Shuttle to Orlando airport with over 7hrs before flight leaves help!

luvndabass

Hi everyone. So our flight leaves Orlando at 6pm! Our VIP limo is picking us up at the port and taking us to the airport. We are a famiky of four and I know that they will go stir crazy in an airport for 6+ hrs. Any suggestions? Hopefully we can check our bags early and maybe we can take CAA somewhere? Thanks to all for any suggestions!

Generally most airlines won't accept your luggage for check in until 4 hours prior to flight time, you should check with your airline on their policy for that.

Rather than taking a taxi I would suggest renting a car for the 5-6 hours for getting around the area. The airport really isn't too close to many of the Orlando attractions. Using taxi's would get expensive quickly. Another positive for a rental car is you could keep your bags locked in the trunk while you tour the area and that would solve your checking in the bags problem. Renting a car at the Orlando airport is a pretty easy process.

Otherwise that's about it, unless you check into continuing to use your limo service for an extended day. I have no idea what that might cost.

Edited by Eng23

Agree with Eng23. Having a rental car in lieu of a shuttle has several advantages. It's cheaper (for 4 people). It provides storage for your bags. Finally, it provides transportation to several activities in the Cocoa Beach area that are quite interesting and help pass all that time.

Here is what you can do in the area:

1. Brevard Zoo

2. A 2-hour boat ride on the Indian River Lagoon with Island Boat Lines http://www.islandboatlines.com/Home_Page.php

3. An airboat ride at Lone Cabbage Fish Camp http://www.twisterairboatrides.com/

4. Kennedy Space Center

5. Ron Jon's Surf Shop (for looking or buying)

Several years ago, had some time to kill after a cruise. Took RCI transportation to Tampa Airport, rented a car, went to a movie, then chain restaurant for food. Kids were happy=parents were happy! Went back to airport, dropped off car, flew home. Everyone Happy!!!

We got a day room at the hotel on site. There were only two of us, but it was a nice place to drop our luggage, shower (didn't feel like moving that early on the ship ;)), and chill out. There is a pool your kids could use, as well.

We got a day room at the hotel on site. There were only two of us, but it was a nice place to drop our luggage, shower (didn't feel like moving that early on the ship ;)), and chill out. There is a pool your kids could use, as well.

I had forgotten to mention this. There is a nice Hyatt Hotel located inside the Orlando Airport terminal. You could consider a day room and use the hotel's pool, shop in the terminal shops and stores, there are multiple food choices in the terminal also, or you could just take a relaxing nap in your room. :)

Generally most airlines won't accept your luggage for check in until 4 hours prior to flight time, you should check with your airline on their policy for that.

Rather than taking a taxi I would suggest renting a car for the 5-6 hours for getting around the area. The airport really isn't too close to many of the Orlando attractions. Using taxi's would get expensive quickly. Another positive for a rental car is you could keep your bags locked in the trunk while you tour the area and that would solve your checking in the bags problem. Renting a car at the Orlando airport is a pretty easy process.

Otherwise that's about it, unless you check into continuing to use your limo service for an extended day. I have no idea what that might cost.

American Airlines took my bag about 10-11 hrs before my flight in Seattle after my AK cruise in Sept. I made the mistake of booking a red eye home and even after doing a post cruise Seattle tour still got to the airport around noon:mad: and had until about 11:30pm to kill. Thankfully I had access to alaska air's lounge through AA but still was a looooooooong day at SEATAC airport. Plus it is almost impassible to sleep on a 737 even in 1st class without lie flat seats.

American Airlines took my bag about 10-11 hrs before my flight in Seattle after my AK cruise in Sept. I made the mistake of booking a red eye home and even after doing a post cruise Seattle tour still got to the airport around noon:mad: and had until about 11:30pm to kill. Thankfully I had access to alaska air's lounge through AA but still was a looooooooong day at SEATAC airport. Plus it is almost impassible to sleep on a 737 even in 1st class without lie flat seats.

That's why I stated "generally no" and mentioned to check with the airline to find out their specific policy. In your case it is good that American accepted your luggage for that amount of time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you to everyone for your many awesome ideas.

I am considering cancelling our pre-arranged transportation and renting a car instead. I've promised my husband a "no brainer" holiday, he has been burning the candle at both ends and really deserves a holiday. We are going to Universal for two days pre-cruise (for the kids). My husband's idea of a holiday is to just show up... I am the planner!

I am more than slightly directionally challenged but after reading the boards the trip back to Orlando from the port doesn't seem too challenging. I may also look into a day room at the Hyatt as per other people's suggestions - after Universal my husband and I will likely be all "parked" out. I would rather keep the plans simple, a movie, a mall, a lounge chair:D! Even if that is beside a hotel's pool.

I really appreciate the information that I have received through these boards by everyone. It makes the stress of planning my family's annual vacation that much easier!

Warmest regards,

only 16 more days to go!