Camera advice..

petitcanard

Hello! It's been a while since I've been on the forums but the posters on this forum are so helpful and knowledgeable, it's where I'm turning to for some help :)

A couple years ago we were in the market for an entry level dslr and ended up with the nikon D3200. While we're happy with the quality of photos, for me there are some downsides that have me shopping again..

- size, I just do not tend to carry the dslr around

- lag, both processing time and AF lag are a bit frustrating

Although the second would likely be addressed by dropping more $$ on lenses, the first issue has me not wanting to go there... So have literally spent weeks researching and have googled myself into paralysis. Help?

I'm looking for:

- a more portable camera size

- am open to fixed or interchangeable lenses, although a good all-around fixed might be the best answer for travel/portability

- am torn on zoom... Is 5x "enough" for most general travel situations?

- budget is preferably $500 or less

- would like a decent lens in terms of bright/fast

- processing/AF lag... Less is more :)

- I like to travel, so main use would be animals/birds, landscapes, buildings etc

- I have a bit of a bug/flower fetish so decent macro capabilities would be a plus

- decent saturation - I like color!

- would like some manual control capabilities

- wifi would be fun but not a necessity

I'm not sure if the camera of my dreams even exists (in my budget, that is!). I know I want too much and have conflicting desires... I just don't know where to trade off.. Which I also know is something no one can answer for me. Just looking for some thoughts/advice to help "unstick" me.

I've looked at the Canon S120 & S110, and the G16. Size on the S series is lovely but the lens and speed of the G16 are also tempting... Although price of S120/G16 is top of my budget. I considered the Canon sx280 but it appears to have a battery issue and not sure the lens combined with zoom would be all that useful except in "perfect" superb lighting circumstances.

Outside of Canon, a couple sales persons have said they don't like Nikon outside of dslr (?)

I groped most of the compact system cameras and like the size, but not sure about the interchangeable lens thing in terms of not wanting to diddle with lenses while travelling.

Have groped a number of superzooms but not sure again how useful they are in non-optimal lighting situations and in terms of speed?

I don't have any experience in terms of other brands besides Canon (p&s) and Nikon (dslr). Am open to anything.

Sorry for the long post.. Thanks so much for any thoughts on this!! I am heading to central Mexico in a month and Costa Rica in Jan so am hoping to settle on something soon, so I have practice time.

Edited by petitcanard

I picked up my Sony NEX camera to reduce the size of the travel kit and haven't regretted it for an instant. I have found the compact 16-50 zoom to be good for about 90% of what I shoot on a trip and the 55-210 zoom is small enough to fit in a fanny-pack or small cross-body camera pouch. The combination of the DSLR-sized sensor and the Canon G-sized body make for a versatile package that delivers superb image quality.

The Canon G series compacts are great cameras, but the small sensor and limited zoom have put them in an odd market segment with the Sony/Panasonic/Olympus ILCs offering better image quality in a similar-sized package and high-end compacts like the Sony RX-100 again with a larger sensor and better image quality in a body half the size of the G-16.

So many choices! It's a great time to be a photographer but a tough time to be a shopper!

Dave

Thanks so much, Dave, that was helpful! I'll test-drive the Sony NEX system for sure.

If I end up leaning toward the fixed-lens world, do you have a recommendation for Sony/Panasonic/Olympus in terms of models I might want to have a closer look at? I've never owned those brands so not sure how they compare, and with all the different models out there I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Melissa

Thanks so much, Dave, that was helpful! I'll test-drive the Sony NEX system for sure.

If I end up leaning toward the fixed-lens world, do you have a recommendation for Sony/Panasonic/Olympus in terms of models I might want to have a closer look at? I've never owned those brands so not sure how they compare, and with all the different models out there I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Melissa

Panasonic FZ200 would be a good option. So many choises so little time to explore them. :D It is like mine, and I love mine. We have had good luck with the Panasonic P&S cameras.

Used my FZ200 for the past year, great fast 2.8 lens camera, and with a range 24 to 600mm does the job, have a look.

Read through this thread on photo & camera discussion, which I had started last year, GREAT CAMERA !!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983

there some good info on the DMC-FZ200.

Tom :cool:

Thank you guys so much! Finally got back online today and did a bunch of research. That FZ200 thread was great!

I've narrowed down my decision tree a bit, and have decided I want (for now) to stay away from ILC's and I also don't want to compromise on zoom... But not at the expense of a horribly laggy lens...

So actually the FZ200 is looking to fit the bill well! Great reviews, snappy lens, and enough zoom to hopefully get some good distance shots of the birds and bees :). I know I'm giving up small size and some lower light performance but am willing to go there.

So I guess I start shopping! Although it would be nice to find a gently used one. Now if the new Olympus Stylus 1 wasn't a bazillion dollars, it might be a nice prospect too..

Thanks again for the help!

... Is 5x "enough" for most general travel situations?.

I would add that you should look at optical zoom vs digital zoom. Those point and shoots sometimes push how great the zoom is (16X!!...) but digital zoom is basically just the camera cropping the image. 5x optical zoom on a 10+megapixel photo will leave plenty of room to crop the photo down and still maintain a decent pixel size for prints.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app