what happens in case of hurricanes

dadbflo

My wife daughter and I are planning a Disney cruise the last week of August and the first week of September. As this seems to be an active hurricane season, I was wondering what Disney does in the event of a hurricane.Reschedule the trip? change itineraries?

Song of Norway '88

Monarch of the Seas '93

Nordic Prince '94

Celebrity Zenith '96

Majesty of the Seas '97

All cruise lines will change their itineraries in order to bypass any hurricanes or tropical storms. In the event the storm is due to hit the embarkation port on the date of departure, the ship will either pull into a different port or stay at sea longer (shortening the next cruise). When this happens, generally passengers are given the option of canceling without any penalty - but it's not until a couple of days before the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We've sailed DCL Magic 2x and we're scheduled for our 3rd DCL sailing on the Magic Eastern 7 nite trip on Sept 3rd - 2005. Each time we have sailed the same labor day cruise. Well... my point.... is last year our sailng was disrupted y Hurricane Frances.

Initially - in the last few days before the cruise we were blissfully unaware that a hurricane was tracking right into the embrakation port. A couple days before we were to fly out we received a call from DCL. They were advising us that the hurricane was looking like it would hit exactly when we were to board! So we were asked not to travel in until more info was known. A full refund was being offerred - and alternatively - if we choose to sail a shortened cruise which looked like it would depart on MONDAY (5 nite) then they would refund 40% and provide a 25% discount off a future sailing - plus throw in another $100 cabin cradit.

Well - we were mostly wanting to simply go - not because of the incentives - but because we DID NOT KNOW what we were getting into IF we were to try and make the sailing. Our daughter was really looking forward to going and she's a tough little crud - not necessarily spoiled rotten - but she CAN stick thing out if she's motiviated.

So we tried to make the Monday sailing. IN SHORT - we changed our flights 7x (2x while enroute). Because every Florida airport was closed on Sunday - we ended up landing in Charlott - where we rented a car and drove into Jacksonville WHILE THE HURRICANE SWEPT BY about 100 miles south. Well... being 100 miles from the center means little it the hurricane is 100+ miles in diameter! Being from the west coast we didn't know better.

At any rate the cruise on Monday was rescheduled to TUESDAY and embarkation was shifted to Fort Lauderdale. PLUS - our 7 day sailng was being COMBINED with a canceled 3 or 4 day Wonder sailing. The Wonder was rumored as being diverted to Castaway Caye so that the crew could assist in rebuilding the resort facilities there (is that possible? I don't know!). But then - WHERE did the Wonder and it's crew go?

At any rate - for the change we had our refund bumped to 50% and DCL put us up for a nite at their Polynesian resort. Many others were put into midrange WDW properties - and we were given WDW Ultra Passes which we saved for a future visit. Also, DCL added free TRANSFERS to Fort Lauderdale as we were originally going to get to and from Port Canaveral via rental car.

As such - we look back on it and our decision to go has SOME appreciation for the challenge and risks posed by a hurricane = but it was quite a bit different doing it as opposed to thinking about it in advance WITH NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE. EVen SO - we had decided the cutoff of making the effore "justified" was that we would do it for a 5 nite sailing. Being stuck with a 4 nite was a little less than was worth the effort in light of the hurricane.

HOWEVER- what we discovered was that a 4 day sailing was actually quite satisfying. NOt to the same extent as a 7 nite - but it turned out to be nicer than we expected ONCE WE WERE ABOARD. The money back + discount + everything else (including a cabin upgrade) made the net cost of the trip effectively NEGATIVE. IE - it was like getting a FREE trip plus a thousand plus in money back. Odd - but that was how it worked out. Of course - it was NOT free - but we saved a bunch.

Also, in retrospect - the sailng was tolerable to the extent that we rebooked for the EXACT SAME DATE - making this the 3rd sailng on the same date / ship / etc.! This year has been forecast by NOAA as JUST AS BAD as last year. But are we worried? Naw.... if we are threatened by another hurricane .... and if at all possible to TRY and make the sailng ... WE ARE GOING TO MAKE A GO OF IT. We will trust that DCL will do what-ever they can to assist us and treat us fairly. Frankly, their crisis management execution was magnificent even though some folks had some gripes.

One bus broke down enrout to embarkation - and they held the ship since a replacement bus was about 4 hours LATE in getting the poor folks to the boat! PLUS - we noticed what seemed to be very FEW others who obtained an upgrade - and we even found one family who were given a DOWNGRADE. I'm sure DCL was going to do something special LATER for them.

By comparison - I heard that NCL did NOT act as DCL has exhibited in the face of adverse weather. I heard they sailed a ship RIGHT THROUGH a storm front to make port on time. Many passengers became seasick with the discoomfort - and they formed a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT! It seems DUMB for NCL to compromise so many passengers when they could have kept the ship at sea a little longer and dealt with passengers waiting to embark. Clearly they made a mony only decision - AND BY CONTRAST - DCL opened their wallet and settled with folks to keep their clientle comfortable and happy (or otherwise for the fanatics - like us).

At any rate - book in confidance - and be prepared to "dance" if a hurricane hits just right to scramble your embarkation. Debarkation disruptions DCL will handle + once aboard DCL will sail through a safe and tolerable course.

Hope this long chat of ours helps flesh out a picture of what might happen to you IF you're on a hurricane influenced DCL cruise - plus if you sail on the MAGIC 9-3-2005 cruise ~ hook up with us on the DIS board roll call thread - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=644166&page=1&pp=15

We would be happy to sail with you and kibbitz on the developements if we're threatened by a storm!

Adios!

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Disney tries its best to leave from PC but if they are unable to like last year they will detour your departure port to another port. Last year it was Port Everglades. They also will change the itinerary for the safety of the cruise and guests. You might miss Castaway Cay as well. You might wind up with a shortened cruise or even a longer cruise.

Tom,

reading your cruise from last year brought back some memories, we were on the same cruise, were not happy that it eventually got shortened, cost us 2 nights hotel extra, we never got put up for free, WDW passes or anything like that but we had fun once on board and are booked again for this 9/3/05. Didn't even bother putting in a claim against the insurance we purchased as I was just to pre-occupied with other things.

If I had know it was going to be 4 nights I would not have gone but as you said it was great once on board except for the moaning people who just couldn't get past all the bad!!!

Here's to a great cruise this year and many more years to come!!!!

Archived