Silver galapagos nov 2013 review

carefreecruise

ABSOLUTELY... They have lots of excuses that they would lose their license if they didn't get back to providing service in the park. No way of upgrading existing guests due to the old company still makes all the provision orders till Jan first.The sales and marketing rep are going to call me next week to go over things, hopefully reduce the price and provide some refunds? If I remember right, your going on this ship next month. I guess you may be stuck in this December limbo time period....

We don't go until mid Feb. thank heavens. That should give them some time to put their new providers and single set of guests a chance to work. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. It will also be interesting to see what the rep offers you- and whether or not it is a ship wise offer or a personal one. The last short week cruises seem to be the week of the 7th December.

Ontravelbug- someone mentioned having one in their room- broken. And the original descriptions given by Silversea had a Illy in each room, then it was only in the top cabins, now- you obviously didn't and who knows. But if they are not functional then they are just space wasters. But can't you arrange to have the butler deliver coffee to your room? Surely that is not beyond them? Please tell me that is not impossible.

Edited by 5waldos

You are right there is no coffee maker or expresso machine in the room. However, the Grill is on the same deck as the Terrace suites, so with just a little effort, you can have coffee and a great view. I sent an email to silversea's home office with my concerns on how the cruise was advertised as a "luxury" cruse, but fell short in several areas. Despite all of the minor issues, it was one of our favorite cruises because of the Park Guides and the animals. It is a not to be missed experience. Silversea had the opportunity to make this an over the top experience, but tried to hurry the training and refurbishing schedule. I'll be interested to see their response to my email.

Sounds like it will be worth the effort for coffee & a view, can I wear my robe, lol;)

My travel agent said the rep will get back to her after the holiday- that she forwarded her my emails (I copied & pasted pieces of the complaints).

Does anyone recall that the ship was going to be totally refurbished? I now see it says certain areas.

I hope that everyone who was disappointed with their on board experience can get some compensation from SS & those of us who go post 12/31 will have a better on board situation. We are definitely going for the off ship/Galapagos so I know that will be incredible.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

We don't go until mid Feb. thank heavens. That should give them some time to put their new providers and single set of guests a chance to work. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. It will also be interesting to see what the rep offers you- and whether or not it is a ship wise offer or a personal one. The last short week cruises seem to be the week of the 7th December.

Ontravelbug- someone mentioned having one in their room- broken. And the original descriptions given by Silversea had a Illy in each room, then it was only in the top cabins, now- you obviously didn't and who knows. But if they are not functional then they are just space wasters. But can't you arrange to have the butler deliver coffee to your room? Surely that is not beyond them? Please tell me that is not impossible.

Yes, our butler kept asking what he could do for us. Room service should be no issue. Saying that, we didn't take him up on any room service as we were so busy, that it was just easier to walk to the Grill if we wanted something.

The ship had, what I considered an unusual experience, and that was a 11 AM hot bouillon daily event. We came to enjoy this when we came back from the morning tour. It wasn't well attended, and I am wondering if Silversea will drop it. My guess is that it is a left over from the previous owners.

The hot bouillon thing is a silversea thing, not a leftover. It is on all the silversea ships, as far as I know. We really looked forward to it on explorer when we were often frozen, returning from a cold zodiac ride. I really like it.

The hot bouillon thing is a silversea thing, not a leftover. It is on all the silversea ships, as far as I know. We really looked forward to it on explorer when we were often frozen, returning from a cold zodiac ride. I really like it.

Thank you for that information. This was our first Silversea's cruise, so don't know all the traditions. This is a good tradition.

I am a bit worried. We are on the Feb 1 cruise and I have been raving about SS to all of our friends but now with all the stuff I have been reading, I am definitely concerned. Frankly, if anyone (up until Jan 1) received substandard food, wines, or service, then they should be compensated. It is a shame they were never made aware of these shortcomings before signing up for the cruise. Why the cruise rates didn't reflect these seems like somebody dropped the ball big time.

I know I would have changed to a further out date than even the one I have. This seems so unlike SS. I am quite disappointed to read all of these stories as this was to be a special trip for my son and I and probably will never be another. I want so much for him to experience the high end shown by SS in the past. Again will keep my fingers crossed and hope they come thru.

• 1 month later...

We are going to be on Silversea to the Galapagos later this year. After the cruise we arrive into the Quito Airport at around 5:00PM but our flight out is not until almost 1:00AM. Will we be able to check right away upon arrival at the airport, get through security and then head to one of the lounges? We're concerned that we won't be able to check in upon arrival.

we arrived in Guayaquil around 3pm, they shuttled us to the Oro Verde hotel. it was actually very nice. we had cocktails, dinner, and a shower, then headed back to the airport around 11pm.

The lounge at the airport is horrible.

we arrived in Guayaquil around 3pm, they shuttled us to the Oro Verde hotel. it was actually very nice. we had cocktails, dinner, and a shower, then headed back to the airport around 11pm.

The lounge at the airport is horrible.

Good to hear the Oro Verde is nice- we are staying overnight as our flight isn't until 2pm next day. Not so good to hear the lounge is horrible:(