What will happen if a storm prevents your ontime arrival at the pier?

flashdog_1

I'm thinking about the string of storms in the Caribbean right now. Even though none of them will impact my cruise in Alaska next week, I still have to get there and fly out from Atlanta which possibly could have such heavy rains that they close down the airport.

In situations like that, when the prediction of a storm's route will possibly cancel your flight, will your cruise/air package from the cruise line come to your aid?

I've heard of wonderful stories where Celebrity rerouted people so they could get to the port (although hours late, the captain held the ship because lots of people couldn't fly on time).

Yes, I have trip insurance, but as i read it, they will just try to get you to your next port of call if it is impossible to re-route you. Help! Our first port of call is on day 2, and I'll miss the Hubbard Glacier.

How helpful or unhelpful have you found your cruise line, airline, insurance policy, or travel agent to be in situations like the ones we may encounter very soon this summer in the early arrival of hurricanes?

Can i really expect help? I'm thinking if a storm is bound to impact Atlanta on embarkation day, would they send me out a day earlier so at least I'm on the Pacific coast?

Do i have to request help in anticipation, or wait for them to call me?

Appreciate your input.

i know that now, but the storm could also come in the day before!

These are the air arrangements the cruise line made for me. No one asked me, and I didn't request, anything different than flying and cruising on the same day.

i want to hear stories! i need to know what to expect. I want to know if celebrity will really treat me royally like the commericals on tv say!

If you booked your air through the cruiseline and there are a large number of passengers on your flight, I'm sure they will hold the ship. I've experienced this in Florida numerous times in the winter months when flights were delayed or cancelled due to snow.

If there are a significant number of passengers delayed they will hold the ship for a few hours, perhaps 2-3, but rarely much longer than that. If you booked your air through the cruise line they will simply fly you to the next port and your cruise will be shorter.

Again, ALWAYS fly in a few days early, this not only allows for flight delays and cancellations, it also allows for lost luggage to catch up, and allows you to be able to get on the ship as soon as embarkation begins, well rested and ready to enjoy that first day onboard.

We will be arranging our own air, but purchased insurance from the cruiseline---does this mean they will take us to the next available port???

I am no expert but........ I dont think air arranged by you is covered by the cruiseline. Just the cruise itself. Go with a 3rd party. As stated above, insuremytrip.com is a great website for comparing/purchasing insurance.

Oh a good question indeed. Let me answer from recent experience.

We booked air through the cruise line (Princess) Detroit-Atlanta-Milan-Venice to catch boat. Leaving afternoon, day before embarkation, flying overnight. Well right off the bat, storms in Detroit delay flight from there, by 2 hours. (ended up being 3 with 1 hour on runway in line for takeoff) We just happened to have 3 hour layover in Atlanta. Well as you can see, 3 hour delay, cancelled out the 3 hour layover and we missed the evening flight to Milan. Lovely, next flight with available seating space, 24 hrs later . Call Princess headquarters, nothing they can do for earlier departure. Well still ok, our cruise happened to have 2 days in Venice before departing, we could just miss a day in venice but still make boat sailing on day 2. Wrong. Get to Atlanta next evening (after overnight in hotel at our expense) and Flight to Milan is delayed due to weather in Atlanta. Flight leaves 1 hour late, guess what ? We had a 45 minute layover in Milan before flight to Venice. Thats right, missed that connection too. Next available flight out of Milan to Venice would put us in at 4pm. Boat sails at 1pm. Call Princess, nothing they can do, tell us to check with airline about flight to next port. Which just happened to be 2 days later, next day was day at sea then into Athens. Delta airline which we had flown, did after 2 hours of haggling, get all 3 of us onto flight to Athens that evening. We spent that night, next day (boat at sea) next night in Athens airport (which luckily is a lovely airport) before able to meet boat at Port. Throughout this fiasco, Princess headquarters, refused our pleas to contact the boat and let the rest of our party (which flew another flight) know what was happening, they were in the dark (and very worried for 3 days) Thanks Princess for all the help ! Sheesh.

Blondie77's story is pretty typical, yes, even IF you DO book the air through the cruise line and is yet another example why one should NEVER take a cruise unless you can fly in a few days early! There are many many stories on here that are quite similar to theirs.

I fly a lot and things rarely go off as planned... Maybe I'm just "lucky", but whether it's a weather delay, ATC delay, mechanical delay, or delayed baggage, it's almost always something! :(

I really prefer to fly in at least 24 hours prior to earliest boarding time. Unfortunately, my schedule would not allow me to do so this trip. We are going on a direct flight from Cincinnati to Fort Lauderdale the morning of the cruise (I'm hoping a direct flight will help a bit:o ). Any suggestions for anything else I could do besides getting the third party insurance (which I have). We leave September 24.

Archived