Transfers in and out of Paris from CDG

We're stopping in Paris for three days on the way to Rome where we will board the Grand Princess. We will have two 26" suitcases each plus we will each have a carryon. We arrive early AM at CDG outside of Paris and three days later have an 8:50 AM flight onto Rome. Does anyone have any firsthand recommendations as to the best way of getting from CDG into the city, and then back? I'm investigating a shuttle, but don't know if with all the luggage there will be a problem. Also, with such an early flight out (on a Saturday), I don't know if it would be too early to get a shuttle. Private cars are expensive and I don't know if the taxis if Paris could take us with all our luggage so I might have to just bite the bullet and arrange for a pickup both ways, although I want to do it as economically as possible.

We used the "Bee Shuttle" in Paris. After much research, I found them to be the most economically priced private shuttle service. Even though our flight arrived at CDG 6 hours late, it was no problem for them. Then, for our flight out of Paris, the driver arrived at our hotel on time. By the way, there were 6 of us in our group and they had a minivan with plenty of room for all of our suitcases. We thought of using the train/Metro, but were glad we we didn't. We would have really struggled with all of our luggage!

Linda

We're stopping in Paris for three days on the way to Rome where we will board the Grand Princess. We will have two 26" suitcases each plus we will each have a carryon. We arrive early AM at CDG outside of Paris and three days later have an 8:50 AM flight onto Rome. Does anyone have any firsthand recommendations as to the best way of getting from CDG into the city, and then back? I'm investigating a shuttle, but don't know if with all the luggage there will be a problem. Also, with such an early flight out (on a Saturday), I don't know if it would be too early to get a shuttle. Private cars are expensive and I don't know if the taxis if Paris could take us with all our luggage so I might have to just bite the bullet and arrange for a pickup both ways, although I want to do it as economically as possible.

You can take the Air France bus into Paris going to one of the train stations and then get off and take a cab to your hotel,,it's about 17€ pp or you can take a taxi for about 50€(may be a tad more for luggage) for the both of you which really works out to abouth the same as using the bus.There is also the Blue Van Shuttle which for you both again is about the same as a taxi.If you use a taxi make sure you go outside the terminal to the taxi stand and only use the ones that have the Taxi Parisanne on top..DO NOT use anyone that meets you at the door as you come out and offers a cab,,you will get ripped off.Taking a cab back from the hotel early on Sat. would be the way to go IMHO as there is less traffic and it would not take long. The fron desk of your hotel can arrange one for you.Your luggage will not be a problem no matter what you do.I have done all 3 ways..alone I take the bus and with DH i use the shuttle or a taxi..I like the taxi the best.Enjoy Paris!!!!!!

Karen - My DH and I will be staying overnight in Paris. We will have our carry-ons with us (no luggage). Would you still suggest a cab? Our time is very limited in Paris. I read that the metro was fairly easy to use. We will be staying across from the Eiffel Tower. Also, this is our first trip to Paris. Merci!

My DH and I will be staying overnight in Paris. We will have our carry-ons with us (no luggage). Would you still suggest a cab? Our time is very limited in Paris. I read that the metro was fairly easy to use.
With only carry-ons, the best way of getting in to town from CDG is almost certainly just to jump on the RER, the regional commuter train service that has an arm out to CDG. It has many interchanges with the Metro, to take you on to your hotel or elsewhere in Paris. In fact, IIRC there's an RER line that runs very close to the Eiffel Tower anyway, so it'll be easy to change to that line if it helps.

Karen - My DH and I will be staying overnight in Paris. We will have our carry-ons with us (no luggage). Would you still suggest a cab? Our time is very limited in Paris. I read that the metro was fairly easy to use. We will be staying across from the Eiffel Tower. Also, this is our first trip to Paris. Merci!

Globaliser gave you a good answer...I just want to add if you use the metro/train just hold on to yiur belongings and be aware of who is around you.It is not dangerous,but the pickpockets do work the metro and they are very good.Have a great overnight in Paris...magical;)

We did the bus,,,once and NEVER again! It was hot, the bus was crowded, the driver did not offer to help and it was difficult to get a cab to take us to our hotel. THEN...when we got to the hotel the driver tried to overcharge us...AND I speak French! Use the shuttle..they take you right to the door of your hotel and are very nice. I have used the Blue shuttle many times and have been very pleased with the service! Have fun.

Karen

Take the train, it takes you to the center of Paris and the metro will get you the last bit. This will help!

I'm really proud of this tip - and hope others find it useful.

Buying a ticket at CDG for the RER is always horrific and can take hours as others have said in other threads. Also this route is regularly populated by gangs of ticket inspectors who don't take prisoners.

It isn't widely known but there is a booth at CDG itself where you can buy train tickets and disney entrance passes. There's a chap sitting at a booth all by himself - desperate to sell you your RER ticket!

When you arrive at CDG, look for exit 30 (may have to change level) on the arrivals level. Beside 30 is a RATP info desk. Buy a zone 1 to 5 visite pass for the number of days you are staying. I think it's 1, 3 or 5 - just look up Paris Visite for details.

This will cover your trips to and from the airport and all your central Paris travel on metro and bus. Also if you fancy a day at Disney it will take you there. It'll take you up the funicular to Montmarte and also gives you discounts to Galeries Lfayettee aand other attractions. It stops fiddling around.

Once you've bought the ticket go to the station and walk pass the heaving masses queing for tickets and go straight onto the platform looking tres superior.

I'm really proud of this tip - as everyone who I've told has said it's a lifesaver particularly those that have tried the station queue.

Enjoy Paris!

When you arrive at CDG, look for exit 30 (may have to change level) on the arrivals level. Beside 30 is a RATP info desk. Buy a zone 1 to 5 visite pass for the number of days you are staying. I think it's 1, 3 or 5 - just look up Paris Visite for details.
Thanks, uk1. That's a good idea.

Do you know which terminal exit 30 is in?

Glad it was of help.

There is always to a degree - a language issue - so unless you can speak a few words of French I suggest you print off the page and circle the ticket you want and take it with and say "deux" if you want two.

The French speak more English than they collectively admit to but consider it extremely polite if you stumble with your few words of school person Franglais.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

Just a couple of things, though: T1 is currently under major refurbishment, and the area now being worked on includes exit 30. (In fact, much of the info on the World Airports Guide is out of date.) So the T1 desk may be elsewhere. And most movements seem to be to the T2 complex in any event, where there may be similar desks.

I last bought tickets there a couple of months ago - and I'm not certain how best to establish whether things have changed.

I guess the best approach if anyone wants to check in advance would be to track through a relaible disney route as the desk sells those tickets as well.

Jeff

I last bought tickets there a couple of months ago - and I'm not certain how best to establish whether things have changed.
I think the refurb is a rolling process, as the shaded area seems to be different from that when I last looked. (Not that I'm sure why I looked, as my airline has been involuntarily decamped to the hellhole known as T2B as a result.) So it'll probably just be a question of turning up and looking for the place it's been moved to! :)

Bonjour Carl,

I think you'll be happy with the Bee Shuttle. I originally read about them on TripAdvisor.com. They certainly beat everyone else's price! When are you going to Paris?

What kind of math do you teach? My son will be a high school senior this year and will be taking Calculus BC. He loves math and is quite a whiz at it.

Linda

Going to Paris in October so I canvassed for prices of different Paris airport car/van shuttles and here is what I found:

Bee-Shuttle 14.50 Euro per person

Airport Line 17 Euro per person

Airport Express 55 Euro up to 4 people

Parisnet.net/Parishuttle 16 Euro per person for 2 or more people

Haven't decided on which one to book yet. I'm leaning toward Airport Express since it'll be cheaper for our group of 4.

As cash / costs seems to be a part of calculation here, have you accounted for the need to buy tickets for your travels around Paris once you've got to your hotel?

RER from CDG with Visite cards gives you the transfers and all your travel around Paris - and your return to the airport.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Is there an easy way to deal with luggage if you take the train like porters or something? I suggested this to my parents since our hotel is right in the LesHalles area but they don't want to have a difficult time dragging their bags around. Thanks.

Is there an easy way to deal with luggage if you take the train like porters or something? I suggested this to my parents since our hotel is right in the LesHalles area but they don't want to have a difficult time dragging their bags around.
No, there isn't. The advice to take the train is better for someone like Debbierpof who will only be taking carry-on luggage. The OP on this thread who has 2 x 26" suitcases plus carry-on will find it hard work trying to get into town by public transport.

The advice I usually give for the Tube in London is equally valid for the Paris Metro and pretty much so for the RER too: You can manage this if you can lift and move all your luggage in one go (with no shuttling backwards and forwards), carry it several tens of yards in one go, and walk up and down stairs to the same extent as about one storey. Otherwise, it's likely to be too difficult.

Hi Globaliser

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the train is not for us. We'll be spending nearly 2 weeks in Europe so it's not likely we'll be packing light. Plus we'll be landing after a 13 hour flight so I don't know just how much energy any of us will have!

• 2 months later...

We used the BEE shuttle. It was perfectafter a long flight with all the luggage we were

dragging with us. We did need to call from a payphone the 1800 number

on arrival as our terminal had changed. The driver was there to pick us up

within minutes after the call. Returning to the airport the next day

the driver was at the hotel at the specified time. We highly recommend

Bee shuttle!

Archived