"Private" island vs port day?

cruz25

Hi-

Many people consider the private islands a highlight of Caribbean cruises because they offer a respite from the rush-off-rush-on port days. I've been to Labadee, Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays--all of which are spectacular and memorable with the warm, clear blue waters for which the Caribbean is known and offer a chance to relax in the sun, swim or do water sports.

There are always plenty of lounge chairs in the sun and shade (Labadee even has a few swinging hammocks!).

The pristine waters of the islands, their tropical foliage, and colorful cabanas, umbrellas and shops also are great for picture-taking. On Princess' island, my husband took a great shot of a hummingbird as he flew from one fushia flower to another.

You may not be immersed in another culture on these islands, but you do get a unique chance to spend a day at a gorgeous beach--without paying extra for the pleasure! - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

Like you, we travel to different ports to see more of the world. While we like beaches, to go to a private island (or even an island nation) just to go to a beach seems like a waste. We like seeing and doing things, and thus going to a private island doesn't seem like something that I would enjoy (and so far have avoided).

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are cruising for the first time this June! We are both 40, and while we enjoy being with and meeting new people, I also want to be able to explore some of the islands during our port stops without being elbow to elbow in people. We have decided to enjoy a beach day at Half Moon Cay, Ride Dune buggies at Grand Turk, and opted for a private boat tour/island stop/snorkeling at Nassau. I want to be able to enjoy my trip, but would love a little one on one time with my hubby and friends that are cruising with us! What dates will you be cruising? I do a lot of reading and researching of reviews for any trip we take, so that we get the BEST trip possible while we are there! I hope you find all the information you are looking for! Cruise Critic is the BEST!~

I just recently booked my first cruise. I reviewed itineraries that had at least 3 ports of calls (to places I had never previously visited), less days at sea and avoided privately owned cruise line islands - for the very same reason you stated within your OP as I did not want to have a day on the island with thousands of cruisers versus having the option to go and explore a port on my own terms.

In the end this is all about your personal preference.