NOLA Airport shuttle vs taxis

thefish

I have made reservations for an airport shuttle for my wife and I from the airport to our French Quarter hotel and from the cruise port to the airport. The price for the shuttle is $40 from the airport and $36 from the cruise terminal for both of us, $76 total. By what I am reading (I do know about the taxi fare calculators on the internet) it would be just as cheap and probably more convenient to take an individual taxi. Should I cancel my reservations for the shuttle and just go by taxi? Wouldn't waiting for a shuttle to fill and then going to different hotels and destinations take a lot longer than standing in line for a taxi at the airport and at the port? Will their be a problem or long line at getting a taxi at the port?

Thanks

Duane

Greetings fellow cruisers. For anyone who is driving to the New Orleans area for a cruise, the Holiday Inn Metairie has a package of 179.00 for one night hotel for two people, two welcome cocktails, two free breakfasts and up to 10 nights parking. Again, this is per room..not per person. They will also provide free transportation to and from the hotel to the port of New Orleans for the cruise. PLEASE NOTE: Metairie is out by the airport and approximately 15 minutes from the French Quarter. If you would like to escape the craziness of downtown New Orleans and the French Quarter altogether then staying by the airport is a smart choice. I just wanted to pass this on as the Holiday Inn is giving a great deal for this all inclusive cruise package with parking. For information contact the hotel at:

Holiday Inn Metaire New Orleans Airport

2261 North Causeway Road

Metaire, LA 70001

Phone: 504-373-5946

Ask for Cruise Package Code IKHD1

I have made reservations for an airport shuttle for my wife and I from the airport to our French Quarter hotel and from the cruise port to the airport. The price for the shuttle is $40 from the airport and $36 from the cruise terminal for both of us, $76 total. By what I am reading (I do know about the taxi fare calculators on the internet) it would be just as cheap and probably more convenient to take an individual taxi. Should I cancel my reservations for the shuttle and just go by taxi? Wouldn't waiting for a shuttle to fill and then going to different hotels and destinations take a lot longer than standing in line for a taxi at the airport and at the port? Will their be a problem or long line at getting a taxi at the port?

Thanks

Duane

Some of the shuttle services are actually more than taxis. Yes there can be lines for a taxi, but they are lined up, and load quickly at both the airport and port.

I infrequently take taxis, and opt instead for the cheap buses and streetcars. :) Definitely not for everyone. :)

BudgetQueen - How did that work with your luggage? We each will have 1 lg rolling case, was that a pain in the tush to out on streetcar or the bus? Definitely cheaper way to go by far, just not sure how the luggage part would be??

Thanks for your help!

BudgetQueen - How did that work with your luggage? We each will have 1 lg rolling case, was that a pain in the tush to out on streetcar or the bus? Definitely cheaper way to go by far, just not sure how the luggage part would be??

Thanks for your help!

I pack light, and can easily haul my own bags. :) This is the key. Most people way overpack. I have no issue with loading on buses or the streetcars.

The airport bus, is the Jefferson transit. Loading is upstairs from baggage claim, on the same level as departures/arrivals. $2pp. This takes you to Elk. You can walk across the street and take the Loyola Streetcar, which goes down Canal. $1.25. I just walk down to Camp, staying at the La Quinta. I then walk to the ship. This is NOT for everyone, but works out just fine for me.

Thanks a lot guys. I will cancel my shuttle reservations and go with a taxi. Our problem with mobility issues and luggage will keep us off the local busses and streetcars for airport transportation. Even my wife's purse contains the inventory of a moderate sized dollar store. My brother and sister in-law have been living in the Caribbean on their sail boat for 15 years and have packing down to an art. They can get just about all the clothes they own in two carry-ons.

thanks again, Duane

The bad part is I dont know one bus from another and same for street cars. Hmmm, will have to think about that one lol. Would definitely like to save the $ for back and forth for sure. Thanks for your info :)

There is only ONE airport bus, Jefferson transit E2. You take it to the end. The driver will tell everyone to get off. :) Across the street is the Loyola Streetcar, you can see the stop shelter and the tracks. To go down Canal, take the streetcar, that heads left, again crossing the street and taking the far streetcar.