The Twelve Days of Cruising – live from QV November 2013

fantasy51

On the seventh day of cruising dear Cunard gave to me ...

... seven hours of sleeping

six dancing men

fiiiive luscious ... cakes

four breakfast fruit

three plumbing jobs

two social meets

and an upgraded ba-alcony

Oh, I hate it when the clocks go forward one hour. Morning comes too early. It was made worse this morning by hammering outside my room. I have no idea what was happening. I kept trying to get back to sleep between bursts of hammering. It is easy to forget about the need for maintenance on the ship. We complain when the ship is not kept up to scratch, but we complain when the maintenance disturbs our sleep. ‘Not in my back yard.’

On the eighth day of cruising dear Cunard gave to me ...

... eight friendly locals

seven hours of sleeping

six dancing men

four breakfast fruit

three plumbing jobs

two social meets

Today we are in Cadiz. We stay here until 9pm, and then sail for Gibraltar. It’s Sunday and people are out walking the kids or walking the dogs. One family chatted to us (encouraged by our admiration of their cute child) and the man revealed that he had been working at the port that morning in security, arranging clearance for all of us.

I am obviously a security risk. When it was time to go back to the ship, port security asked me about my handbag, and if I had a nail file in there. I produced it for their inspection and it was confiscated. It will be handed back to Cunard just before the ship leaves. I can collect it from the purser’s desk, though if it had been a knife, I would have had to wait for Southampton to collect it. Back in my room, I realised that possibly what they were seeing on their security screens was not the nail file but my first aid kit, complete with scissors and pointed tweezers.

How interesting....fantasy51 has found not only four hosts, but two passengers, to keep her dancing to the point of exhaustion. A topic in which I have great personal interest, since I am likely to be one of those passengers looking for a dance partner; any further comments on how the dancing is faring would be greatly appreciated.

How interesting....fantasy51 has found not only four hosts, but two passengers, to keep her dancing to the point of exhaustion. A topic in which I have great personal interest, since I am likely to be one of those passengers looking for a dance partner; any further comments on how the dancing is faring would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bob. The dancing is not as lively on this cruise as I have been used to on previous cruises. The floor is not as crowded, which is good, but I don't feel that the atmosphere is quite the same. The dancing is definitely of a social standard.

Once again there is a bit of sequence dancing. The two UK hosts are sequence dancers and the American ones have been prepared to try it out. This means I've had the opportunity to learn the Rumba One, Square Tango and Catherine Waltz, which is a change.

On the ninth day of cruising dear Cunard gave to me ...

... nine drinking glasses

eight friendly locals

seven hours of sleeping

six dancing men

four breakfast fruit

three plumbing jobs

two social meets

I can’t believe how much water and cranberry/lemonade I drink in a day while on board ship! It’s a mixture of the air conditioning and the dancing at night that makes me so thirsty. Of course, the glasses are also smaller than the ones I use at home, which means I have to fill them more frequently. I’m afraid I don’t tolerate alcohol well (half a glass of wine and my head spins) so I don’t have anything more interesting in all these glasses.

We have just left Gibraltar. Having walked down The Rock on my last visit, I decided I’d try the tax free shopping. It’s a good reminder that I HATE shopping. I don’t know how other people manage to find bargains and interesting clothes in foreign ports, because I don’t. All I get is headaches and nausea from low blood pressure from all the ambling and standing still waiting for friends. Actually, I did manage to buy a Swarovski Christmas star and a few fancy fans to keep me cool after dancing. Shall I aim for a different fan for each evening outfit?

OF COURSE you need a different fan with each outfit, to have any claim for fashionista status. A must-have for the discerning femme fatale, with so many uses to indicate which of your many waiting suitors is selected for the next dance.

Just got off Oriana. The music was everything foxy promised, but the overall atmosphere was something like you describe. I'm wondering what to expect for the passenger mix on QE in mid-December.

On the tenth day of cruising dear Cunard gave to me ...

... ten bargain tables

nine drinking glasses

eight friendly locals

seven hours of sleeping

six dancing men

four breakfast fruit

three plumbing jobs

two social meets

Once again the Tables of Tat are out in force. Today, however, there were actually some good quality items on display. It was the day of the Christmas Market when the best promotions were repeated. I generally arrive in the Royal Arcade an hour after the tables have closed. Today I actually managed to get there while there were still goods for sale. As usual, though, I did not buy anything.

OF COURSE you need a different fan with each outfit, to have any claim for fashionista status. A must-have for the discerning femme fatale, with so many uses to indicate which of your many waiting suitors is selected for the next dance.

I have noticed my fan is often in use when I'm up dancing. A friend at my table might use it. Last night one of the Hosts was trying it out while I danced with another Host. I have seen that experienced Dance Hosts bring their own fans.

On the ‘leventh day of cruising dear Cunard gave to me ...

... ‘leven floors of ship life

ten bargain tables

nine drinking glasses

eight friendly locals

seven hours of sleeping

six dancing men

four breakfast fruit

three plumbing jobs

two social meets

I know for some of you it’s twelve floors but for we plebs it’s only eleven floors! (Bow and scrape to my betters. Prepare for my next stint rowing the boat.)

Today we were handed our embarkation tickets. I felt the time on mine was a bit late (the problem of being on the fourth floor) and went to the Purser’s desk to ask if I could do self-disembarkation tomorrow. ‘Of course,’ said Purser One. ‘I would not recommend that Madam,’ said Purser Two. I realised what I’d asked for and assured him that I could swim! We have settled on self-disembarkation for the day after tomorrow.

Today we were handed our embarkation tickets. I felt the time on mine was a bit late (the problem of being on the fourth floor) and went to the Purser’s desk to ask if I could do self-disembarkation tomorrow. ‘Of course,’ said Purser One. ‘I would not recommend that Madam,’ said Purser Two. I realised what I’d asked for and assured him that I could swim! We have settled on self-disembarkation for the day after tomorrow.

Well if you did disembark tomorrow, it would save you having to settle up your account. :D

I hope you've kept that ship in good shape for us. Have a great last 2 days.

Don

I have loved your 'twelve days' postings Fantasy. Very impressed you managed to keep it up!! Sounds like you have had a great time on-board. All the very best for your homeward and onward journeys. Hope to hear from you on your return home. S

On the ‘leventh day of cruising dear Cunard gave to me ...

... ‘leven floors of ship life

ten bargain tables

nine drinking glasses

eight friendly locals

seven hours of sleeping

six dancing men

four breakfast fruit

three plumbing jobs

two social meets

I know for some of you it’s twelve floors but for we plebs it’s only eleven floors! (Bow and scrape to my betters. Prepare for my next stint rowing the boat.)

[laughing]

fantasy51, thanks for sharing your voyage with us. Wishing you all the best for your onward travels. Regards, -S

On the twelfth day of cruising dear Cunard gave to me ...

... twelve sad goodbye-es

‘leven floors of ship life

ten bargain tables

nine drinking glasses

eight friendly locals

seven hours of sleeping

six dancing men

four breakfast fruit

three plumbing jobs

two social meets

There are always some lovely people on a cruise and it’s sad to say good-bye. When will I see them again? Over the course of several cruises I have formed good relationships with a few staff members, and we are in touch by email. It looks as though they will be off the ship at the time of the next cruises I am looking at. Sad! There are also some lovely passengers who I have met on the dance floor.

Of course, there are others who I’m glad I won’t see again!

Thank you to all of your for your good wishes!