South America

Hebe

We did the trip around the Horn in 2001

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1502/sacruise.htm

South America in general is not very accessible. If you can transfer to a car, then cabs are a good way to get around. There is little wheelchair accessible transportation for any tours...most are in regular vans or buses. Many places to see are upstairs, and curb cuts are few and far between. We took the manual chair ashore, which let us use cabs, and always found that tour van drivers were willing to help lift my mother into a van, but it was scary (she cannot stand at all). Learn a little Spanish (and some Portuguese for Brazil) as other than the guides you will not find a lot of English spoken. I was able to use my very limited Spanish to direct how to lift (and now NOT to lift) the wheelchair up steps, or how to pick my mother up in or out of a van.

If you only use a wheelchair for distances, you may want to consider Iguassu Falls. The Argentina side (train and trails) is very accessible, but a cab would be needed to get there from the airport. I am told there are accessible rooms at both the Sheraton (Argentina side) and the Hotel das Cataratas (Brazil side). Only a few paths on the Brazil side are really accessible, but the elevator to the viewing platforms at the Devil's Throat at the end of the road would be accessible.

Have not been to northern Brazil north of Rio via cruise ship, but have been to the interior, and access is very limited there too. Can't speak to any other of the ports north of there, but you might check out the southern Caribbean info here for info on the islands between SA and FL.

We had a great time in spite of all the problems, but of course we were on a cruise that lent itself to see many of the sights from the ship (Falklands, Cape Horn, Straits of Magellen, etc.)

Thanks for the ideas. My husband is able to transfer to a wan or car and can do some limited standing -- walking if he can hold on something. I guess I should have mentioned the Argentina to Ft Lauderdale is south around the horn and then north - thru the Panama Canel. So tips on that trip will be appreciated.

Deb

Hello Deb,

We cruised from Santiago to Rio on the Amsterdam (HAL).

My husband is a slow walker due to a stroke.

Took a folding wheelchair. This was a godsend! Got to see much more on shore.

If your husband can climb the bus steps, any city tour is great. The first seats are saved for disabled people.

I pushed my husband in all the ports.

The crew of the Amsterdam was wonderful. They carried his chair on and off the ship and tenders.

I was so nervous last year ahead of time, I was always posting here.

It is a fantastic trip. You can't do everything, but just being there and going round the horn was amazing. I loved the penguin excursion at Magdelena Island (He did fine on and off the ferry)

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer.

What ship and what month are you going?

The worst docking area is in Rio. Absolutely the worst we've ever seen. Stairs everywhere and no handrailings. Not much in the way of ramps. South America is probably 20 years behind in making things accessible.

Not sure what cruise line you were on, but in Rio, HAL covered the few steps with their own ramp and put down a carpet to ease the cracks between the cobblestones on the pier. We had no problems getting the wheelchair on and off the ship there and were there for two days. The crew always helped us over this rough section. We had heard it was bad, but it was not nearly as bad as we had heard...we have dealt with much worse in the USA.

Hebe, did you read my article above? If so, let me know if you have more specific questions.

We had a very smooth debarkation in Rio, so not sure what you are referring to. Certainly did not have problems with any stairs. We got off the ship, onto our tour van, and were off for the day. Tour company took us to the airport, waited for us to clear security (this was right after 9/11), be boarded our plane and slept most of the way to Miami. We got there at 4AM and were lucky to get bumped to first class for our flight back to LA. We got home tired, but found debarkation in Rio no more difficult than any other port, and better than many.

We had 2 nights in Rio post cruise. The walk to tour buses was difficult and rutted. Also carryons and luggage was checked at the pier. Guess we had two different experiences. The airport flying out was crowded but fine. Miami wasn't ready for our flight and we had to wait for customs for about a half hour.

Archived