Jewelry problem from Carnival ship

Davey Wavey

I bought a beautiful ring and pendant at a recommend store. When I got home to have it reappraised for insurance purpose.... it was GLASS very pretty glass. worth about $15 so said the jeweler. I just did a charge back. I have a very pretty fake pendant and ring My friend bought a diamond ring on the at a recommend store and it was fake too! yep believe it. no more good jewelry for us!

Unless you know enough to know a quality diamond when you see it, do not understand why people would trust someone in an island far from home they have never met before.

Unless you know enough to know a quality diamond when you see it, do not understand why people would trust someone in an island far from home they have never met before.

I do not understand how they passed glass off as a diamond without someone noticing it - quality aside.

And yes - there is the issue of buying a diamond from a tourist trap jewelery store on a island that may or may not be known for poverty, scams and crime.

I do not understand how they passed glass off as a diamond without someone noticing it - quality aside.

And yes - there is the issue of buying a diamond from a tourist trap jewelery store on a island that may or may not be known for poverty, scams and crime.

I have a beautiful star pendant....with small czs (about pt.05 size each...total about 1 ct). I'm a regular in the "NYC Diamond District" and I've worn it there a few times. Lots of the professionals (I mean real professionals...not DI salespeople) have complimented me on it...and are stunned when I tell them I paid $49 ten years ago.

My point is...unless you are a professional...with your tools...it's hard to tell.

Well, thanks for the advice. It is hard to have a good relationship with a jewelry store when the only jewelry I ever bought was our solid gold wedding bands for $80 from Target 20 years ago. :) My wife is a nurse and was never allowed to wear anything but a wedding band, so never wanted any jewelry. And the wedding rings cannot have raised stones that can tear gloves. So we never looked until now at rings with embedded stones in a flat surface. I will look at Sam's and Costco first and then a few local stores before I get her involved again.

I will say the salesman wanted me to put the purchase on my sign and sail card but I used a Chase Sapphire card. I always use it for anything travel-related or questionable or internet or problematic. It has THE best customer service when there is any problem. They are absolute bulldogs in getting your money back. It's nice to have the "big bad bank" on your side sometimes.

I really didn't like not knowing anything about diamonds when purchasing such an expensive thing, which is actually why I was looking in those places in the first place. I figured that between Carnival's guarantee and the "big name" store's guarantee, I would at least not end up with pretty glass or fake gold. That was also why I was so interested in the 1 year "any reason" return policy. I was going to have it appraised to make sure the diamonds matched what the certificate said (VS1, E-G, 2 ct is what I remember even if I didn't know what that meant). I didn't necessarily expect to get a better price aside from avoiding the 9% sales tax here.

Better to buy expensive jewelry from a local jeweler you have a relationship with.

I agree...someone you trust.

PLUS, when buying good jewelry (especially diamonds) it is good to follow up with an appraisal from another jeweler.

Well, thanks for the advice. It is hard to have a good relationship with a jewelry store when the only jewelry I ever bought was our solid gold wedding bands for $80 from Target 20 years ago. :) My wife is a nurse and was never allowed to wear anything but a wedding band, so never wanted any jewelry. And the wedding rings cannot have raised stones that can tear gloves. So we never looked until now at rings with embedded stones in a flat surface. I will look at Sam's and Costco first and then a few local stores before I get her involved again.

I will say the salesman wanted me to put the purchase on my sign and sail card but I used a Chase Sapphire card. I always use it for anything travel-related or questionable or internet or problematic. It has THE best customer service when there is any problem. They are absolute bulldogs in getting your money back. It's nice to have the "big bad bank" on your side sometimes.

I really didn't like not knowing anything about diamonds when purchasing such an expensive thing, which is actually why I was looking in those places in the first place. I figured that between Carnival's guarantee and the "big name" store's guarantee, I would at least not end up with pretty glass or fake gold. That was also why I was so interested in the 1 year "any reason" return policy. I was going to have it appraised to make sure the diamonds matched what the certificate said (VS1, E-G, 2 ct is what I remember even if I didn't know what that meant). I didn't necessarily expect to get a better price aside from avoiding the 9% sales tax here.

OMG!

A VS1...E-G....2ct...if GIA certified....depending on the cut, for the stone alone would be about $35,000.

I truly doubt, if that's what they claimed....the stone was GIA (or EGL) certified.

The certificates that they give you are "in house"....by their own gemologists....not independents.

I'm glad you were able to return it. In my "objective opinion" (and not knowing what you paid) whatever they sold you wasn't what they said it was.

If you want to spend that much, make sure the stone is certified by GIA or EGL....not just a jewelers opinion.

A properly certified VS1 G color 2ct decent round cut diamond from a TRUSTED online dealer can run about $25,000. If OP meant SI1, which would still have superb appearance, it can have online price of about $18,000.

If OP was thinking of earrings and total carat weight of 2ct, then the pair can run more like $13,500 for VS1 and $10,000 for SI1.

I would be shocked if you could find matching prices on the islands. I agree with TabbyKats: probably their store gemnologist.

Incidentally, nearly all people will not visually notice any difference between a VS1 or an SI1. But they will see differences in color and cut. I would go for an SI1 and best color / cut I could afford.

Arush: But were the steaks certified?

Edited by billie5