Suggestions for pre-cruise hotels in San Juan?

ldlewis45

I'm looking for a pre-cruise hotel, for at least 1 night (longer if it's a good price). I've looked at places on several travel sites, I have really no idea of which to choose, though.

Depending on how many nights if you get a good price, check out vrbo.com or homeaway.com for a private home or condo. I needed 2 hotel rooms for my precruise stay in January and decided to check them out and found a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo beachfront on Isla Verde for $25 less then the 2 rooms I had booked at the best rate I could find. Now instead of 2 small hotel rooms, we have a full kitchen, living room and balcony on the 15th floor. Best part is, we are all together in one place.

They have alot of there especially if you are staying about 3 nights. I was lucky to find one for one night, most wanted a minimum stay.

Worth a try...good luck.

Edited by girlscruise2011

I'm looking for a pre-cruise hotel, for at least 1 night (longer if it's a good price). I've looked at places on several travel sites, I have really no idea of which to choose, though.

It's like booking any hotel away from home. All you have is a perfect picture with a perfect description. Just go with a gut feeling. People choose hotels depending on location, amenities, different price ranges. So, it's not a one size fits all thing.

We used Hotwire and got the intercontinental as we ask for four stars and have been worried ever since as the reviews have been horrible for that class of hotel despite major renovations! I walked by this place from the beach side twice on previous visits to San Juan and from the reviews the pool area next to the beach is the only part of the hotel that lives up to the hype ! We will just have to live with it as there is no going back once they have your money!

Do you want to be on a beach, or in the Old San Juan area? Do you prefer a hotel with more modern "American chain" type amenities, or a smaller boutique-style with a cultural or historic feel?

We like staying right in Old San Juan where you can walk to any number of interesting sights and restaurants. We also like to get away from the more modern chains, perfering a more historic property. The Sheraton is closest to the pier for Carnival embarkation. They usually have a two-night minimum, but many report calling and getting a room for one night. There are a number of other great choices in the OSJ area (most will require a short taxi ride to the pier unless you want to roll luggage over very bumpy sidewalks).

We have stayed at Villa Herencia (charming, yet not my favorite - cramped and dirty). El Convento is lovely but very expensive; there is a pool which is rare in the city. Our stay there was excellent.

Next spring we are trying Caleta 64, they are small apartments in the same area as the two mentioned. We are looking forward to having the use of a kitchen for coffee, sandwiches, etc. (although we do love the local food).

A good place to start your search is on the Tripadvisor site. Be sure to browse reviews for both San Juan hotels as well as San Juan B&Bs (they are in separate sections).

Edited by sippican

Hampton Inn Isla Verde was where I stayed last September before my eastern caribbean cruise. It offered a nice rate of somewhere in the $130 range with tax and was close to the main street in Isla Verde where a lot of restaurants and bars are. You can also do all your pre cruise beverage shopping at the CVS about 2 blocks from the hotel. Only thing is you will need a cab to get from SJU to the hotel and also from the hotel to the cruise port because they are not close together. Cabs run about $20 or so. From my experience, few of any hotels in San Juan have shuttles. I tried to get an interline deal at the Caribe for that trip but it was all sold out. Popular place and I have heard good things about it. Most hotels in PR are expensive though.

We stayed 2 nights at the Intercontinental this past Sept. It was, and probably still is, under renovations. The room was great. The renovations stop at 5pm so they don't bother you in the evenings. Most of the staff was rude. It took the waitress 30 minutes to get our drinks. The best part is the little bar on the beach. They were all very friendly and the drinks were great. Probably because they are totally separate from the Intercontinental.

There is also a hotel called Da House. I have not stayed there yet but I have booked my reservation for March. The price ranges from $100 to $120 a night. Its a simple place if you just want a clean simple room to sleep in. Also right in Old San Juan.

Read the reviews on TA.

We have stayed at Da House and will stay there again in March. It is above a Salsa Club and can be very noisy, also it does not have an elevator. You have to carry your own bags up the stairs. It has 4 floors, rooms starting on the 2nd floor. Their rates start at $80 a nite plus tax. We like it there and we are not young. They have a website & reviews can be found online.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Hampton Inn Isla Verde was where I stayed last September before my eastern caribbean cruise. It offered a nice rate of somewhere in the $130 range with tax and was close to the main street in Isla Verde where a lot of restaurants and bars are. You can also do all your pre cruise beverage shopping at the CVS about 2 blocks from the hotel. Only thing is you will need a cab to get from SJU to the hotel and also from the hotel to the cruise port because they are not close together. Cabs run about $20 or so. From my experience, few of any hotels in San Juan have shuttles. I tried to get an interline deal at the Caribe for that trip but it was all sold out. Popular place and I have heard good things about it. Most hotels in PR are expensive though.

I think that is where we are booked. Hampton Inn & Suites. We are sailing Carnival and really wanted the convenience of Old San Juan Sheraton but the prices were just too high. Even factoring in the cabs, the price at the Hampton is MUCH better. In addition it includes a hot breakfast buffet. Could you please tell me if it is easy to take the public bus into Old San Juan. We will be at the Hampton on Friday but are not sailing until Sunday. We would like to go into Old San Juan to tour on Saturday. We won't have luggage, so it should be easy. Otherwise it is cab from airport, cab to OSJ, cab from OSJ, cab to cruise. I'd like to cut out a couple of those.

There is also a hotel called Da House. I have not stayed there yet but I have booked my reservation for March. The price ranges from $100 to $120 a night. Its a simple place if you just want a clean simple room to sleep in. Also right in Old San Juan.

Read the reviews on TA.

I looked at it online. Unfortunately, there was only a room available for 1 night, nothing available for 2-3 nights.