First Post First Cruise Question on excursions Western Caribbean on Carnival Liberty

Oondee

Glad I discovered this wonderful site before our first cruise on Carnival Liberty (Dec. 14) to Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman and Roatan. DH is 79, and I am 66. My question is on excursions. I have read lots of reviews, etc. We would like to see the "best" Mayan Ruins -- is that Xunantunich, Altun Ha or Tulum? DH had hip replacement earlier this year, so although he can walk well (at least for the first hour or so), steps may be difficult. Which would be the best one? We thought either Xunan or Altun in Belize. Here is the snag for other excursions -- most seem to involve very active things like snorkeling, swimming, etc., and I don't swim. We also prefer not to spend nearly $100 each per excursion (through Carnival) if we can avoid it! (But will do the ruins through Carnival, since it is a long trip and we don't want to miss the boat!). Husband doesn't like shopping either! Any suggestions on what we could do at each of the ports would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Your best bet to find out about your ports will be to check out a guidebook from your library....all the info you need is there! All about ruins, beaches, shopping, eating, transportation, safety, etc....

As far as "non-ruin" excursions....you may not even NEED an excursion if you're simply wanting look around the port area and shop.....get a bite to eat....etc... A guidebook will tell you all of the available stuff...and HOW to get there!!

If there is nothing that suits you in a certain port, you are certainly able to stay on the ship! It will be virtually empty, although most things will be up and running! Port days are nice on the ship!

Welcome to Cruise Critic Ondee and congrats on booking your first cruise.

I would like to suggest a the following:

1 - find your Roll Call and meet your fellow cruisers. Some of them can answer your questions. They may also be planning some excursions which might be cheaper than the ones from the cruise line. Go to the boards, roll calls, carnival, liberty, then find the date of your cruise. Pop in and say Hi.

2 - go to the Ports of Call boards. each port of call has it's own board.

3 - go to the Carnival Board and ask the same questions. The Carnival cruisers will be more than willing to help.

All of the above options will be useful to you in obtaining answers to your questions.

Enjoy your first cruise.

Glad I discovered this wonderful site before our first cruise on Carnival Liberty (Dec. 14) to Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman and Roatan. DH is 79, and I am 66. My question is on excursions. I have read lots of reviews, etc. We would like to see the "best" Mayan Ruins -- is that Xunantunich, Altun Ha or Tulum? DH had hip replacement earlier this year, so although he can walk well (at least for the first hour or so), steps may be difficult. Which would be the best one? We thought either Xunan or Altun in Belize. Here is the snag for other excursions -- most seem to involve very active things like snorkeling, swimming, etc., and I don't swim. We also prefer not to spend nearly $100 each per excursion (through Carnival) if we can avoid it! (But will do the ruins through Carnival, since it is a long trip and we don't want to miss the boat!). Husband doesn't like shopping either! Any suggestions on what we could do at each of the ports would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Altun Ha will probably be easier for your husband to walk and there is shade. Tulum is beautiful especially since it is seaside but I don't remember there being shade.

http://www.tulumruins.net/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150813-d153186-Reviews-Mayan_Ruins_of_Tulum-Tulum_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

http://altunha.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291967-d300171-Reviews-Altun_Ha_Ruins-Belize_District.html

Tulum is a nice site. I haven't been to the other two. When I was in Belize about 6 years ago we went to Chachoban, and that was spectacular. There are a few steps to climb at Tulum but weren't to dramatic and spaced out. The thing with Tulum is your excursion will begin with a ferry to the mainland then a bus for about 45 minutes south to Tulum, something to consider. In reality the best ruins are Chichen Itza and Coba. They however are even farther away and could be a bit tricky for time. You would want to hire a cab for that, and well, that will cost a fair bit unless you can find someone to join you. If you don't go to Tulum, I definately suggest taking the ferry over to Playa Del Carmen. It is a great city, and there is so much to do there. We have actualy spent our last 2 winter vacations in Playa and not on a cruise. We almost went back again this year, then a cruise deal we just couldn't refuse...

Glad I discovered this wonderful site before our first cruise on Carnival Liberty (Dec. 14) to Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman and Roatan. DH is 79, and I am 66. Here is the snag for other excursions -- most seem to involve very active things like snorkeling, swimming, etc., and I don't swim. We also prefer not to spend nearly $100 each per excursion (through Carnival) if we can avoid it!.

I would do ruins in Belize. Stick to the Carnival excursion for Belize, since the ship will not leave without their ship excursions. Any ship excursion will probably involve a bus, so a few steps up and down.

Do you like relaxing beach days? Cozumel has Paradise Beach very nice.

In Roatan, you could tour with Victor Bodden and see the island.