Question about Conquest Class Ships

Blueboss

Just returned from a wild ride on Elation. Rough seas and howling wind had us rocking for 3 days, nonstop. None of us got sick, but we were getting tired of staggering everywhere we walked, some pax were thrown out of bed and they put out the seasick bags. We have been on Carnival Magic in rough weather but didn't feel the ship moving unless a big wave hit us. We are booked on Liberty, Eastern Caribbean in Nov. and was wondering what to be prepared for on that size of ship. Will we feel as much movement as we did on Elation? Is it more stable like Magic? Or fall somewhere in between? More curious than anything since we have not been on a Conquest Class ship yet. Thanks for any input.

I just got off the Conquest on 11-9. The first sea day was so rough they cancelled the show in the big show lounge. Then the last sea day, it was even worse so they cancelled again. The last day may not have been the worst weather I have encounter on a cruise, but it lasted the longest. I didn't hear of anyone getting thrown out of bed, but they had to keep replenishing the barf bags. I didn't get sick, but if the roughness had continued just a little longer, I may have.

I can't say how another class ship would have done in those conditions. I was on the Elation a week before the Conquest cruise, and the seas weren't bad at all. This was my second time on the Conquest, and the first cruise (in January) the seas were pretty calm.

I think your thinking is on the right track -- somewhere in between -- but it does depend on the motion of the seas.:)

It's going to be in between, the Liberty is much larger than the Ecstasy and only a bit smaller than the Magic. I've certainly felt some rough seas on other Conquest class ships, and I've felt movement on the Breeze and Magic too.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking too. DH says we are not getting back on a Fantasy Class ship again. I think we will, just different time of year. We knew this one would be rough since the oil rig, at the mouth of the Mississippi River, was measuring 12 ft seas the few days prior to us sailing. We just didn't expect it to last for days.

Very hard to answer. Depends upon what mother nature sends your way.

Will say that in about 25 cruises on all classes of Carnival ships dont remember a show being cancelled due to weather. Can switch around a bit though.

Edited by golfadj

I think it has everything to do with the motion of the ocean, cold fronts and your ability to hold it together. We just had a cold front come through so it was very windy the last week, so that may have been what you experienced. I've been on the Liberty and had some rockiness in Feb last year and it was definitely bearable for me, not so much for my friends.

We had rough weather on both the Fantasy and the Conquest. You could feel it on both. We went through the tail end of a tropical storm on the Conquest and on the higher decks it was hard to walk but when we went down to our cabin on the Main deck it wasn't bad. On the Fantasy it was really bumpy on our last night and like on the Conquest the higher decks were harder to walk on but down low it was much better.

Any ship is going to rock in bad weather. If it bothers you I would stick to midship and low level decks when choosing your cabin.

Thanks for the replies. The first time on Elation was very calm. This trip.....Wow! They didn't cancel shows, which surprised me, I was expecting that a couple of nights. Rough seas here or there are actually kind of fun, but days on end was getting old quick. I did get my exercise though. When I hear the elevators banging away in the shafts, I'm taking the stairs! I can now navigate stairs for 4 decks, wearing 5 inch heels, staggering like a drunk and not break my neck! LOL DH just shook his head and said a prayer for all women. :D

I think it has everything to do with the motion of the ocean, cold fronts and your ability to hold it together. We just had a cold front come through so it was very windy the last week, so that may have been what you experienced. I've been on the Liberty and had some rockiness in Feb last year and it was definitely bearable for me, not so much for my friends.

We were watching the weather map on the cabin TV and saw the cold front dip down our second day out. It got rough for our last three days. I don't mind rough seas, they are great for rocking us to sleep. We usually book balcony but this time was interior and it got to me a little if I was moving around the cabin. Due to the high winds, they closed off most of the decks and had us all crammed around the Lido pool. The smells of food, alcohol, perfume, body odor and smoke mingling together didn't help. I have a cast iron stomach, but that was pushing my limits.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking too. DH says we are not getting back on a Fantasy Class ship again. I think we will, just different time of year. We knew this one would be rough since the oil rig, at the mouth of the Mississippi River, was measuring 12 ft seas the few days prior to us sailing. We just didn't expect it to last for days.

Yeah, that was when I was on the Conquest! :eek:

The show that they cancelled (same one twice) was Divas by the Playlist performers. They put a catwalk out over the middle of the audience seats and strut up and down while they are singing. I can understand why they would cancel that one. That catwalk isn't really big.

Yeah, that was when I was on the Conquest! :eek:

The show that they cancelled (same one twice) was Divas by the Playlist performers. They put a catwalk out over the middle of the audience seats and strut up and down while they are singing. I can understand why they would cancel that one. That catwalk isn't really big.

Jeanie, I was on Conquest on Nov 3rd too. It was pretty rocky at times, especially the first cruise elegant night and the last evening. I felt like I was still cruising for about 3 days after I got home from that cruise. I caught a terrible cold on that cruise too. I've been sick ever since I got home from Conquest.

In my experiences cruising, I think there tends to be more wind during November and December.

Just returned from a wild ride on Elation. Rough seas and howling wind had us rocking for 3 days, nonstop. None of us got sick, but we were getting tired of staggering everywhere we walked, some pax were thrown out of bed and they put out the seasick bags. We have been on Carnival Magic in rough weather but didn't feel the ship moving unless a big wave hit us. We are booked on Liberty, Eastern Caribbean in Nov. and was wondering what to be prepared for on that size of ship. Will we feel as much movement as we did on Elation? Is it more stable like Magic? Or fall somewhere in between? More curious than anything since we have not been on a Conquest Class ship yet. Thanks for any input.

That sounds awesome!!!

I have been on both ships you speak of, and in rough seas on both of them.

The last time I was on the Imagination, I actually took out my camera to video the swaying. I watched my closet doors sway open and then...whoosh! SLAM shut so swiftly. It was pretty neat and scary. I was afraid I was going to be rolled out of my bed from the ship moving so much.

It's really bad and you know it when they start lining the hallways, elevators etc. with the puke bags as in the case of my very first cruise on the Conquest back in '07. I'm surprised I ever got back on a ship. I learned about Bonine beforehand an started taking it and never got sick on a ship/boat again.

I just go with the flow (pun intended) and hang on to rails when needed. It makes the journey interesting IMO. I have faith in the Captain or FO that they will do what's best for all concerned.