absolute blessing and joy to deal with, and sent him a thank-you card. I figure I'll stack the deck for the Upgrade Fairy, just in case it would ever be possible.

Don't worry, I'm not counting on it.

There is no way I would pay $1000 more for a Cat. 11 on the Fantasy class ships. A Cat 12 is very nice, but the 11's are not that much larger than the standard oceanview cabin (on the Fantasy class ships, that is). Yeah, you get a balcony, but I don't think it's worth nearly that much.

If you can't swing upgrading to a Cat. 12, stick with the O/V.

I vote for a Cat. 12 too. We just got off the Inspiration in a Cat. 11 and while it was nice it didn't compare to a Cat 8A on the Conquest. The cabin is not that much bigger and the balcony IS small. You almost hit your knees on the railing when you sit in the chairs.

Archived