"Private" island vs port day?

cruz25

My wife and I are planning our first cruise, to the Caribbean! We're early 50's, no kids. Some of the cruises we are looking at have a day at their private island, and some of them don't.

We travel to see other places. Is it worth spending a day on an americanized private island with a couple of thousand people when you could be in another port of call you haven't seen before (probably also with a couple of thousand people)?

I'm curious how people approach this decision when they are considering itineraries. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions!:)

The "Private Island", in most cases, is a wonderful beach day. In fact, DW now requires any of our cruises include two stops at Holland America's private island, Half Moon Cay.

I understand your wishes to see new places. Many people have sailed in the Caribbean many times, and have seen many of the islands. A private island is a good break.

My wife and I are planning our first cruise, to the Caribbean! We're early 50's, no kids. Some of the cruises we are looking at have a day at their private island, and some of them don't.

We travel to see other places. Is it worth spending a day on an americanized private island with a couple of thousand people when you could be in another port of call you haven't seen before (probably also with a couple of thousand people)?

I'm curious how people approach this decision when they are considering itineraries. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions!:)

Excellent question. If you are on a port intensive cruise a private island stop is a welcome rest. If you only have 3 stops and 1 is a private island I can see how this may not be what you would be looking for. People who have been to the same islands often like the relaxing oasis that a private island gives you.

If you are not interested in "Americanized" ports then you need to do lots of research to find a cruise that does not visit ports with that feel to it. You can also avoid it by planning an excursion on the water that day. Grand Cayman is that kind of port to me.

You sound a lot like DH and me when we took our first cruise, so I understand what you are asking. I would think that given your preferences, you might want to concentrate your research on those cruises that either don't include the private island, or that have it as just one of many ports of call. (At least for this, first, cruise).

We tend to prefer itineraries that don't include the private island. If we want to spend time on a beach, we book a land vacation. But there is something to be said for having this on a very port intensive cruise, as a change of pace. Personally, I'd rather just have another sea day.

That's one of the nice things about cruising- so many options.

I guess it really depends on what your interests are and what you want to get from your port calls. If seeing different islands that you have never been to with different people and culture is your goal, then perhaps the private islands may not be as appealing. But they too offer some diversity from your normal routine as they are located in places you probably haven't been to before.

Our personal experience is that we very much enjoy - in our case - the RCI locations and have been to both a number of times. They always provide a nice beach escape while still offering a number of activities if you are interested.

We like - and have been fortunate to have visited most of - the Caribbean and Bahamas Islands and always enjoy those ports of call. But we also enjoy the itineraries that include either CocoCay (Bahamas) or Labadee (Haiti) as they are two of our favorite stops. Those itineraries give us the best of both.

When we went to a beach on our stop at Roatan last year we were bombarded with vendors selling things and wanting to give massages. Is that often avoided on the private islands mentioned in this thread?

Both RCI locations are secure and controlled by RCI, so there is none of what you refer to. While both RCI locations have "straw markets" with vendors selling souvenirs, etc., they are isolated to a given area that you either go to or not. They do not wander around and bother you with their wares.

CocoCay is a very small island in the Bahamas that does have housing for a number of employees. But everyone - and everything else - is brought in off the ship. The closest "populated" island (with an airport) is about 5 miles away and there are employees and goods that can be boated in from there.

Labadee is a peninsula on the northern coast of Haiti that has similar housing on site as well. However, more local Haitian employees come in and out of the property daily when ships are in port. But the area is fenced, guarded, and secure so that only those employed there can enter. The nearest city with a port and airport is about 5 miles away.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I've only been to Half Moon Cay, and didn't find it Americanized at all. The beach and landscape are beautiful, and people are pretty spread out. The buffet can be crowded, but I must wait until the initial rush is over and then eat. A lot of people who don't like tendering just stay on the ship. If you've never been to a private island, you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Roz

It depends whether or not you enjoy beach days. I prefer my own cold beach, with a dog at my heels....I stupidly didn't realise that the vast majority of folk on my one and only Caribbean cruise went for the sun and sea. My OH loves to snorkel, so I sometimes would go with him to a beach for his sake, but the private island we visited offered me nothing, so I was soon back on the ship.

It depends whether or not you enjoy beach days. I prefer my own cold beach, with a dog at my heels....I stupidly didn't realise that the vast majority of folk on my one and only Caribbean cruise went for the sun and sea. My OH loves to snorkel, so I sometimes would go with him to a beach for his sake, but the private island we visited offered me nothing, so I was soon back on the ship.

Jo, what did you do when you when got back to the ship?

This could be helpful to others who decide the private islands just aren't for them.

LuLu

~~~~~

Yes, it depends on your interests. But if you like beaches - the private islands are the place. Safe, clean, beautiful. They are really like little slices of paradise.

I'd pick a private island over a port any day. But that's because I adore beaches and I save my beach lust for the private islands and do other things when in other ports.

We cruise to see the ports too. We have found that just about every port has a beach option but private islands tend to be just a beach.

A time will come when a future cruise will take you to a place you've been to before and then a beach day starts to look good.

Enjoy!

I'm not a beach person (don't even bring a bathing suit with me), but I still enjoy the private island. I take a stroll down the beach to enjoy the water and scenery and fresh air, then grab a drink and enjoy the band before I head over to the bbq buffet. I think you should try a private island at least once. I was pleasantly surprised when I did.

Roz

When we went to a beach on our stop at Roatan last year we were bombarded with vendors selling things and wanting to give massages. Is that often avoided on the private islands mentioned in this thread?

No, you will not be hounded by the locals. Everything that happens on the private islands, whether a true "island" (RCI's Labadee is not)or not, is strictly controlled by the cruise line. Some of them do have a market area where they let selected local vendors sell their goods, but they will not be hounding you every where you walk.

Jo, what did you do when you when got back to the ship?

This could be helpful to others who decide the private islands just aren't for them.

LuLu

~~~~~

Sorry- I've not been around for a few days.

This was my first real cruise (not counting the ones where you lived on a ferry going round the Scottish Islands), so I spent a lot of time wandering through the quiet ship and discovering where everything was; I had a proper lunch in the MDR and sat reading in the air conditioned library, which was superb (Sea Princess). I even ironed a few items in the launderette, then sat on the balcony, reflecting how very happy this whole cruising process was making me!:)

Hi, it really is a personal choice. I like the private island because it is a relaxing beach day or quiet time on the ship. My DH does not like the sun or beach (plus he is on medicine that states he has to avoid the sun). We either rent a clamshell or get off on the first tender to find shade on the island. I get my fun in the sun time and then we can share exploring ports. We have been traveling for awhile so we have seen many of the ports and explored the islands so a private island day is relaxing.